Get the pitchforks! We're going to murder my brother

La Chaton

Not A Dude
Car(s)
Umm.. the imaginary one in my mind
[irrelevant rant warning]

Ahhrgggrruhggg! So I just had a major wipe out on my bike in the driveway, and it's the middle of the night so my parents aren't awake but my brother was out there and when he saw me go down he came up and I said, "go get me some Advil, water, and an icepack." So he ran in the house and got an icepack, and then stood stupidly for another few seconds until I was like, "advil?" so he ran back in the house and came out a full few minutes later and said, "do you want ibuprofen, acetaminophen, or (something else long)?"

WTF? A.d.v.i.l.

Well I eventually ditched him and limped into the house to see some pretty grisly looking scrapes and bruises, but I'm alright now, if in a lot of pain. :mad:

Alright, done ranting now.

But, more importantly, anyone know a good way to get big scrapes clean without causing major pain?

Last edited:
Wash it with water then apply LOADS of neosporin. I'm too wimpy to use that Iodine stuff or Hydrogen Peroxide, stings too much. Neosporin is the safe effective way to prevent infection, without the sting! And definitely go with Ibuprofen. Anything above the neck, Advil, below the neck Ibuprofen!

^ Okay, I'll try that, thanks. But it still hurts too much to touch at all right now. :/

^ Motrin I meant. Can you get your hands on any Novacaine? That'll make the pain go away ;). If it hurts to the touch, wet a rag then squeeze out as much of the water as you can, then lightly dab at the cuts. It shouldn't hurt and you'll be cleaning it.

Don't forget to put bandages or bandaids to cover the cuts after you wash and neosporin them, and the neosporin is an absolute must. I wiped out on a West Virginia mountain bike trail and I forgot that step; it wouldn't heal for days until a camp stapher (sic) applied neosporin, and within a day it stopped swelling and the pain went away. It'll get pus-y after a day or so, but that's just a sign that the healing is working properly.

pitchforks? this is a car forum.
I think death by VW bug is more entertaining

Yeah, cold water in the bathtub is a good start for scrapes. Gotta wash them clean.

I can't see anything wrong with what your brother did. I mean, it's not like there was an urgency to get some advil in your system. And an ice pack probably isn't much help either.

But sorry to hear about, definitely sucks. My first instinct would be to stop any bleeding and sterilize the wounds.

I was on my mountain bike last year and wiped out badly when I planted my front tire into a hole about two feet deep that I didn't see until it was too late. I got catapulted over the handlebars and banged my head (though it wasn't an issue since I had a helmet on), scraped both arms, almost broke my left shoulder and ripped most of the skin off my right palm.

When I went up to the hospital, they cleaned my hand with an iodine brush and dressed it with a gauze pad with generous amounts of polysporin/neosporin ointment on it. The nurse was adamant that it be the ointment and not the cream since it was more effective. I changed the dressing a couple of times a day (which was expensive, but totally worth it.) It's been over a year and it's almost impossible to tell by looking that I hurt myself as badly as I did.

Long story short, go to the hospital. Get yourself cleaned up properly. It may hurt some (believe me I know, that iodine brush was NOT fun), but you'll reduce your chances of scarring.

Last edited:
For cleaning the wounds, and also for the pain!
1253-smirnoff_premium_vodka.jpg

On a more serious note, just wash them with water, and if you feel like you need to go to the hospital, go there.

Being in the mountain biker with terrible ideas crowd, I've had my fair share of cuts and scrapes. Although some darn gnome did come out and push me off a log ride, then bit a chunk out of my arm earlier this year

Like everyone said, clean it with soap, and if you're ever up for some more pain, wash it with peroxide once (too much of it does cause scarring, from personal experience,) apply some polysporin ointment on it, and cover it up with some Tegaderm dressing which helps with the healing and minimize scarring. Mind you the derssing does get filled with some nasty looking stuff, so I'd suggest wrapping it with something to avoid grossing out those around ya . Finally if there are signs of scarring, since you did mention 'big scrape,' try massaging it with your thumb once the new skin has formed