Thread: Land Rover 'investment blitz'

Proudly supports terrible french cars Aston Martin's Avatar
    Car(s)
    Italian Targa

Land Rover 'investment blitz'

Ambitious Land Rover plan 16 new models as part of £10billion investment blitz to double its production
    The new line up of cars was inadvertently leaked when it flashed up during a power-point display
    Variations include a family of six luxury Range Rovers, five leisure Discovery and Freelander models, and five iterations of the utilitarian Defenders.
    Land Rover is aiming to capture around 3 per cent of the global sports utility market by 2020

Land Rover is embarking on a major new model and investment blitz that could see production more than double to 600,000 vehicles by 2020.
    It has a seven year plan that include a line-up of 16 different Land Rover variations including a family of six luxury Range Rovers, five leisure Discovery and Freelander models, and five iterations of the utilitarian Defenders.
    Ambitious Land Rover is aiming to capture around 3 per cent of the global sports utility market which experts predict will reach 22 million by 2020.
    The investment is a key part of £10billion investment planned by Jaguar land Rover over the next five years.
    It means big expansion at the firm’s Solihull plant near Birmingham which builds the Range Rover, Discovery and Defender models, and particularly at its Halewood factory on Merseyside which builds the Range Rover Evoque and Freelander models.
    Expansion is also planned in China and India.
    The firm inadvertently leaked the extent of its proposed 16-car line up when its design director Gerry McGovern flashed up a slide showing silhouettes of the proposed vehicles on a power-point display during a briefing on its new Range Rover which goes on sale in the New Year.
    New variants of the next generation of five and seven-seat Defender include a ‘crew cab’ pick-up truck.
    A soft-top version of the Evoque ‘baby’ Range Rover is in the pipeline, as well as an even smaller Evoque.
    A new flagship luxury Discovery is also touted, as well as a ‘baby’ Freelander.

This is an Autocar/Daily Mail story. So make of that what you will.

Autocar

You can't rationalize cars like these. They're not something you buy with your head, you buy them with your heart because you love them. And who can explain love? All I know is, I love this tiny Fiat, more than I love the others.

Fiat Panda 1980 - 2011
    "I do this in my Fiat Panda."
    My greatness is often misunderstood as nonsense.

Car(s)
    5 cars + 6 bikes

Car(s)
    2004 Ford Fiesta & 1965 Ford Anglia
    I really, really hope Defender #4 is real and that awful modern thing will be sold side by side with the current one.

Car(s)
    '12 Corsa 1.4, '77 Dolomite 1.3, '76 Dolomite 1.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I really, really hope Defender #4 is real and that awful modern thing will be sold side by side with the current one.
    Doubtful, isn't the old one going out because they just can't keep it legal with new regulations?

Car(s)
    1994 Land Rover Discovery
    Quote Originally Posted by captain_70s View Post
    Doubtful, isn't the old one going out because they just can't keep it legal with new regulations?
    It will be eventually, but they keep pushing it back. Currently it'll finish being produced in 2017. The chances are production will move to India before then.

Car(s)
    2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
    I hope the new Defender is priced to compete with the Wrangler and Xterra, and doesn't become a rich toy.

"Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy." - Colin Chapman
    "If you think about it breast implants aren't much different than braces. Their main purpose is to improve one's appearance, at least that's how it was in my case." - KaJun
    "I got one comin for ya when I get home. No don't worry, santa is not going to surprise buttsex the multi-hatted mouse." -LP
    "So the [suspension's] spring seats fail every 2 years, so what? They cost less than $250 to fix. And if a person can't afford that every two years, than maybe he shouldn't own a car at all." - _HighVoltage_ on Volvos.

Car(s)
    '04 Impreza WRX
    When the hell did JLR hire Dany Bahar?
    We tried that earlier, didn't work. Beatings now.

Car(s)
    1995 Saab 9000 Aero
    They already had Dany Bahar and Swizz Beatz in one person: Victoria Beckham.

.sa = bad driver!
    Car(s)
    Walking shoes and rental cars
    Quote Originally Posted by captain_70s View Post
    It'll still be legal somewhere. Just like Toyota still makes the J70 Land Cruiser to sell to places like Africa and the Middle East.

Car(s)
    2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
    Yep. Until it becomes too costly to refurbish the machinery they'll keep cranking them out for whatever market that will still buy them.

"Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy." - Colin Chapman
    "If you think about it breast implants aren't much different than braces. Their main purpose is to improve one's appearance, at least that's how it was in my case." - KaJun
    "I got one comin for ya when I get home. No don't worry, santa is not going to surprise buttsex the multi-hatted mouse." -LP
    "So the [suspension's] spring seats fail every 2 years, so what? They cost less than $250 to fix. And if a person can't afford that every two years, than maybe he shouldn't own a car at all." - _HighVoltage_ on Volvos.

Car(s)
    1979 Opel Kadett; 1972 Ford Country Sedan
    So the Blitz is coming to Coventry again? Good work, D-Fence, good work.
    Battered and weary after the craziness of the 1960s, the self-righteousness of the 1970s and the greed of the 1980s, I want to go home again, oh, so desperately - home to that land of drive-in restaurants and Chevy Bel-Airs, making out and rock 'n' roll and drag races and Studebakers, Elvis and James Dean and black leather jackets. Not that I ever owned a black leather jacket.
    (Roger Ebert)

Previously known as Speedtouch Davetouch's Avatar
    Car(s)
    '00 9-3 2.0 Turbo Vert, Various MGs, '99 Ringoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Grip View Post
    So the Blitz is coming to Coventry again? Good work, D-Fence, good work.
    Unbelievable lol

But yeah - people still exist that ask why JLR is at the top of my 'want to work for' list.

Car(s)
    Feet, bus pass... :(
    I actually like the DC100, or that style... I think it looks modern, utilitarian, and has enough hints of the Defender in it to replace it. If they can make it reliable, relatively simple, and cheap(ish) I think it will sell rather well here...

Thread Information