Car(s)
    '10 Lulzcer GTS, '84 Porschelump 944

2012 United States Grand Prix

Dude
    Dude
    Dude
    Dude
    DUDE

It--it's, like, practically in my backyard. I can't wait.

Also, several of us from FinalGear are going. If you're going, come say hi. Texasmeet thread here: http://forums.finalgear.com/finalgea...stin-f1-52677/

Brand spankin' new track:

I snooped around a bit at the Formula Run event they held there this weekend. It's gorgeous, and they're working 'round the clock to get everything ready. Most of the main parts (pit buildings, grandstands, medical buildings, etc.) look pretty close to completion. Track surface looks smoother than a Puffalump's bottom.

Can't. Wait.

I'm also loving that it's coming down to the end of the season for drivers' championship. Love this crazy season. MOAR!
    Last edited by ninjacoco; November 5th, 2012 at 7:43 AM.

Ever feel like throwing your hard-earned cash into a wood chipper? Well, then--you should give Team Porschelump money!
    ...- --- .-. ... .--. .-. ..- -. --. / -.. ..- .-. -.-. .... / .--. ..- ..-. ..-. .- .-.. ..- -- .--. .-.-.- /

Car(s)
    Alfa 145 2.0 Twin Spark 16V, dedicated ring toy
    Is it just me or does the 12-16 section look like the Hockenheim Motodrome

From what I've seen in Mario Andretti's run, this track looks more exciting than the other Tilkedromes.

puffalump? inquire here! ninjacoco's Avatar
    Car(s)
    '10 Lulzcer GTS, '84 Porschelump 944
    There were quite a few elements borrowed from other tracks. There were a couple racers involved early on (Hellmund and Schwantz), so I'm pretty sure they had a hand in making it as fun as possible while still meeting all the required safety blahblahblah now. Really, really want to drive it. Really, really, really.

Ever feel like throwing your hard-earned cash into a wood chipper? Well, then--you should give Team Porschelump money!
    ...- --- .-. ... .--. .-. ..- -. --. / -.. ..- .-. -.-. .... / .--. ..- ..-. ..-. .- .-.. ..- -- .--. .-.-.- /

Car(s)
    R19
    Yeah. 3, 4, 5, 6 are basically Maggotts, Becketts and Chapel, which the drivers say they love to do. 16 through 18 are Istanbulpark's Turn 8...

The track looks fantastic, I cant wait to see the drivers going at it there.

Car(s)
    '04 Skoda Octavia vRS
    Turn 1 also reminds me of the A1 ring a bit - long uphill straight into quite a tight blind-ish apex. Certainly looks like a good track though. It'll be interesting to see who's car works best around it.

Car(s)
    2014 CC R-Line, 2012 Golf R, 2012 Ariel Atom 3
    I'LL BE THERE!!!!!!!!

Also, if there's anyone on here interested in going to the race, I have two extra tickets that I'm looking to offload to a FG user for face value. They are in Turn 12 Grandstands which sold out ages ago, so if you want to go to the race and sit in a Grandstand your only choice is to pay the premium on StubHub, eBay or try your luck on CraigsList. I know this isn't the place to discuss this but I figured I'd throw it out there to help someone, I'm not making any money on the deal obviously (actually losing some), just hoping someone might want to go that hasn't found a seat yet. Feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by jsausley; November 5th, 2012 at 8:46 PM.

---
    My Facebook | My Fuelly

Car(s)
    2006 Mazda MX-5
    I just hope this sticks around for a while, at least long enough for me to see it live. I've not been to a GP since Indy 2006.

Previously known as zephyrus17 GaryC's Avatar
    Car(s)
    '90 Miata, '12 Octavia RS
    Looking forward to this, but having to wake up in the wee morning will just kill me..

Car(s)
    Kawasaki ER6n, Ford Focus
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryC View Post
    Looking forward to this, but having to wake up in the wee morning will just kill me..
    Prime time slot for us Uropeans, wee.
    Looks interesting, hope we see some action.

Car(s)
    BMW 116d & Yamaha Banshee
    Quote Originally Posted by 47 View Post
    Prime time slot for us Uropeans, wee.
    Looks interesting, hope we see some action.
    indeed! can't be better!

Car(s)
    Laguna, Landy Series III 88", Vulcan 900 Custom
    I've been looking forward to this race for well over a year now. It's great to see they managed to even finish the track in time for the race, let alone putting the finishing touches on the facilities. I really hope this goes well because it's a real shame that F1 has never really settled into the US even though the country is such a huge player in the automotive world.

Top Gear
    [18x04]...I was there!

"You shouldn't drive crappy cars, and you shouldn't drink crappy beer." - Eric Tingwall - Automobile Magazine

Car(s)
    2 Fox Mustangs, and an '07 GS500F
    I would've been there had the prices for hotels not been already through the roof back in April. Le sigh.

Car(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KaJuN View Post
    I really hope this goes well because it's a real shame that F1 has never really settled into the US even though the country is such a huge player in the automotive world.
    You mean those barges that are bigger than Belgium and run on leaf springs?

There are several reasons, why F1 never caught on in the States:

a) They do right turns
    b) Drivers aren't called Roscoe Buckshot Jr. III.
    c) There aren't no faux yellows for 'debris' whenever the leader is too far up the road

Car(s)
    Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Cellos88GT View Post
    I would've been there had the prices for hotels not been already through the roof back in April. Le sigh.
    I had to go 60 minutes outside of Austin to find a reasonable rate, I looked at the place now and they are charging 5 times the rate I booked.

One unnamed team principal, asked if Mosley really was going to step down, said he would believe it "only when I see the stake through his heart."

Car(s)
    R19
    I think it's completely weird they don't just let you camp somewhere near. It'd create such a nice atmosphere and good opportunities to sell as many pattys for barbecuing motoring enthusiasts as you could possibly wish.

Car(s)
    E46
    Quote Originally Posted by mpicco View Post
    I think it's completely weird they don't just let you camp somewhere near. It'd create such a nice atmosphere and good opportunities to sell as many pattys for barbecuing motoring enthusiasts as you could possibly wish.
    If I recall, Nascar has stuff like that. Rednecks and the smell of barbequed red meat EVERYWHERE; sometimes I wish F1 was a bit more like that and not so elitist.

Car(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pininfarina_ View Post
    If I recall, Nascar has stuff like that. Rednecks and the smell of barbequed red meat EVERYWHERE; sometimes I wish F1 was a bit more like that and not so elitist.
    Well, they're two entirely different cultures. F1 started as a fight between Europe's car makers, while NASCAR was started by alcohol smugglers. Even with the restrictive rules of today F1 is still the most technically advanced form of motorsport, while the barges in NASCAR are on a technical level that the rest of the world gave up on, when ox-carts went out of style. That pretty much explains F1's 'eliteness'. You can experience that NASCAR-like atmosphere in Europe. Just show up at Wehrseifen during the 24h of the Nurburgring.
    The stark difference comes from a fundamentally different philosophy behind European and American motorsports. In Europe, it's all about racing. He, who goes fastest wins. In America it's all about the show. If F1 would be run like NASCAR or CART of the olden days, Vettel would have caused dozens of full-course yellows last year by being too far ahead. While I don't like such meddling, I think the Americans got something right - they know who pays their bills. They are very close to the fans. I was at the American Memorial 500 at the Eurospeedway in 2001. It was the race where Alex Zanardi lost his legs But before that a very good time was had. I went there with my dad. Two premium tickets - best grandstand seats with Paddock access on all days - had cost me 1.500 Deutschmarks. Two el cheapo bronze tickets to the 1996 Belgian GP had come in at 1.200 Deutschmarks for comparison. In the paddock I sat in Paul Tracy's car and spent about half an hour talking to Mo Nunns mechanics, who gave me a complete lecture on their telemetry software and let me take part in a poker game Imagine that - I sat in Mo Nunns garage on one of Alex's used tires playing poker with two of his mechanics - you can't imagine that happening in F1 can you?
    Last edited by lukenwolf; November 9th, 2012 at 6:54 AM.

Car(s)
    E46
    Quote Originally Posted by lukenwolf View Post
    Well, they're two entirely different cultures. F1 started as a fight between Europe's car makers, while NASCAR was started by alcohol smugglers. Even with the restrictive rules of today F1 is still the most technically advanced form of motorsport, while the barges in NASCAR are on a technical level that the rest of the world gave up on, when ox-carts went out of style. That pretty much explains F1's 'eliteness'. You can experience that NASCAR-like atmosphere in Europe. Just show up at Wehrseifen during the 24h of the Nurburgring.
    The stark difference comes from a fundamentally different philosophy behind European and American motorsports. In Europe, it's all about racing. He, who goes fastest wins. In America it's all about the show. If F1 would be run like NASCAR or CART of the olden days, Vettel would have caused dozens of full-course yellows last year by being too far ahead. While I don't like such meddling, I think the Americans got something right - they know who pays their bills. They are very close to the fans. I was at the American Memorial 500 at the Eurospeedway in 2001. It was the race where Alex Zanardi lost his legs But before that a very good time was had. I went there with my dad. Two premium tickets - best grandstand seats with Paddock access on all days - had cost me 1.500 Deutschmarks. Two el cheapo bronze tickets to the 1996 Belgian GP had come in at 1.200 Deutschmarks for comparison. In the paddock I sat in Paul Tracy's car and spent about half an hour talking to Mo Nunns mechanics, who gave me a complete lecture on their telemetry software and let me take part in a poker game Imagine that - I sat in Mo Nunns garage on one of Alex's used tires playing poker with two of his mechanics - you can't imagine that happening in F1 can you?
    Wow....that sounds amazing. You're lucky My dream is to be able to sit in the pit area like so many celebrities do.

Car(s)
    2006 E87 BMW 130i RHD
    Le Mans.

End of story.

Nokia N95 8Gb | Nokia N97 32Gb | Nokia N900 32Gb | HTC HD2 | Samsung Galaxy 7.0 P3100 | Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 | Asus Google Nexus 7

'10 Ford Bantam 1.3i | RHD
    '09 VW MKV Golf GTI 2.0T DSG | APR Stage 1 | LHD
    '08 Honda Civic Coupé | LHD
    '06 BMW 130i | RHD
    '05 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS | RHD
    '05 Ford Bantam 1.3i | RHD
    '95 Mercedes Benz E320 Sportline | RHD

Car(s)
    R19
    Well F1 is indeed an european concept but come on, it's out there now. There are less and less European races left and Bernie is talking about leaving about 4 or 5 of them in the near future. So F1 adapts to the new cultures it goes to, and honestly, if it wants to live off the jet-set, it's gonna have a hard time. So it's a good idea to cater to the fans.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information