First DSLR

No. Both digital choices. I mean between a DSLR, and something that doesn't have a detachable lens, like this.

that is basically what I owned (dimage 7i) and i would call it unsatisfying at best. It looks like a dslr but feels like a big point and shoot with advanced software features. It would be really slow and produce a lower quality image. The main thing that go me with mine was the tiny buffer, i would shoot a single raw image and it would take about 5 seconds for me to be able to shoot again.

Well yeah, with the opinions of pretty much every person I've spoken to on this matter, it ain't looking good for both the non-DSLR cameras, and my money. :lol:

If you want to get into photography, get a DSLR. If you just want to walk around and take pictures here and there, then a point-n-shoot will suit your needs just fine. I have a p&s currently and I have maxed out its potential so I'm moving on to bigger and better things, aka DSLR

Might as well go for a DSLR... you can get a D40 body for less than $500 I believe.

I never got the point of those middle of the road cameras... you either get a small point and shoot, or a full-fledged DSLR. Seeing as how entry level DSLRs are so cheap and compact nowadays, I think it's a waste of money to buy those fixed lens cameras.

What I mean is that most members on here use Nikon and yet I have yet to hear a single solid reason why they chose it over Canon. I've been researching this a lot lately and can provide logical reasons as to why I'm going to get a Canon.

Solid reason? The Canons in my price bracket at the time I bought my camera were far too small for my hands and were built like cheap toys. I use old MF glass and Canon does not provide that ability. The Nikon's control layout is much more button/wheel based as opposed to the menu-based system on the Canons. The Canons at the time did not have spot metering. The Nikon flash system is clearly superior to the Canon one.

Sounds pretty solid to me.

What I mean is that most members on here use Nikon and yet I have yet to hear a single solid reason why they chose it over Canon. I've been researching this a lot lately and can provide logical reasons as to why I'm going to get a Canon.

When I bought my Nikon my bf had (still has) a 350D + 3 lenses but I still chose the D80 over the 400D because I didn't like the feel of the Canon, felt cheap after playing with a Nikon and I felt like I had tons more options with the Nikon.
I haven't regreted it for a second.

BerserkerCatSplat - fair enough; that's the first time I saw a good explanation of choice on here
Shadowness - I am mainly concerned with the reason why you chose Nikon over Canon way back when you had to make the choice between the two.

My reasons for going with Canon are (just the main ones):
The only Nikon I'm looking at is the D40 - D60 is more expensive and not that much better... I'd rather spend the extra money on glass. The Canon is the Digital Rebel XT (350D in soem countries) because its an improvement over the original 300 and the 350D (XTi) is full of bugs. Between the D40 and the XT, I found a better deal for the XT, and the D40 doesn't have auto focus built in, which limits my choice of lenses.

When I bought my Nikon my bf had (still has) a 350D + 3 lenses but I still chose the D80 over the 400D because I didn't like the feel of the Canon, felt cheap after playing with a Nikon and I felt like I had tons more options with the Nikon.
I haven't regreted it for a second.

Understandable. Most people, as far as I can tell, don't regret going with either company since both are great.

Between the D40 and the XT, I found a better deal for the XT, and the D40 doesn't have auto focus built in, which limits my choice of lenses.

The XT doesn't have AF in the camera body either :p :D

But to answer your earlier question, I just posted this in another thread: The reason I ended up with Nikon instead of Canon (or any other make) is that in 2004 there were only the Nikon D70 and the Canon 300D/Rebel to choose from, and they both seemed like good cameras. What finally won me over was the overall feel of the Nikon body, it just fitted my hand so much better than the Canon. Also it came with a better kit lens, the AF-S 18-70 which I still own and use regularly. Been shooting with several Nikon bodies since and what can I say, I like them :) No need to even think about switching to Canon or anything else.

^ Meh, I was just being a smart ass, lighten up :) And just to be precise, "every Canon EOS lens has an internal autofocus motor.