USB 2.0 will not work

Brother Michael

Car(s)
-02 BMW 530d Touring M-Sport
So here is my problem.

I bought a new external hard drive, Buffalo Ministation 250Gb usb 2.0, nothing unusual. The thing is when I connected it to my computer and started transfering files from my PC harddrive to the Buffalo, it started telling me that I have not connected the device to a USB 2.0 port and that it will no work as well as it could.

The joke is that I only have usb 2.0 ports. And I am soooo clueless about what to do to this anymore. BIOS was fine, so usb 2.0 is enabled, service pack 1 installed, motherboard drivers ok....

Now I think that I don't (for some reason) have the usb 2.0 drivers fro Windows (XP). And so far I haven't found any that I could download. Maybe it's just me and my incompetence, but I am reeeeeally starting to boil over, since now the it's slooooooooow when moving files around.

Any clues/suggestions ? Oh and the chipset is intel 845E if that helps. Yes, my PC is very, really old....

Did you say Service Pack 1? XP is up to SP3 already.

So, first, install SP3, then install the chipset driver from Intel (instead of the default Windows driver)

Damn you beat me to it.

USB 2.0 came out in 2000/2001 and your chipset is '02 so I suspect you do have 2.0 (not saying that I don't trust you or something, just wanted to double check).

Do a windows update and get service pack 3. That fixes a whole bunch of issues anyways and will most likely make your USB dilemma disappear.

So, first, install SP3, then install the chipset driver from Intel (instead of the default Windows driver)

Sorry, I was a bit unclear about that. Of course I have SP1 and SP2. Some source told me that the absence of SP1 might cause the problem ==> that's why I mentioned it.

And I learned about SP3 just now ==> goes find it and hopes for the best.

SP3 will not solve your problem.
I hope I am not right, but there may be no fix for your problem - it happens with these OEM hard drives. I used to have an external drive manufactured by company called MTC. It worked fine with my laptop, but on my desktop it simply wouldn't show up.

I just solved a similar problem for a friend, his USB flash drives will not show up. I deleted the two registry key that's mentioned here. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925196 And it fixed the problem. This involves messing with the registry so do it at your own risk.

Also, I have the VIA USB 2.0 drivers, so if your USB controller is VIA, I can upload them for you to try.

Right, the problem is solved. First I downloaded SP3, which actually did help, since that made it possible for me to get the new drivers working for the chipset. Apparently my PC is even more f****d up than I thought it was, since before installing SP3 the new drivers wouldn't do a damn thing. Thankfully I didn't have to go messing with the registry, that was already one solution I had in mind before posting......I am just not that goot with computers in general so I didn't want to do it.

Thank you for everyone for the quick solutions, now it's working just fine.

due to me being lazy, I did not know there was an SP3 out already. Got it now, and it works

thanks for pointing it out anyways...

due to me being lazy, I did not know there was an SP3 out already. Got it now, and it works

thanks for pointing it out anyways...

I got SP3 but found that it causes some errors with my Mobo and other shit, and didn't actually improve Windows at all. SO I downgraded back to SP2, and all is well again.