Camaro confirmed for Europe, may not be branded a Chevy

I know you guys always convert currency, but it's unrealistic.
For buying cars: yes, for imports: no.
Like MacGuffin said, its more about market analysis. And the European market isn't the main market for cars like the Corvette, Camaro, Challenger, and Mustang. So any cars they sell there are just for the enthusiast types who get a kick out of that sort of thing.
I would get a kick out of an american car, and I would buy one. But to be honest, people are still after getting something for their money. Let me present a list I made almost a year ago, comparing the C6 Vette with similar-priced cars on the German market (sorted by price):

Audi S4 Sedan (4.2l V8, 344hp): 55,600 Euros
Audi S5 (4.2l V8, 354hp): 55,900 Euros
BMW Z4M Coupe (3.2l I6, 343hp): 57,900 Euros
Mercedes Benz CLS 350 (3.5l V6, 292hp): 59,738 Euros
BMW Z4M Roadster (3.2l I6, 343hp): 59,900 Euros
Porsche Cayman S (3.4l B6, 295hp): 60,065 Euros
BMW 550i (4.8l V8, 367hp): 62,700 Euros
Audi A6 4.2 FSI Quattro (4.2l V8, 350hp): 63,300 Euros
Mercedes Benz E500 (5.5l V8, 388hp): 64,498 Euros
Chevrolet Corvette C6 Coupe (6.0l V8, 400hp): 65,290 Euros
BMW M3 '07 (4.0l V8, 420hp): 66,650 Euros
Mercedes Benz SLK 55 AMG (5.5l V8, 360hp): 67,770 Euros
(...)
Audi RS4 Sedan (4.2l V8, 420hp): 71,700 Euros
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Coupe (7.0l V8, 500hp): 86,150 Euros
Mercedes Benz CLK 63 AMG (6.2l V8, 388hp): 89,904 Euros
Porsche 911 Carrera S (3.6l B6, 355hp): 90,529 Euros
BMW M5 (5.0l V10, 507hp): 91,600 Euros

Be honest. If you see this list, and you have the money for one of these cars - would you buy the Corvette? You probably would as a diehard Vette nut, but I'm sure you understand that so many people wouldn't. Which brings me to my very point:

People would buy american cars if they were priced in a way - no offense to be taken - their overall quality is represented correctly. GM could sell their cars with the same profit as in the US, which means offering them here much cheaper. Of course, the local market dictates prices, but you can't sort in your cars equal to Germans finest and then expect people to buy them. If sold for US prices, American cars would work on the European market, and I'm sure they would work well. But as long as that doesn't happen, I see no sound fundamentals for such cars.
If GM sells the STS V8 for $59k in Europe, which is $54k USD in America
It would be great if the STS V8 was sold for $59k here. Unfortunately, it is sold for 59k Euros, which equals $93k. And that's where it's not ok. Like I said, the current exchange rates cloak the actual proportions to an extent, but take the 59k Euros and have a look in the above list again. It competes with a range of cars people will much rather buy. And the reason is simple: if there is no advantage in price for the American competitor anymore ... why would I prefer it over a 550i or an A6 4.2 quattro? Would you?

Last edited:
Based on the information you provided, the Corvette stacks up pretty well.

For the base-model Corvette, the nearest competitor on your list is the M3. Also consider that the base Corvette now has a 6.3L engine, putting out 430 hp and 426 ft-lb of torque. Speaking strictly on the subject of power, the advantage goes slightly to the 'Vette. When you look at torque, the 'Vette blows the M3 out of the water (as much as I hate to say it, since I really do love M3s).

With the Z06, the closest power in your grouping is the M5/M6. Roughly the same power levels, but the Z06 is ~5.5k Euros cheaper. Torque is also heavily in favor of the 'Vette once again.

I know there are MANY other factors in determining value for your money, and I know VERY well how shitty the construction quality is on 'Vettes. I'm simply playing devil's advocate since your chart only listed make, model, engine displacement, hp and price.

:D

So this is what we do. Get an M3/M5 minus the engine, put the Vette V8 in there, problem solved :)

People would buy american cars if they were priced in a way - no offense to be taken - their overall quality is represented correctly. GM could sell their cars with the same profit as in the US, which means offering them here much cheaper

They're doing that with the 300C, its really cheap compared to its rivals, if it was made by BMW or Mercedes they would be much more expensive. But, they're not selling lots of 300Cs, shame because its a nice car, I like it.

For some reason American cars just arn't popular in the UK & Europe unlike the other way round, in the US having a BMW or Merc is a status symbol. I don't know why, some American cars, especially the old ones, look really cool. But most people who buy an American car in the UK, buy one as a 2nd car rather than a main driver, so the markets smaller.

It comes from "small mindedness" of a lot of British people, American cars cost lots in petrol, they're hard to park and getting spares is difficult. Of course, anyone who knows anything about cars, knows this is rubbish, but the majorty of people don't know anything about cars.

Years ago they used to think the same about Japanise cars (not size or petrol) but the spares, etc but after the Japs built large dealer networks in the UK it changed peoples minds.

One of the things American car makers would need to do is have a dealership in every major town, in fact they have, Vauxhall as its part of GM, but they don't stock US parts and don't have any US cars on show. GM should make all Vauxhall dealerships carry a few of thier US range and spares then they'd sell more.

I'm all for more American cars being on the market in Europe, I's prefer them over a Jap car any day.

Last edited:
It would be great if the STS V8 was sold for $59k here. Unfortunately, it is sold for 59k Euros, which equals $93k. And that's where it's not ok.

No, no, no. You said the cars sells for $59k Euros there. And it sells for $54k USD here. You're not buying US spec cars with your money, just like I'm not buying Euro spec cars with my money. Doing the currency conversion is just an interesting number, nothing more, it has nothing to do with what you'll pay for the car.

If the Euro suddenly jumps up in value by 100%, you're not going to see car dealerships dropping their prices by half. Just like we here in America didn't see car prices double as our dollar became nearly worthless over the past 10 years. Currency conversion rates are meaningless. I can still go out and buy German and Japanese cars for close to the same price you pay, despite the large difference in currency value.

The point is, if the $54k USD Cadillac STS is selling for $59k Euros over there, then the $25-40k USD Camaro shouldn't be too expensive, so long as GM doesn't try to rip you all off.

if it isnt branded a CHEVY. then it isnt a CAMARO

if it isnt branded a CHEVY. then it isnt a CAMARO
I pulled all the trim and badges off the F-bodies I've owned, guess they weren't Camaros or Firebirds anymore, huh :p?

Given the relatively close-minded markets overseas, I think GM would be right in badging the Camaro as something else. No skin off my back, the more they build the cheaper it will be for me to get my hands on one.

No, no, no. You said the cars sells for $59k Euros there. And it sells for $54k USD here. You're not buying US spec cars with your money, just like I'm not buying Euro spec cars with my money. Doing the currency conversion is just an interesting number, nothing more, it has nothing to do with what you'll pay for the car.
You know what I was just trying to do? Prove you wrong. But I found out: you aren't!

I looked up your and my prices for the comparable Audi model:

US:
Cadillac STS V8: $54,050 USD
Audi A6 4.2 FSI Quattro: $56,300 USD
Difference: + 4,2%

Germany:
Cadillac STS V8: 59,390 Euros
Audi A6 4.2 FSI Quattro: 63,800 Euros
Difference: + 7,4%

... which proves your point: the STS is priced correctly in relation to its competitors. That however raised a totally different question in me: if the extra charge for the Audi is so small everywhere, why does anyone choose the Cadillac over the Audi at all? I mean there'll surely be Cadiallac lovers and Audi haters, but even if you're American, wouldn't you choose the Audi?

The point is, if the $54k USD Cadillac STS is selling for $59k Euros over there, then the $25-40k USD Camaro shouldn't be too expensive, so long as GM doesn't try to rip you all off.
If the Camaro will be priced in the same relation the STS is priced, it definitely is an attractive car to buy. It it will be priced as I read however (65k Euros), you can be pretty sure it won't sell very well.

That however raised a totally different question in me: if the extra charge for the Audi is so small everywhere, why does anyone choose the Cadillac over the Audi at all? I mean there'll surely be Cadiallac lovers and Audi haters, but even if you're American, wouldn't you choose the Audi?

A lot of people do. I see quite a few Cadillacs running around, but I see at least as many BMW 5-series and Merc E-class cars, as I do CTS's. I don't see many Audi's though. The thing about American cars in America is that they're even cheaper, because they're always offering big rebates and low interest loans. And the dealer networks are massive. So it's tempting. Especially to old retired people.

But regardless, we buy tons of German cars here. Tons. And even more Japanese cars.

That however raised a totally different question in me: if the extra charge for the Audi is so small everywhere, why does anyone choose the Cadillac over the Audi at all? I mean there'll surely be Cadiallac lovers and Audi haters, but even if you're American, wouldn't you choose the Audi?
Well, I wouldn't take a STS over an A6 ... but I'd take a CTS-V over either :D. Like TomCat said; it's just cheaper to own the Cadillac here, like how it's probably cheaper to own the A6 over there.

I pulled all the trim and badges off the F-bodies I've owned, guess they weren't Camaros or Firebirds anymore, huh :p?

Given the relatively close-minded markets overseas, I think GM would be right in badging the Camaro as something else. No skin off my back, the more they build the cheaper it will be for me to get my hands on one.

yeah but i dont think i could stomach the name "Daewoo Camaro" just isnt natural. i agree tho it would be nicer to get one for cheaper but idk if i would do it... i guess thats just me tho :p

I suppose they could flog them off as Daewoo Lacetties and offer the Chevy and Camaro emblems as a $100 euros option!

better than a Ferrari

Won't be the first time

Are you mad? :?

I'm sorry, but no American car compnay will ever make a supercar better than a Ferrari. No doubt they make good cars, some even look nice, but better than a Ferrari, come on seriously, you can't possibly belive that?

Last edited:
Are you mad? :?

I'm sorry, but no American car compnay will ever make a supercar better than a Ferrari. No doubt they make good cars, some even look nice, but better than a Ferrari, come on seriously, you can't possibly belive that?

Highly OT and stuff but:

DO IT!