Possiblity of having new Tog Gear season on mp4 for iphone/ipod/apple TV?

dwh

Hi everyone,

Now everyone seems to be moving towards apple products I was interested in seeing whether the new TopGear season could be encoded in mp4 so that it could be played on the iphone.

I am sure now with the iPhone epidemic there would be sufficient demand to do so.

Is there a chance we can get this to happen? I would be happy to donate extra if it will help us to get mp4 rips....?

Thanks!!!!!

Dave

You can get the standard rip and convert them to mp4/working format, not hard.

I'm aware of that but if enough people are using apple devices then it would make sense for an mp4 rip to be released... Would changing all rips to mp4 reduce the quality or be detrimental to anyone? Otherwise mp4 rip would have to be in addition to the original rip and supposedly more work to those doing their great work!

But any way its released i'm going to watch it, its just a matter of convenience and have great respect to those helping getting these episodes released so promptly!

It's upto the scene, and they don't usually release that format unless they choose to, like many other ipod rips. Don't hold your breath for proper rips of that format, you'd rather do it yourself.

edit: When i do mp4 conversions i usualy get around 200-250mb per 350mb show, with the 700 mb rips of TG you're looking at 400mb average, not something someone would do on a really large scale unless the demand was huge, which i don't think it is

I'm aware of that but if enough people are using apple devices then it would make sense for an mp4 rip to be released... Would changing all rips to mp4 reduce the quality or be detrimental to anyone? Otherwise mp4 rip would have to be in addition to the original rip and supposedly more work to those doing their great work!

But any way its released i'm going to watch it, its just a matter of convenience and have great respect to those helping getting these episodes released so promptly!

I have an idea. You could do a few and put them up and see how much interest there is.

The 700MB rips have enough quality to be reencoded for a mobile device, IMO.
If you were to go mp4 as official rips, some people are sure to complain about the size, cause you can vary it so much... Just do it yourself!

Tog Gear?

Anything to do with this?

woganDM1510_800x568.jpg

TOG = Terry's Old Girls/Guys/Gits
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/wogan/

Tog Gear?

Anything to do with this?

TOG = Terry's Old Girls/Guys/Gits
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/wogan/

Dammit, you got there before I did! To expand on this, TOG's are older fans of veteran BBC broadcaster Terry Wogan. They have a particular style of dress, hence Tog Gear being what they wear. It involves quite a lot of tweed, corduroy and beige. One strongly suspects James May might be a closet TOG.:lol:

Is there a chance we can get this to happen?

No, it's not gonna happen, sorry. It's a bunch of trouble for us to go through as that means we have make a second torrent, seed it, etc. It's just twice as much work having to release 2 rips rather than one. Plus that's bandwidth that could be put towards the main torrent rather than the iPod torrent and we need every megabit we can get. Not to mention probably only a handful of people would download it.

Just convert it yourself. It's literally only one or two clicks and takes 15-60 minutes depending on your processor. I use Videora Converter for my iPod Touch. It's just a wrapper for FFDShow, but it's fast and really easy to use.

I convert TG eps for my PSP, and that only takes about 30-40 mins, and the file is about 350mb if I remember right. If it's something that's going to be requested a lot, I suppose I could upload some MP4 versions to an FTP somewhere, but only after I've downloaded the 700Mb rips.

If you've got Quicktime Pro you can convert it to iPod in as good quality (and if you got a really powerful computer, maybe you can upscale it to HD without taking to long). Problem is the size, a 700mb file becomes a 1.1 or 1.3 Gb file, taking roughly a hour.

If you've got Quicktime Pro you can convert it to iPod in as good quality (and if you got a really powerful computer, maybe you can upscale it to HD without taking to long). Problem is the size, a 700mb file becomes a 1.1 or 1.3 Gb file, taking roughly a hour.
If you convert it to H264, the filesize stays about the same. ;)

I just converted a bunch of Breaking Bad episodes today (350MB each, 624x352) and they ended up being smaller filesize (around 310MB each) due to the drop in resolution (no sense in having the video be larger than the screen).

Just download this free ipod video converter. It's really easy to use and you can even choose what kind of quality and size you want the file to be, if you need to conserve space.

I kind of get the idea that Dave thinks there is some magic you guys do with the rips and turn them into torrents and does not realize almost anyone can do the same thing if they have access to a source. Even *I* have learned how to do it so it can't be too difficult as more than one person has pointed out here.

So I suggest again, he make the mp4 of a few episodes and put up the torrent and see how much demand there is. He doesn't even have to wait for the new season. There are about 90 episodes he could start on now.

If there is much demand, after you get a few seeders of the torrent you can cut it loose and move on to the next one.

Or, you could hack the Apple TV and have it play Divx natively? (Since you mentioned the Apple TV)

Slight side note, I'm thinking about this HTPC option, and I really think (considering my fanboism) of getting a Mac Mini to do the grunt work. I like the Apple TV for a lot of reasons, but I don't like the idea of having to convert everything. I'd rather have a Mini hooked up to the TV with Perian installed, and then aliases in the movies folder to my NAS. Play everything I want through Front Row. Maybe EyeTV for broadcast tele, I don't know. Might not even keep the cable tv with this type of setup.

The modern 700meg rips are quite good. I just wish there was a more "lossless" or "raw" format for it, so I can keep that for archival reasons and convert it to whatever format I need. However, that type of system doesn't fit my workflow really well because I tend to forget that I created encoded versions and the original version, and my hard drive gets cluttered with files in weird places. But that's just me. I have ways around that though.