Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fastest cars in the world.... in the future

LP
    Car(s)
    2011 Honda Civic

Fastest cars in the world.... in the future

Before I go on to the main topic, let me just say that I was REALLY REALLY REALLLYYY bored. So before any of you tell me I have no life and whatnot, I want to just say that yes I do agree I have no life .

Anyways, what I did was to take the list of the fastest production cars and their top speeds listed by year and speed off of wikipedia and then put it into excel.

I wanted to see if there was a link between the year the car was made, and the top speed. And I'm delighted to say, that there is.

The R^2 value is not bad. Sure there are some dates missing and I think at one point the fastest car was actually slower than its predecessor, but otherwise that's a pretty good correlation wouldn't you say so?

The only downside is, that if the trend continues as is, we will see a road-legal production car with a top speed of 300 mph only in the year 2037

Let the "Lurker, you have no life and you suck" flame fest begin

Oh and the link to the fastest production cars is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fastest_production_car

Car(s)
    2006 E87 BMW 130i RHD
    you really are pretty bored.

how about a game of cs?

edit - by 2037 the roads will be so packed that you barely do 30 anyway. 300mph would be shit scary though, it wont be exciting anymore, just plain fucking shit scary. i dont think i'd have the balls to do that at the age of 52
    Last edited by MadCow809; February 15th, 2008 at 3:39 AM.

Nokia N95 8Gb | Nokia N97 32Gb | Nokia N900 32Gb | HTC HD2 | Samsung Galaxy 7.0 P3100 | Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 | Asus Google Nexus 7

'10 Ford Bantam 1.3i | RHD
    '09 VW MKV Golf GTI 2.0T DSG | APR Stage 1 | LHD
    '08 Honda Civic Coupé | LHD
    '06 BMW 130i | RHD
    '05 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS | RHD
    '05 Ford Bantam 1.3i | RHD
    '95 Mercedes Benz E320 Sportline | RHD

LP
    Car(s)
    2011 Honda Civic
    That's a good idea bro, I think I might just pop the hood on steam and get some CSS action going. Either that or half life or something.

And yeah man, the roads will be hugely clotted up. I think by that time we should have hover cars and whatnot. If not I'm staying at home when I'm 50 . We can play CS or something

Neener, neener, I banned your title! No Boss's Avatar
    Car(s)
    '03 BMW M5
    Wow this thread is too nerd even for me haha.
    2000 Pontiac Bonneville (a dark 4 months of my life) - Given away.
    2005 Volvo S60R - Sold.
    2005 Mini Cooper S - Sold.
    1990 Mazda Miata - Daily Driver.
    2003 BMW ///M5 - Current Love

... In only 7 years of driving. I have a problem.

Banned
    Car(s)
    2 Rust buckets and a confused 1999 American.
    Here a question i would love to have answered (mathmatically), if a car can do 250mph with 500hp how much power does it need to do 300mph? what about 350mph?

Previously Known As powerof1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottobon View Post
    Here a question i would love to have answered (mathmatically), if a car can do 250mph with 500hp how much power does it need to do 300mph? what about 350mph?

Banned
    Car(s)
    10,000? that sounds a little high. Wish i could remember the equations i used to know.

LP
    Car(s)
    2011 Honda Civic
    Power = Force * Velocity and Force = mass * acceleration.

We want power, we can set the mass to be like 1.5 tons or 2 tons or something, and we can set the velocity to 300 mph. We just need to know acceleration.

I guess we could do something like keep the 0-60 time constant. So 0-60 mph in like what... 3 seconds?

Plugging "2 tons * 300 mph * (60 mph / 3 seconds) in hp" into google gives ~2920 hp.

There you go . I'm going to set my foot on fire now to cure boredom

Edit: Couldn't find the lighter fluid, so I did the calc for 350 mph and its 3400 hp with the same weight and 0-60 time.

Granted the 0-60 time should be much smaller if we're setting our sights on 300-350 mph as the top speed. So if we drop the 0-60 time to lets say... 2 seconds even, keep the weight the same we get the following results:

To go 300 mph: ~4380 hp
    To go 350 mph: ~5105 hp

I could go on and on, but it'd get hella boring and you can plug in values yourself and find out if you're really THAT curious
    Last edited by LP; February 15th, 2008 at 6:41 AM.

It's really amazing to me how the graph is so linear. I would have thought it would taper off or start increasing exponentially, or something. But it really just climbs steadily like that? Crazy.

Car(s)
    2006 E87 BMW 130i RHD
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottobon View Post
    aerodynamics.

thats all they need to improve on, nailing down couple of thousand hp can be tricky and tyre consuming.

but it would be pretty impressive to see something a regular shape sedan being shunted @ 300+mph, simply beacuse it has 5000+bhp

Nokia N95 8Gb | Nokia N97 32Gb | Nokia N900 32Gb | HTC HD2 | Samsung Galaxy 7.0 P3100 | Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 | Asus Google Nexus 7

'10 Ford Bantam 1.3i | RHD
    '09 VW MKV Golf GTI 2.0T DSG | APR Stage 1 | LHD
    '08 Honda Civic Coupé | LHD
    '06 BMW 130i | RHD
    '05 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS | RHD
    '05 Ford Bantam 1.3i | RHD
    '95 Mercedes Benz E320 Sportline | RHD

LP
    Car(s)
    2011 Honda Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by MadCow809 View Post
    aerodynamics.

thats all they need to improve on, nailing down couple of thousand hp can be tricky and tyre consuming.

but it would be pretty impressive to see something a regular shape sedan being shunted @ 300+mph, simply beacuse it has 5000+bhp
    Yes that would be quite impressive. I think if you didn't want something like the Brabus or the Merc CL65 thing to happen where you had millions and millions of HP and millions more torque resulting in wasting all your tires before you got anywhere, you would have to fit like... tractor-sized tires . Maybe we could do what they do on trucks and fit 2 tires side by side instead of just 1 tire.

And you're right aerodynamics would be a big issue. It would have to be like a Caparo T1 or an F1 car except.... 20 times better.

So the recipe comes out to be:

+Nuclear reactor for an engine
    +Tires the size of the moon
    +The shape of a Boeing 747 Jet wing for a chassis
    +Air conditioning and cup holders

Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium, Germania
    Playing around with this little calculator and taking a CW Value of 0.31 and a frontal area 15.5 sq/ft i got ~ 500 hp for 250 mph, same configuration at 300 mph needed ~ 865 hp.

Car(s)
    2004 Audi A4 1.9 TDI
    I once (a long long time ago) saw a documentary on experimental jet fighters, which claimed that a theory is being tested, where the fighter would project an ionising beam in front of itself, which would cut the air much finely than the physical nose of the plane would on its own, which would drastically reduce aerodynamic drag and allow the plane to travel much faster than even the blackbird. Shame that nothing has come from that idea, seemed quite promissing.

Final Gear around the world care package
    discussion | photos | spreadsheet | map

Banned
    Car(s)
    Legacy GT-B
    Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    It's really amazing to me how the graph is so linear. I would have thought it would taper off or start increasing exponentially, or something. But it really just climbs steadily like that? Crazy.
    Me too. I would have thought things would be levelling out.
    I guess not.
    Thankfully.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IceBone View Post
    I once (a long long time ago) saw a documentary on experimental jet fighters, which claimed that a theory is being tested, where the fighter would project an ionising beam in front of itself, which would cut the air much finely than the physical nose of the plane would on its own, which would drastically reduce aerodynamic drag and allow the plane to travel much faster than even the blackbird. Shame that nothing has come from that idea, seemed quite promissing.
    That sounds mighty interesting! Hopefully they can fit it to cars!

Car(s)
    1995 Saab 9000 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    I am willing to bet that a graph of the power of top speed cars vs year would be exponential, since drag goes up exponentially with speed. I don't feel like doing this graph myself, but...hey, LurkerPatrol! Make yourself useful!

Car(s)
    BMW 116d & Yamaha Banshee
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerPatrol View Post
    Power = Force * Velocity and Force = mass * acceleration.

We want power, we can set the mass to be like 1.5 tons or 2 tons or something, and we can set the velocity to 300 mph. We just need to know acceleration.

I guess we could do something like keep the 0-60 time constant. So 0-60 mph in like what... 3 seconds?

Plugging "2 tons * 300 mph * (60 mph / 3 seconds) in hp" into google gives ~2920 hp.

There you go . I'm going to set my foot on fire now to cure boredom

Edit: Couldn't find the lighter fluid, so I did the calc for 350 mph and its 3400 hp with the same weight and 0-60 time.

Granted the 0-60 time should be much smaller if we're setting our sights on 300-350 mph as the top speed. So if we drop the 0-60 time to lets say... 2 seconds even, keep the weight the same we get the following results:

To go 300 mph: ~4380 hp
    To go 350 mph: ~5105 hp

I could go on and on, but it'd get hella boring and you can plug in values yourself and find out if you're really THAT curious
    just a remark from someone who wished he'd done higher studies :shy;

but the original question was:
    nothing about acceleration asked...
    and i've always been told that for top speed the mass doesn't matter...

LP
    Car(s)
    2011 Honda Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    just a remark from someone who wished he'd done higher studies :shy;

but the original question was:

nothing about acceleration asked...
    and i've always been told that for top speed the mass doesn't matter...

I answered the question, and told him the power needed to carry a certain weight and reach the certain speeds he wanted. 2920 hp in fact to go 300 mph. For that equation you need to know the acceleration because realistically when you put your foot down, you don't just automatically get to 350 mph do you?

See power is defined as the work done over a certain period of time, and the work done here is accelerating the mass of the car upto a certain velocity. So both acceleration and mass are important. Force = mass*acceleration after all and power = Force * velocity

The person above noted that a car only needs 865 hp to travel at 300 mph, but that calculator only figures for maintaining that speed, so everything is constant and acceleration is 0. To actually get to 300 mph from a standstill (0 mph) requires a lot more and you have to factor in all these other things like acceleration and work and whatnot. I hope that helped.

Banned
    Car(s)
    Out of all the repleys i'm pretty sure this has been the most accurate, i wasn't asking about acceleration, just how much MORE power it would take to go 300mph if a 500hp car could already do 250mph, and or 200mph with 230hp. (Mercedes C111-III)

Quote Originally Posted by Suedschleife View Post
    Playing around with this little calculator and taking a CW Value of 0.31 and a frontal area 15.5 sq/ft i got ~ 500 hp for 250 mph, same configuration at 300 mph needed ~ 865 hp.

i know its a little radical looking, but i can think of much less attractive and significant Germans. God i love proper aerodynamics.
    Last edited by Ottobon; February 15th, 2008 at 8:10 PM.

LP
    Car(s)
    2011 Honda Civic
    Ah I see, my bad dude

Maybe its a bit more complicated than what I did....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information