Pick a car - new company car

jimmymac

So i've just been given a rough list of which cars will probably be available for a new company car. Theres no specific details on the exact variant of model, just the make and model of the car. Just wanted to get peoples thoughts on which they would consider to be the better choice. I have to pick two options and they will then try and get me one of the two I have chosen. The list is as follows:

Saab 9.3
Peugot 407
Toyota Avensis
Skoda Octavia
Nissan Qashqai
VW Jetta
Citreon Picasso
Mazda 5
Vauxhall Vectra
Renault Laguna
VW Passat
New Ford Mondeo ? joining the fleet in September approx

right now i am thinking of choosing between the peugot, passat and mondeo but if anyone can suggest otherwise then feel free to give me some pointers :)

I would go for the Saab 9.3, the Ford Mondeo or the Skoda Octavia. I really don't like the looks of Passat and 407 ;)

Chris

If its a VRS version - the Scoda Octavia would be awefully tempting...:whistle:

But otherwise, its gotta be the Mondeo. That looks the best of that bunch. A Jetta or Passat would also be worth considering, but it depends on what sort of engine choice you get.

What country are you from? I'm just wondering how much of a concern fuel economy and C02 emissions are to you...

in england, fuel is covered by a fuel card but i will get taxed on any of these cars quite heavily. Not too worried about that at the moment though.

I have driven the skoda octavia before and I really liked it, lovely smooth drive and came with every toy under the sun inside, however the missus is already telling me i'm not allowed it. No amount of explaining will tear here away from it being a skoda! bloody snob!

Reason I looked at the pug was because from looking at the details it seems to come with quite a lot of decent stuff as standard inside it. The problem I have is that all of these cars could be the baseline model and I will basically be spending most of my working day in it so it needs to be comfortable. Things like air conditioning and such are essential.

The new mondeo I think is probably my biggest pull, really nice cars from what I have seen and if anything was to go wrong theres generally a ford garage every 500 yards nowadays.

The passat perked my interest as I have driven volkswagens before, previous car was a Golf GT which I loved, old man drives a 52 plate passat and its a cracking drive so I am fairly sure I cant go wrong with it.

I'd be choosing between the Passat & Mondeo - from that list they're the ones that jump out at me.

just having a look at the Saab 9-3, looks like quite a nice option too, anyone tell me a little more about what kind of things come as standard in that or if its a worthwhile choice?

Well whatever you do - DON'T get a Toyota Avensis :p

If he mentioned "Vauxhall Vectra", what do you think? :lol: UK...
Isn't it called a Vauxhall in other parts of Europe? I know it is also rebadged as a Opel but is the Vauxhall badged Vectra only available in the UK?

Isn't it called a Vauxhall in other parts of Europe? I know it is also rebadged as a Opel but is the Vauxhall badged Vectra only available in the UK?

Nope. Only the UK gets the Vauxhall, since the UK is the only country with right-hand drive. And the Vauxhalls currently in production are exclusively left-hand drive. Opel makes the same cars, in left-hand drive, for the rest of Europe.

No amount of explaining will tear here away from it being a skoda! bloody snob!

Tell her it's a VW (because let's face it - it is)

Correct.

I would say mondeo passat or octavia also.

Think i'm down to a few choice then, just one to knock of the list, between the Passat, Mondeo and Saab I reckon. I think its pretty much a dead cert that i'll keep the mondeo on the list as its always highly recommended so its just choosing between the saab and the passat really.

It does seem like the saab comes with far more in the interior than the VW on their standard models which is certainly more of a pull for me, anyone suggest otherwise?

I have emailed the co-ordinator for this back and asked if she can give me any information on model variations so might be able to get a bit more info

Tell her it's a VW (because let's face it - it is)

Thats the explaining I was giving her, I suppose its one of those cars you have to actually drive before you appreciate it but its certainly not helping her come round to it!

Vauxhall is UK-only, in the rest of Europe it's an Opel. It's literally just changing the badge on the front; other than that the ranges are almost* identical.

*Minus oddities like the Vauxhall VXR8 or the Opel GT

The Mondeo and the Skoda were the two that jumped out at me on the list.

edit - Hmm, Passat or Saab...tough one.

*Minus oddities like the Vauxhall VXR8 or the Opel GT

or the Monaro, which germany unfortunately never got...

or the Monaro, which germany unfortunately never got...

I was going to say 'serves you right for having RHD cars', but then I realised they sold a RHD version as the Pontiac GTO in the US.

Weird.