The "New Toys" Thread

nice hardware, enjoy :)
I'd like to upgrade my computer too (A64 3000M with gig of plain old DDR ram), just for the fun of it. However, seeing how my 250 euro memory (OCZ platinum, TCCD chips on brainpower pcb... used to be the shit back in 2005) is now worth something like, erm, nothing, I'd rather spend my money on something more lasting :)

I remember those days.... back in school my mate was the first oke in the school to have a CD-RW. And how he became quite a rich boy, because he would charge ppl for mp3 CDs.

I can still remember how I nagged my mom to buy a Sony 8X CD-RW for me on my birthday :lol::lol:

That was roughly about 7~8 years ago, how time flies.

Damn, people. I still remember my first CD-ROM drive, bought it back in 1992. SCSI, 1x read, and it had caddies (tray models didn't come out yet).

My advise would be to spend more than 12 bucks on one if you want it to keep flying for more than five seconds ;)

Yeah, my little cousin has an Airhogs helicopter. I think it was only like $30. Well worth the investment.

Where I'm from doesn't matter...

Now, back to RC helicopters......I don't really want to spend 500+ on a really professional one just yet, as I think I'll wreck it in about 20 minutes worth of crashing. On the other hand, this cheapie one here doesn't seem to want to stay airborne for more than 6 seconds....

I just want something simple and reasonably affordable to kick off, than eventually get a really pro one with all the bells and whistles.

Where I'm from doesn't matter...

It does when you are asking for suggestions (items aren't available worldwide) and talking about price. ;)

I think his camera's just messed.

Speaking of which, Icebone, how do you flash firmware on D2? I should be receiving my 16GB D2 early next week, and was wanting to put a good flash theme on it.

Last edited:
You download a zip, which contains 4 files in 3 dirs, named 0, 1 and 2. First you copy the files from dir 0 to root, unplug, run, the files will install and the device will shut down. Then plug it back in and repeat for dirs 1 and 2 in that order.

Is most of your hardware pink on purpose? o_O

lol, it does appear to be that way doesn't it :p

I think it's just the camera, the gfx cards are actually red.

Right, so anyone got a good beginner's RC helicopter recommendation? Something available in Australia, and not too expensive.

EDIT: I played around with the circuitry, and now my little helicopter can stay aloft for more than 6 seconds, but its still very difficult to control, especially the climbing rate.

Last edited:
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/05/31/008.JPG

Brown one is teh hotness. What a pitty that I don't need it.

Got a new laptop.

Lenovo R61

15.4" screen, 1680x1050
Core 2 Duo T9300 (2.5Ghz, 6MB L2 cache)
4GB RAM (DDR2-667)
160GB HD (7.2krpm)
Nvidia Quadro 140m
Intel 4965-N Wireless

Total Price: Just a shade under US $1000.

The packaging is really nice on SEs nowdays. I remember back then it was just a white and green box with barely anything in it.

Got a new laptop.

Lenovo R61

15.4" screen, 1680x1050
Core 2 Duo T9300 (2.5Ghz, 6MB L2 cache)
4GB RAM (DDR2-667)
160GB HD (7.2krpm)
Nvidia Quadro 140m
Intel 4965-N Wireless

Total Price: Just a shade under US $1000.

Can you play pc games with that? Like what can you run CSS on (if you have it) and what are the fps?