A few action shots of Cleo and Emma

Top Geek

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 240SX
A few shots from playing around with the shutter speed. I used manual mode though, as my D40 seems to overexpose shots in shutter priority (help?). I'm still learning, so they were overexposed (and probably still are, a bit) before some editing. These were taken in the evening about an hour before sunset.

I was going for getting the one dog (Cleo, the black one) focused/sharp with the rest of the image in a motion blur in the first two pictures.

(I know, this one has lousy focus or maybe the shutter was too slow, but I love the "in the air"-ness of it)

As always, constructive criticism is welcome (and probably necessary :p)

It would be nice to see the EXIF of these photos, but one thing is immediatly aparent. You've got way to long shutter speeds.

I'd try upping the ISO, or getting a brighter lens. But you shouldn't have any trouble getting shutter speeds of 1/320-500s with that much light.

Another option, is of course panning. I think you've tried that in some of the shots, but you might want to work on your panning technique. :)

I'd try upping the ISO, or getting a brighter lens.
It must have been the ISO. I think I had it at 200.

But you shouldn't have any trouble getting shutter speeds of 1/320-500s with that much light.
I'll try that next time. I was down in 1/60, 1/80.

Another option, is of course panning. I think you've tried that in some of the shots, but you might want to work on your panning technique.
Indeed, panning is what I was attempting, but it needs practice :)

Panning takes a lot of practice. I suck at it, but then again, I do little of it.

But seriously, so slow shutter speeds? What apertures where you at?

I used manual mode though, as my D40 seems to overexpose shots in shutter priority (help?). I'm still learning, so they were overexposed (and probably still are, a bit) before some editing. These were taken in the evening about an hour before sunset.

I have never gotten good results on my D70 using shutter priority. I almost always use Aperture Priority unless im using manual, and using manual is not the best for fast action like that because the light is constantly changing as you move your camera around.

Although, if you are getting overexposed images in either S or A mode, you can try to add negative exposure compensation (EV +/-). You can probably find where to adjust it in your manual as i dont know where it's located on the D40. Try -0.3 EV to begin with then -0.7 EV if that wasnt enough.

Also make sure you are using the Matrix metering instead of Spot metering. Spot metering on black dogs wil usually result in everything else overexposed since th camera is trying adjust the light according to a very dark subject and doesnt take the rest of the scene into consideration.

Alright, I took a few more today, this time using the proper mode ;) (AF with continuous servo)

(this first one was very spur-of-the-moment, and I had no time think about it, which is the focus isn't quite in the right area)

Your new shots work very well.

One reason you should rearly use shutter priority is that there's sometimes not enough light to achieve the shutter speed you've set the camera to. Then you end up with a underexposed photo, unless auto ISO kicks in, and I don't want that.

If there's a lot of light, then it's fine. But unless the conditions are optimal, I'd never use it.

Your new shots work very well.

One reason you should rearly use shutter priority is that there's sometimes not enough light to achieve the shutter speed you've set the camera to. Then you end up with a underexposed photo, unless auto ISO kicks in, and I don't want that.

If there's a lot of light, then it's fine. But unless the conditions are optimal, I'd never use it.
Got it, thanks.