Opera 9.5

I love Opera and have been using it since version 5 something, or whenever it cost money and could be downloaded with advertisement support. I've tried Firefox many times since to see what the fuzz is about but never got it.

Main reasons i use Opera is....

* Tabbed browsing. Got hooked on it way before IE or FF implemented it. Even when it first came as extension on FF it just didnt feel right.

*Transfer. Much better download managing then IE or FF had. Might have changed now, but Operas download manager has just always felt right to me.

*Mail. Integrated mail client is just something i love and have used ever since it got implemented.

*The Sidebar. Having the sidebar with mail, bookmarks, contacts, transfer and history is just something i cant be without. Just makes sense and feels right.

*Mousegestures. They just work. I dont get why Viper says it's bloat. You dont see them, feel them or know about them unless you want to use them.

Basically i just like Opera as a package. It has everything i need and want in one solid package. If you dont like bloat, you can hide or make it as minimal as you want. If you like clutter or have everything accessible like me, you can have that......and most importantly you can have it your way without searching or downloading some extensions.

Opera is not perfect, it still has pages that dont render perfectly and the plugin managed could work better, but that hasnt discouraged me for many years.

My Opera setup....

opera.jpg

I love Opera and have been using it since version 5 something, or whenever it cost money and could be downloaded with advertisement support. I've tried Firefox many times since to see what the fuzz is about but never got it.

What's the fuzz about Firefox? How about it's always been free and open-source, unlike the closed-source ad-generating or paid version of Opera? Only until Opera dropped the pay version did it become worthwhile to use.

* Tabbed browsing. Got hooked on it way before IE or FF implemented it. Even when it first came as extension on FF it just didnt feel right.

Opera implemented tabbed browsing in 2000 (version 4), Mozilla had it built-in by late 2001. I wouldn't say that is a super long time. And Opera wasn't even the first browser to have tabbed browsing either.

*Transfer. Much better download managing then IE or FF had. Might have changed now, but Operas download manager has just always felt right to me.

*Mail. Integrated mail client is just something i love and have used ever since it got implemented.

That's because Opera has pretty much always been bloatware. It keeps on adding stuff that not everyone wants or needs. That's exactly the reason Phoenix/Firebird/Firefox was developed - as an alternative to the Mozilla Suite and other bloated all-in-one browsers.

What's the fuzz about Firefox? How about it's always been free and open-source, unlike the closed-source ad-generating or paid version of Opera? Only until Opera dropped the pay version did it become worthwhile to use.

I really dont care if something is free, open source or you have to pay for it. If it's good and you like it, then use it.

Opera implemented tabbed browsing in 2000 (version 4), Mozilla had it built-in by late 2001. I wouldn't say that is a super long time. And Opera wasn't even the first browser to have tabbed browsing either.

I wasnt talking about Mozilla, i was talking about Firefox, which was released in 2004.

That's because Opera has pretty much always been bloatware. It keeps on adding stuff that not everyone wants or needs. That's exactly the reason Phoenix/Firebird/Firefox was developed - as an alternative to the Mozilla Suite and other bloated all-in-one browsers.

Opera is not bloated when you first install it. It's very clean and simple, but has alot of features built in, for those that want and need it. Which was my point.

I'm sorry but why do Firefox users feel the need to prove to everyone it's superior to everything. I merely stated why i like Opera, in a thread about Opera and if you didnt notice, i never said anything negative about Firefox, just that i prefer Opera and i thought it had superior tabbing then the first generation tabbed extensions Firefox had.

Firefox is great for what it represents and what it did to the browser war, but i simply prefer Opera because it suits me better.

I wasnt talking about Mozilla, i was talking about Firefox, which was released in 2004.

I've been using Firefox since it was called Phoenix (and Firebird in between that). The first release was in 2002.

Opera is not bloated when you first install it. It's very clean and simple, but has alot of features built in, for those that want and need it. Which was my point.

That's great. Some people want just a browser (like me). Others want a shit-ton of stuff in one application (like you). Different strokes for different folks. But bloat is bloat, and Opera tries to do too many things instead of excelling at one.

I'm sorry but why do Firefox users feel the need to prove to everyone it's superior to everything. I merely stated why i like Opera, in a thread about Opera and if you didnt notice, i never said anything negative about Firefox, just that i prefer Opera and i thought it had superior tabbing then the first generation tabbed extensions Firefox had.

Firefox is great for what it represents and what it did to the browser war, but i simply prefer Opera because it suits me better.

I'm not saying Firefox is superior, rather I'm trying to stop FUD that Opera users like to spread.

That's because Opera has pretty much always been bloatware.
Yeah right, that's why Opera is (as english-only download) 6.7 MB, there is almost no function above browsing activated at the first startup and you don't need to use any of the advanced features of Opera so they remain deactivated in the background without ever bothering you - oh wait, that's not the definition of "bloatware", that's the opposite... :blink:

That's great. Some people want just a browser (like me). Others want a shit-ton of stuff in one application (like you). Different strokes for different folks. But bloat is bloat, and Opera tries to do too many things instead of excelling at one.

I'm not saying Firefox is superior, rather I'm trying to stop FUD that Opera users like to spread.
Well, as you said: different strokes for different folks. Some people think otherwise, in my opinion (remember, it's just an opinion, no need to attack that with a hammer) the mouse gestures and tab management is better in Opera than in other browsers. Full stop.
In your opinion Opera is too bloated, yes, that is another opinion I can live with - but that's no reason to call opinions (which are based on years of experience and usage, in TopGearDog's and my case about 7 years) "FUD"...

Last edited:
Pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del informs me that Opera is less bloatware than Firefox. Right now I've got four tabs open, RSS feeds running, plus a weather widget and it's all running on just 80MB of memory. Firefox with no tabs open is typically eating up about 120MB on my machine.

Firefox with no tabs open is typically eating up about 120MB on my machine.

Firefox 2? Or do you have a ton of weird extensions?

My Firefox uses 90MB of RAM and I have 32 extensions enabled. If I open like 50 tabs, my RAM usage won't go up either.

That Firefox 3 with about 5 add ons running. For some reason Firefox has always used up more memory for me compared to a lot of people. :dunno:

I've been testing FF3 for about a week now to see if anything changed since I last tried it years ago.
To keep it short: Opera is faster, more usable out of the box and hogs less ram. AFAICS the only thing
FF has going for it are addons. But again, I had to install like 4 or 5 just to match Opera. The next
ones did surpass it in terms of usability tho.