Olympics

well you guys got a good chance in the mens 1500m free 2moro Cochrane is looking strong.
<---- Look at location ;)

I'm American, I'm just surprised that Canada has sucked this bad. Watching CBC coverage it's amazing how stellar they make mediocrity appear. "Hey, making the pre-lims was our goal so to be here in 15th is pretty amazing!"

<---- Look at location ;)

Watching CBC coverage it's amazing how stellar they make mediocrity appear. "Hey, making the pre-lims was our goal so to be here in 15th is pretty amazing!"

Did you expect them to just shit all over our athletes? I consider even making it to the Olympics is a huge achievement for an athlete, I'm not going to say somebody sucks just because they didn't win. Sure, it's too bad we haven't won anything yet, but I'm not really concerned.

Did you expect them to just shit all over our athletes? I consider even making it to the Olympics is a huge achievement for an athlete, I'm not going to say somebody sucks just because they didn't win. Sure, it's too bad we haven't won anything yet, but I'm not really concerned.
I expected wall to wall Michael Phelps coverage!!! :p

But thanks to the CBC for what has been good coverage, it's usually better than NBC's and it's live for those of us here on the Left Coast.

Do you pay for the CBC in the same way the English pay for the BBC? Or is it normal taxes and funding?

I'm not totally sure how our tax dollars are distributed with respect to the CBC, but people without cable can receive the main CBC channel with an antenna. Personally, I prefer watching the NBC coverage because after all the US coverage, they show a lot of Chinese athletes, whereas the CBC coverage I feel focuses WAAAAAY too much on Canadian athletes, even if they finish in 30th place or something like that. It's pretty depressing, even though I love Canada. We better not fuck up in 2010, though we usually get a lot medals in winter sports.

Do you pay for the CBC in the same way the English pay for the BBC? Or is it normal taxes and funding?

There's no license fee, it's just tax money.

Speaking of Phelps, there is some controversy over his 7th medal, apparently the Serb guy won but he didn't hit the board hard enough.

felps-cavic.jpg

felps-cavic-02.jpg

Last edited:
Hard to tell from those pics. It looks like the other guys arms are fully extended, but not touching the wall, and he may be about ready to pull them back for another stroke, while Phelps may be about ready to extend his. From the underwater shot, it appears that the positions of each swimmer's waist is about equal (though it's unclear because it seems to be a distorted "fish eye" view, as the wall looks curved), the only difference being the Serb guy is more extended at that point.

Although, to be honest, I don't really know that much about Olympic swimming, so I'm just babbling :)

BTW, why is his named spelled "Felps" in those pics?

Last edited:
Speaking of Phelps, there is some controversy over his 7th medal, apparently the Serb guy won but he didn't his the board hard enough.

Didn't hit his board hard enough? That doesn't make any sense. You either hit it first or you don't. I also like how in the pics they took the time to put the diacritic over Cavic's name but didn't spell Phelps right.

Even if he didn't hit the board hard enough, the board is a part of the rules (I assume). If you don't hit it hard enough, you don't hit it hard enough and your time doesn't count.

Even if he didn't hit the board hard enough, the board is a part of the rules (I assume). If you don't hit it hard enough, you don't hit it hard enough and your time doesn't count.

Got a rule you can quote to back up that assertion? I highly doubt that the sensitivity of the timing equipment is going to be an integral part of a swimmer's technique, but I know jack all about swimming.

Got a rule you can quote to back up that assertion? I highly doubt that the sensitivity of the timing equipment is going to be an integral part of a swimmer's technique, but I know jack all about swimming.
Did you actually watch it? Those pictures are deceiving; Phelps's final stroke was just enough to beat Cavic. The underwater replay makes it much clearer.

Last edited:
Did you actually watch it? Those pictures are deceiving; Phelps's final stroke was just enough to beat Cavic.

As with all sports, slow motion video from multiple angles is always better for making a call, rather than basing it soley on pics.

No, I was just guessing. Obviously an equipment malfunction wouldn't count, but one could argue "I brushed the wall ever so slightly before him!" if it was nearly a tie but they lost according to the timing equipment.

Just watched it on TV. Phelps clearly won it. Cavic was gliding forever.

"If it was up to me, I would just drop the protest," said Cavic, who swam collegiately at the University of California-Berkeley. "I'm stoked with what happened. I don't want to fight this."

Thank goodness for that, I really want to see Phelps match the 8-gold record.

Oh, and Canada is now guaranteed a gold or silver! :D I still think Phelps is going to beat us, though, haha!

Edit:
Damn, that is all kinds of close!

2lxcu0w.gif

Last edited:
1/100th of a second man. That's some serious luck right there.

On another note, do you think he'll make 8 golds? The last one is a relay so its a complete team effort.

Those boards are really sensitive. It's really amazing to use them. If I remember correctly they're capacitive rather than touch based. Might be wrong though.

He'll get 8. The us mens team are favorites in the relay.

Poor Serbian guy, he could touch the gold medal with his fingertips and suddenly it was gone. He'll have to be really strong to get over this.

^The referee said that he crawled of the mat when he clearly didn't, so he lost the match and the chance to wrestle for gold. And it was the second time he was ruled out of the Olympics, the same thing happened last time as well.

phelps was lucky there.... Cavic was gliding, phelps hit the wall dead on, perfect stroke counting.

however, i can see why there might be controversy as its so close.

as a swimmer i'll have to tell you that its probably not all that amazing or even rare, having swam competitively for years finicky timing pads are just a way of life, thats how it is and we accept it, thats why Cavic isnt up for contesting the result. thats why we are always taught to mash the pad hard to register a time. the pad's sometimes arent all that accurate (though these being new and the whole building being state of the art, id imagine these are some of the most accurate) and some take more force than others to trigger though and sometimes, the time recorded at the pad isnt even used.#

the number of times my time hasnt come up on the board and they;ve had to resort to back ups and stop watches is ... well quite a lot, and thats despite punishing the pads at the end.

they cant be too sensitive, or waves will trigger them

the ref's have a back up button thats linked to the pad, just incase the swimmer didnt hit the board hard enough to register a time and failing that, they have the good ol fashioned stop watch.

phelps was lucky there, it was all down to stroke timing.... Cavic was gliding in, phelps had his hands going through the air so he had the better chance of hitting the wall first. phelps got the perfect finish there...thats exactly how you want to end a race...at the end of the recorvery portion of the stroke.

Didn't hit his board hard enough? That doesn't make any sense. You either hit it first or you don't. I also like how in the pics they took the time to put the diacritic over Cavic's name but didn't spell Phelps right.

like i said, if u dont hit the board hard enough it wont register and it'll go off the back up time which is activated by the time keeper at the end of the lane which in theory will be a slower. basicallly, you get a time no matter what. theres so much more to swimming than just bombing up n down the pool.

Those boards are really sensitive. It's really amazing to use them. If I remember correctly they're capacitive rather than touch based. Might be wrong though.

He'll get 8. The us mens team are favorites in the relay.

yeah if they loose that, they need a stern talking to

Last edited: