"Thank you for flying with us, please do not tamper with your shock bracelet"

Well, looks like they found a way to terrorize the population without having to use terrorists.

Sometimes I wonder what Osama Bin Laden thinks when he reads such stuff: "YES! We were able to frighten them so much, that they are now going completely bonkers and sacrify the very ideals they stand for - and we didn't even have to move a finger."

It's pathetic.

Exactly. The terrorists did win, as they caused us to lose our freedoms in the name of safety.

Benjamin Franklin said:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Another interesting part is how they can monitor where you go with that bracelet. So they have your personal data (like gender, age and so on) and can find out which parts of the duty-free-shop gain your interest. Nnnnnnnnnnnnice! :lol:

I would make a reference to 1984 but I probably don't have to at this point. This makes me sad.

Exactly. The terrorists did win, as they caused us to lose our freedoms in the name of safety.

lol.

So there is an upside to this story...

Do they sell these to the general public? I really need one for my nephew.

And I'm with Prefect, first thing I thought of was travel by ship. Speaking of which, why the big deal about flying? If I were a terrorist my next target would be cruise ship, oil tanker, train etc.

I'm predicting the use of a Large Natural Gas Tanker driven into a port area and detonated. Way more damaging than an oil tanker fire.

I've always thought that having hundreds of people in a small area waiting to get through bogus security could end badly if someone wanted it to...

As I thought about this in the shower today, I had a great idea for a new .com startup. I might actually see if it's do-able before I post the idea for all to see. To the internets for teh research!
Do tell! :) PM?

You all must realize that they are not serious. We are a sue happy country remember.
Exactly. There isn't a chance in hell anything like this would actually happen.

The fear pendulum is starting to swing from paranoia back to logic due to 9/11 -- people aren't as scared about flying as they were shorting after it.

I've always thought that having hundreds of people in a small area waiting to get through bogus security could end badly if someone wanted it to...

Well that's it as well....... if security worked, for all the money and technology being thrown at it now then there'd be no need to go to this extreme.

Okay so going through security these days sucks, almost literally but if it works then fine. Problem is that it's not 100%.

If you read the British press about journos being employed at Heathrow without a background check, criminals being empoloyed without a background check and all the rest of it unfortunately the last line of defense is on the plane itself but i don't agree with this one.

You know that the terrorists first target is always the cabin crew though, right? It's only a matter of picking out the Manager for the flight (given he/she is most likely the designated holder of the laser etc.) and immobilising him/her first. The airline even make it easy for the terrorist given most IFMs wear a different uniform.

At least I'm not the only one to notice that huge, fatal, obscene flaw in the security system in place in the airports. You place five planes' worth of people in a bottleneck; keep everyone distracted by telling them to separate their electronics, take off their belts and shoes, bag up all liquids, etc.; put only one or 2 unarmed security officials in a confined position where they can't see everyone (as if arming them would change anything); and then tell the crammed masses that they are perfectly safe, as if repeating it will make it true.

Yeah, these bracelets sound like a great addition to that... more stuff which is demeaning to the public yet makes no change to the real state of security.

Last edited:
In other news Jetblue demands all passengers with too many q's z's and mohammad's in their name to wear nutcrackers.

Surprise surprise, this shock bracelet thing was never being seriously considered. Who saw that coming? :p

Well, someone was considering it. Anyway, I think it says more about the state of things when so many people see something that a few years ago would have been unthinkable and readily assume the worst. Before 9/11 claiming the US had secret prisons world wide with "phantom planes" and prison ships where people are held without charge or trial and tortured for information would get you labeled a crackpot; now it's common knowledge.

We have already lost so many freedoms we had, and in such a short time, that no one questions claims like this anymore. We have RFID passports, warrantless wiretapping, the government has suspended Habeas Corpus, and can "disappear" someone in a way not dissimilar to the methods Lenin used to destroy his political opposition.

You will have to forgive me for jumping at shadows.

If something like this ever happens, I'll have to push forward my plans to buy my own concorde.

Flying's crap enough these days already (23+ hr flight to the US is like hell amplified).