15 15.79%
  • 3D

80 84.21%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: James Cameron's - Avatar 2D vs. 3D

Car(s)
    '04 Toyota Corolla LE

James Cameron's - Avatar 2D vs. 3D

I am so hyped to see this movie, but am debating on whether I should see it in normal 2D or the more expensive 3D.

How will you see it?

Also, discussion of the movie can go here also.
    Last edited by Ilpav; December 16th, 2009 at 4:04 PM.

Car(s)
    1995 Taurus SHO
    I'm seeing it in 2D. Somewhat because I don't have enough money for 3D, but mostly because I just can't be bothered with 3D movies. Although, it is tempting.

Car(s)
    '01 Mercury Cougar V6
    Eh...after seeing a couple movies in a row in 3D, I've come to the realization that it's not worth it to me. I mean, I'm glad I did it, and I see the appeal, but the thing I noticed is that the effect wore off after the first 20 minutes or so. At that point the novelty had worn off, it didn't feel any more immersive and my nose started to itch.

There is no such thing as a stupid question.* *but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Car(s)
    2006 Renault Clio 1.4 16V
    What about IMAX? I'm thinking of Avatar as a candidate for the first movie I see there

Car(s)
    Suzuki Swift 1.3 2006
    Apparently there's different technologies of 3D, where I believe IMAX uses the more advanced one.. So that should be a good place to watch it..

I LUV MY PRIUS!!! the Interceptor's Avatar
    Car(s)
    Beetle 2.0 TDI
    I don't have threedimensional vision since my right eye has been virtually blind from birth, so 3D is kinda out of question. Wonder what it looks like...

If you're going to stick your dick in crazy then make sure you know where all the exits are
    - MWF

Car(s)
    old Saab 9-3 coupé
    Avatar is possibly the film that interests me least out of every film ever made.

Having said that, the entire film was made to promote 3D and to hype it up*, so I think seeing it in 2D would be silly.

*"make it so eye-popping that it becomes the standard", was the industry exec paraphrased quote, presumably so they can get away with charging even more for cinema tickets

Car(s)
    '04 Toyota Corolla LE
    Quote Originally Posted by the Interceptor View Post
    I don't have threedimensional vision since my right eye has been virtually blind from birth, so 3D is kinda out of question. Wonder what it looks like...
    1.5D?

I saw this movie yesterday and if you are shelling out for a movie ticket already, please do add the couple of bucks and see it in 3D. This one is much more realistic and magical than other 3D movies up to now.

And yeah, this movie must be pretty cool in Imax.

anyway, the dialogues, characters and storyline are very run off the mill (and often quite cheesy), but the total immersion in a working alien world and species is a very nice experience. Very cool action as well, as well as romance. Something in here for everyone. All in all I had a very enjoyable evening, even with the hefty 11 euro price tag. But if there is one movie which works much better on a big screen and in 3D, it's this one.

Funny how belgium is one of the first countries to screen this movie.

Review by the NYT. They get it.
    http://movies.nytimes.com/2009/12/18...avatar.html?hp
    If I would have seen this movie in 3D at the age of ten, it would still be my all time favourite.
    Last edited by CyberMonkey; December 17th, 2009 at 11:41 PM.

Car(s)
    Whatever I can borrow :(
    Already ordered tickets for 3D this saturday. So waiting for that.

<Ice> [...] everything that comes out of your moouth (and not just towards me, but EVERYONE) is antagonistic and negative in one way or the other?
    <Ice> You're a two-faced bastard. That's all you are.
    <public> https://www.flickr.com/photos/725577...7644466561495/
    <Galantti> nice pics there public
    <Ice> They're ok. I wouldn't say they're nice.

Car(s)
    2003 Mazda 6 Wagon 2.0
    2D with subtitles. All the 3D / IMAX versions are dubbed over here and that sucks balls.

dubbing movies is one of the great evils of this age.

It's like choosing between being losing a leg or an arm for you

Just to let the Americans here know that you can be cheap tickets in warehouse stores like Costco for $15 for 2 tickets, and you can still use it for the 3D showings. 3D showing in my area is $13.50, so I'm almost getting an extra ticket free.

Car(s)
    '04 Toyota Corolla LE
    Yeah, my friend convinced me to go for the 3D (IMAX, $2.50 more than normal) because then he wouldn't go with me otherwise.

idk
    I'm not sure if I'm going to see that movie, because I don't like the genre... But after seeing one movie in 3D I'm not going in a 2D movie again, if there is a 2D possibility. If I remember correctly it's like 2 Euros more.. but worth every penny. But I go only like 2 times a year to a cinema...

Car(s)
    '03 Skoda Superb (farewell :(), '06 Honda Civic ES
    seen this in 3D on wed

what a film, probably one of my favourite this year and im glad i saw it in 3D.

for me, the first 20minutes is odd, like its obvious 3D, you can detect the effect going on in front of you...however once your eyes adjust, you kinda dont realise it. its still there, but you dont realise what its doing till you go back to watching stuff in 2D. thats how it should be, you dont want stuff flying out the screen and going all "look-at-me-look-at-me-im-in-3D!" ... no, instead it provides a lovely subtle effect that greatly enhances the appearance of depth in the film and i think it works a treat.

as for the film, i really liked it...i know the story isnt all that, its pretty straight forward, but the visuals were just magical. the Na'vi planet is just a masterpiece of art and design and you really do need that 3D to make it "pop". i thoroughly enjoyed it, ill be getting this on BR, thats for sure.
    Last edited by otispunkmeyer; December 18th, 2009 at 8:55 AM.
    03' Skoda Superb 1.9 TDi + 06' Honda Civic ES 1.8 i-Vtec

Car(s)
    '69 Mustang project, '92 Buick Retiree-gal
    I saw A Christmas Carol in IMAX 3D... and it gave me the worst headache I'd had in a long time.

...and it was still totally worth it, rocked my socks off. I'm definitely seeing Avatar in 3D.

so bring it on, 3D things flying in my face!!!

I'll just have to save some time afterwards to go and get some coffee to unfuck my head.

saw it last night in 3D, deffinatly go see it in 3D, like many have said it takes awhile to adjust and feels weird at first, but later on it just makes everything soooo much better. Really liked the film personally, deffinatly going to go see it again in 3D, want to see Pandora again.

Lazy Head Dude
    FinalGear.com Owner
    Car(s)
    2008 Dodge Viper, 2001 Mustang GT
    Pretty much everyone I've heard who's seen it in both formats (reviewers, etc) says it's better in 3D. One guy got sick kinda, but other than that.
    ... I ask Herb Helbig, vehicle synthesis manager for SRT and a member of the original Team Viper development group since day one, if they'd ever thought of adding traction control. "It comes with two," he says, pointing at my feet. "Learn to use them." Got it.
    - Motor Trend on the 2006 Dodge Viper Coupe, November 2005

Car(s)
    LeBaron GTC, Stealth R/T TT, N-SRT-4
    I saw it last night in IMAX 3D and I'm very impressed. It's a far cry better than anything I've seen in 3D before. It was the most visually stunning movies I've ever seen. It isn't perfect though. During fast motion there is a lot of blur. Also, I kept hearing about people saying that people with a fear of heights might not like certain parts of this movie. This raised my expectations. I was expecting the level of depth perception to be very visceral in scenes where they were looking down or jump/falling from great heights. However, it wasn't. It just wasn't enough to trick my brain into thinking it was falling which would have been really cool. Despite that little niggle I loved the depth perception of every other scene. Like when leaves, flying insects, and the seeds of the spirit tree of whatever it was called were floating around. The real beauty of the 3D is the definition it added. When you looked at plants, rock formations, and the character's faces it added so much definition. It was just incredible.

Now, for the movie itself. The plot is nothing new but it was one you could get behind. I really cared about what happened to the characters. And I felt really good when one of the protagonists took a dirt nap. Especially the main one. The voice acting was great and they got facial expressions and movement spot on.

All in all it was a great movie. I've heard it was astronomically expensive. I only hope enough people go to see it so that theaters and studios see that there is enough demand to make it profitable for them or we might not see another movie like this for a VERY long time if at all.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information