What's your favourite automotive philosophy?

• Total voters

Polly

wants a cracker
I'm getting tired of all the various threads, so let's settle this once and for all in good old Finalgear manner - WITH A POLL!

Remember, this is not about the Nissan GT-R being faster around the N?rburgring than a Z06 or if solid axles are outdated or similar shenanigans, we've had dozens of them. It's about which way of making a car you prefer. This way, when arguments about that question turn up in the future, everybody can just refer to this thread and hopefully there will be no more pages after pages full of fanboi-ish moaning and groaning.

I do believe in a FG-Utopia where the boundaries are defined and everybody has the opportunity to keep his view (concerning this topic) happily to himself. Because let's just face it: Nobody has ever changed another persons oppinion over the internet.

Now with more options, by popular demand.

Thanks a bunch, Viper!:)

Where's the poll ?

A real scatter-gun spread of votes from me - each philosophy (well, most of them) appeals to me for their own reasons. Picking just the one favourite? No can do - each approach can turn out a brilliant machine.

When you drive a proper german car, you'll know why they are the best.

Well, i voted German Engineering, Italian Passion and British Leightweight. And to (maybe surprise you a bit) i would Take a Porsche 911, an Alfa 159 Sportwagon and a Lotus :D

Chris

I'm surprised that anyone voted for the "shitbox" category.

The French aren't all about unreliable hot hatches - they also have a distinguished history in somewhat unreliable and complicated luxury barges! Having a brilliant design and building it poorly must be a French thing...

Japanese High-Tech was the main one for me, but I also voted for American Muscle, British Lightweight and Australian proper handling Muscle-Cars or something..

Malaysian/Pan-Asian shitboxes for the win! How can anybody resist this?!

083261.1-lg.jpg

A real scatter-gun spread of votes from me - each philosophy (well, most of them) appeals to me for their own reasons. Picking just the one favourite? No can do - each approach can turn out a brilliant machine.

which is why I voted for passion, high tech, engineering and light weight. not necessarily in that order.

checkboxes FTW!

Well, I feel compelled to explain my vote in German Engineering and Japanese High-tech.

Think this way: the 'Australian proper handling Muscle-Cars or something..' are in fact the Commodore and Falcon, which are big displacement NA engines with shitloads of power and torque. Germans offer cars such as the M5, C63, RS6. They are NOT the same thing, but close enough for me.

The 'Italian Passion' issue could be parcially solved by hiring Pininfarina to make the body design. The "French Safety/Unreliable Hot Hatchery" could be compared to their japanese rivals, as the Type-R Civic (Si here), Integra, AE86, etc. The "Swedish Common Sense" too finds a couterpart in Japan.

The Spain option is actually German, the Shitboxes option has some cheap japanese stuff to rival and is in fact how japanese cars were seen when they started to come to the western civilazation decades ago...

The 'British Lightweight' and "American Muscle" are problems, though. There are no German or Japanese cars to match those philosophies.. But although I like Lotuses and Challengers, the average representant of these philosophies does not appeal to me that much.

I would like the British lightweight philosophy, tied to either French or Italian design (Italian unless the French are having a good day), with German-style electrical systems and a big lairy Australian V8 engine.

Not to be a douche... but i prefer British heavyweight. (I'm gonna guess lightweight is less than 750kg?)

Had to go pacific rim with this one :lol:

I like the contrast between sensibility and madness, so Swedes it is.

Voted: American Muscle, German Engineering, Italian passion, Japanese High tech, and Swedish awesome Koenigseggs

I might have voted for the swedes if it wasn't for the woman in the new Volvo C30 C5 (?) advert with the silly hair and the bloke with the silly face. Wrong image, so I've gone off it a bit.

Well, I feel compelled to explain my vote in German Engineering and Japanese High-tech.

Think this way: the 'Australian proper handling Muscle-Cars or something..' are in fact the Commodore and Falcon, which are big displacement NA engines with shitloads of power and torque. Germans offer cars such as the M5, C63, RS6. They are NOT the same thing, but close enough for me.

Which we do for about a thrid of the price :lol: