Technical Resources for F1

Sir Stiggington

Car(s)
McLaren Mercedes MP4/23 :P
I was wondering if any of you knew of books or videos that go in depth into the aerodynamics, chassis, suspension, engine, etc. of F1 cars. I'm writing something and would love to understand more than I already do about the technical side of the cars, the setup etc.

I've seen some books on Amazon, but I've got no clue which are better, do you guys have any good/bad experiences?

Knew about the Formula1.com one, but the last one has some good info, thanks ;)

I'm looking more for a book or something though which really takes everything step by step and relates everything together after having gone through the details. Texts like these are great as additional info, but to write a text it's better if it's one long train of thought than little seperate ones. Thanks though, it will be useful ;)

That looks great...I'll look into that...

What about the Giorgio Piola books? Why are they sorted by year, are they only relevant to the upgrades and developments in these years, or do they also go broader?

What about the Giorgio Piola books? Why are they sorted by year, are they only relevant to the upgrades and developments in these years, or do they also go broader?

I guess Piola's books relate to the upgrades and developments of the cars throughout the various seasons. You will find that all the illustrations on the tech articles on Formula1.com and some of the "drawings" in Tremayne's book are done by the Italian.

Just did some Search Inside for the Formula 1 Technology one, looks really great but a bit above my level...need some background first I think...looks to me like the David Tremayne book is my best bet so far...

Great Choice, and I hope you'll do great in your writing :)

Thanks for the help mate, I'll order the book today...
btw it's for the extended essay in IB...

It's not specifically Formula 1, but check this book out: http://www.amazon.com/Race-Car-Vehicle-Dynamics-R146/dp/1560915269

One of the programmers at the company i used to work at had this (the game involved cars, so i guess he had it to set up the physics engine correctly). I had a flick through and it's insanely in depth, i couldn't even begin to understand much of it, but it covers the physics of the various cars components and how they affect each other.

Looks kinda crazy like you say...that may be way above my level...I'll leave that for uni :p

What sort of areas are you looking into, and to what degree of detail?

Much of the more advanced stuff is not in the public domain, or in some cases the stuff that is contains inaccuracies (deliberate?).

As far as online references go:

www.f1technical.com

and if you want to delve into sports cars:

www.mulsannescorner.com

A pretty solid wealth of information on both those sites.

These two are great, actually...thanks ;)

And WillDAQ, I'm looking into understanding the overall working of a grand prix car, going into moderate detail, but not too exhaustive, it's still just an interest rather than a study. Personally, I'm more interested in the aerodynamics than anything else.

And WillDAQ, I'm looking into understanding the overall working of a grand prix car, going into moderate detail, but not too exhaustive, it's still just an interest rather than a study. Personally, I'm more interested in the aerodynamics than anything else.

A man after my own heart, the aerodynamics can be tricky to find stuff on, but the following is a really good book that's not overly complex but will still read by people actually in the sport.

http://www.amazon.com/Race-Car-Aerodynamics-Engineering-Performance/dp/0837601428/ref=pd_sim_b_5

I've got the Formula 1 Technology and some of the Georgio Piola books.

They are a really good place to get your teeth into F1 in depth..

The F1 technology book is some really heavy reading though :)