Challenge suggestions for TGA

Cubits

Car(s)
Peugeot 205 GTI Mi16 + JDM supercharged MR2
What are some challenges you would like to see in TGA? I'll start... :p

Fuel Efficiency 500:

Each host is given an '80s Aussie V8 to turn in to a fuel efficient beast. The cars are pretested for economy, and the hosts have to get as much gain as possible with a "tools from the shed" approach. This is in response to car companies like VW and BMW spending billions on cars that turn themselves off at the lights. Surely our modern level of understanding will work wonders on 25 year old barges, right?

Expect extreme weight reduction methods, hacksaw engine mods, cowling the wheels, and other aerodynamic "aids" (like tape, oh so much tape!).

The challenge culminates in a series of tests (0-100 etc), before a fuel-limited race determines the outcome. ;)

Even if nothing comes of this, at least the three rolling antiques will be done away with. Seeing one fewer VL sporting a home made wing can only be a good thing.

Last edited:
Drive around a corner with a US made car. That should be teh funneh.

American Autocross? Any US-made car under 20k is eligable, control car (time to beat) is a Kia Rio. Expect big negative points, that Kia is a flyer!

Last edited:
"Star in a too reasonably priced car": The car is the new Tata Nano, the coverage is merely highlights of the lap. :p

I dunno, it could fall over... or just fall apart. It would be like watching nascar, nothing happens for fifty laps then it flips over the second you fall asleep.

1. Car versus the Indian Pacific from Perth to Sydney. First across the Harbour Bridge wins.

2. Converting an ordinary car, ute or panel-van into a mobile home complete with basic amenities.

Last edited:
Driving from Sydney to Melbourne without getting a speeding ticket from the speed Nazis. No, wait, that's impossible....

how about buying a used Aussie car for 2000$ and driving it all across Australia?

Sure, it's been done, but it was awesome the first time around. Imagine them breaking down a million miles from anyone, and have the Flying doctors come rescue them.

Also, my head will explode with the billions of Aussie/pom jokes Jeremy will make

Buy a cheap 4wd and drive across Australia. East to West. From Rockhampton to Shark Bay in WA

Buy a cheap 4wd and drive across Australia. East to West. From Rockhampton to Shark Bay in WA

I'd like to see a re-enactment of the first East-West crossing of Australia by car. It was in 1965 and the vehicles used were a Mini and an Austin 1800, as those were a couple of popular cars at the time. Perhaps update it by using a Barina and a Commodore? I'd love to see how a Barina goes down the Gunbarrel Highway ...

Oh, and there MUST be a cheap ute challenge. Has to be. If it doesn't involve a B&S Ball and some circle work, that would be a huge rip. ;)

Bush Bashing:

Take one cheap, unroadworthy car, and race about in a paddock until destroyed. The staple of most modern rally drivers childhoods, the bush basher (aka paddock car, aka field car) is a key part of driver development.

So, 3 sub 1000 dollar cars, one paddock based race track, one winner, no survivors (probably). All modifications to the cars are made on a teenagers budget.

You'd be suprised at how well a 1980's Mazda 121 would do against a trimatic commodore of a similar vintage (been there, done that, wrapped the 121 around a tree). ;D

How much can you tow?

This one could work anywhere really, but might be easier on the long aussie straights. Get the best tow car you can find, hook up as much weight, vehicles, trailers, or other things as you dare and see who tows the furthest.

P.S. I thought that was original, and was quite pleased with myself, until I remembered the Tractor test episode of Top Gear. Just goes to show how hard creating these challenges is.

Last edited:
Tuner off:

Because i'm sick of seeing "customised" race-aping cars, and sick of hearing their slushboxes from five miles away because of the superfluous 3" of exhaust they have, i would love to see how these "tuned" beasts go against a) a stock version, and b) a properly tuned version.

I would put money on the stock car, i've seen some massively performance hindered cars about (pod filters, oversized exhausts, chopped springs, big wheels, all detrimental stuff).

For added benefit, we'd need closeups of the owner's faces as their cars got trounced by the same thing without the several thousand dollars worth of crap stuck to it. Ahahahaha...

Last edited:
i would love to see how these "tuned" beasts go against a) a stock version, and b) a properly tuned version.

I'd be happy to run my car against a stock one, and the factory tuned (but still street legal) one, in the hands of a pro driver.

My exhaust is only 2.5" though, it doesn't have a slushbox, so maybe I don't count.

I do have a pod filter and a wicked exhaust leak, so it sounds as bad as a 3" cannon. My wheels are also a lot bigger than stock, if that helps.

Last edited:
Haha, that's great! :)

Wheels should only be big enough to clear your brakes, any more and you're costing unsprung weight, rotational inertia, tyre rate, and aerodynamics (a car with sold disc wheels will show more power on a dyno). ;)

The exhaust though, i dunno... Removing it can destroy the torque output as it deletes any benefitial pressure waves. The weight saving and restriction of the stock sentra exhaust was probably worth it for a drag run though.

I'd love to do all of that to a VL... :p

Sick dose bro...

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/05/06/dose_001.jpg