Coulthard to retire from Formula 1

Sir Stiggington

Car(s)
McLaren Mercedes MP4/23 :P
This deserves it's own thread...
Coulthard to retire at end of season
03 July 2008

David Coulthard will retire from Formula One at the end of this season the Scotsman announced on Thursday afternoon. Coulthard did say he will remain actively involved in F1 as a consultant to Red Bull Racing focusing on testing and development of the cars.

Coulthard said in a statement he retires from Formula 1 but might race in a different series. "I have an open mind as to whether or not I will compete again in the future, in some other form of motorsport, so I am definitely not hanging up my helmet!" he said.

Coulthard furthermore explained about his decision to retire from Formula One. "My decision to retire was taken earlier in the year and is based on a desire to stop while I am still competitive and enjoying the immense challenge that Grand Prix driving represents. I also have the desire to look for new challenges within the sport.

"The decision to make this announcement at the British GP should be an obvious one for all to understand, as I have achieved two of my thirteen F1 victories at Silverstone and I am a member of the British Racing Drivers' Club, which hosts this event. I am proud of my work at Red Bull Racing and will continue to race with the same focus until the last lap in Brazil. Thereafter I will continue to help the team develop and move towards their ultimate goal of winning races."
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/07/03/coulthard-to-retire-at-end-of-season/

I'll miss crazy dave for sure, I really liked him :(

Aww, I'm going to miss Crazy Dave, he was in F1 when I started watching it in the 90s.

:(:(

It was expected but I'm still sad. He was my first favourite driver when I started watching F1 in 2000 and I've been supporting him ever since.

However, it's a good decision. I hope will see him around F1 in the future too. :)

Not a suprise, but I'm a little gutted. Having an ok season so far, hope he keeps it up and retires on a (semi) high. Fingers crossed he gets the BBC job. Him and Brundle would be good.

I'll miss him, he has been in f1 since i know of it's existence.

Goodbye to the most successful British F1 driver of all time.

LMAO:

Today's press conference

104109.jpg

^ Yeah, Jenson will surely miss DC, too :lol:

Sad news as Coulthard has been somewhat of an establishment in F1 for many years. Now that third place in Canada will mean even more to him. I wish him the best of luck in whatever type of racing he might find himself in.

No surprise, and at the right time too. He's had a good run, and isn't afraid to speak his mind (i.e. kicking three shades of shit out of Massa...). Here's hoping BBC pick him up for use on the commentary team - he'd do a great job.

It's a good time for him to go, wish him all the best with his future endeavors, hopefully that includes commentary for the BBC.

Oh dear the people with wool over their eyes are back.

Congratulations on a great career DC. I agree now is the right time to step down and I am VERY VERY glad he will remain as a tester for Red Bull, very valuable asset. Hopefully he has a great finish to his last season and bring on Vettel and Webber in RB04's next year!!!!

It was the right time, DC was interesting character and a good driver.

So...where does Coulthard go now? Another racing series? Commentary? Team ownership?