2008 European Formula 1 Grand Prix

Ferrari and McLaren are close, even though Ferrari finished higher in both practices.

Button's and Alonso's times show that we shouldn't take Fridays seriously. It's impressive that nobody hit the walls! In GP2 there were several red and yellow flags.

Button's and Alonso's times show that we shouldn't take Fridays seriously.

Sense - She makes it.

Having said that, though, it's definitely going to be an exciting weekend. The track looks fabulous, Alonso and Button's showboating aside, it's gonna be real close between Ferrari and McLaren, even though it seems like Ferrari on average seem to be doing a couple tenths better, as the track rubbers in some, you will probably see the McLaren's coming alive as well.

Surprised that Red Bull has completely lost it's way, though DC said that they bought new parts to the track and none of them worked. When they revert back to the old set up they will probably find some more speed.

Quietly optimistic to see the Honda's MAYYYYYYYYYBEEEE battle it out with something other than Force India. Maybe some fantastic Ross Brawnism is in the works for the weekend? Who knows.

It's looking good though, it's looking really good!

^ I was worried this was going to be a crap race - looks like it's going to be very good!!! :)

Yeah, I saw them doing that at Hockenheim as well, very weird...this quali is gonna be very exciting...I'm hoping Vettel can do well...

That was really close...should be a great race tommorow as Hamilton is on the grippy side (according to itv) and is on the line for turn 2...

That was really close...should be a great race tommorow as Hamilton is on the grippy side (according to itv) and is on the line for turn 2...

Sorry to steal your thunder...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/69984

Pole slot moved to right side of track

By Jonathan Noble Saturday, August 23rd 2008, 12:36 GMT

The pole position slot for the European Grand Prix has been switched to the right side of the track ahead of this weekend's first race in Valencia.

The original first slot was situated on the left hand side of the track, which was supposed to have been more favourable for the racing line into the first right hand corner.

But after observing the behaviour of cars during practice on Friday and Saturday, FIA Formula One safety delegate Charlie Whiting has announced that the pole position slot will now be moved to the right.

A statement issued shortly before qualifying said: "Having observed the line taken by cars across the grid, and in accordance with Article 36.2 (a) off the F1 Sporting Regulations, the first grid position will be removed and pole position will now be on the right hand side of the grid."

The regulation refers to the layout of the grid, stating that on new circuits the pole position side is decided by the FIA safety delegate.

Decision taken just before quali.

Plus, it was actually Vettel who was fastest in Q2. I think he has a generous amount of fuel on board, certainly heavier than the ones in front of him. He has a major shot at a podium here.

That sucks...well, we'll see wat Lewis can do tommorow...

As for Vettel, his time was compromised by a mistake, not fuel. He was very fast in the first sector, and then suddenly 8 tenths off by the end of the second, so he made a mistake. He'll have a great rac,e but not a podium. I say either Massa or Hamilton forthe win, and Kimi in third...

A bit disappointing for me from Hamilton. Couple of lock-ups, not 100% comfortable during either of his fueled laps, and comprehensively outpaced by Massa in S1. Let's hope everything works out well during the race. The two teams are probably similarly fueled again.

The track looks fabulous btw, Valencia is a beautiful city...

Sorry to steal your thunder...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/69984

Decision taken just before quali.

Plus, it was actually Vettel who was fastest in Q2. I think he has a generous amount of fuel on board, certainly heavier than the ones in front of him. He has a major shot at a podium here.

Oh. :|

Well, it's still an interesting set of results, and should throw up a decent race.
I still think Hamilton has a chance of winning.

Hard to put my money on anyone other than Massa, really. I think Kovalainen might be a bit heavier but he hasnt looked particularly fast and that last lap of his seemed a bit ragged to me. I think Vettel is slightly lighter but thats some awesome pace he has under him and would've been much higher up the grid but for that second sector. I agree with The Real Stig, it does seem as if it was a mistake in there somewhere. Kubica also looking dangerous and could be on for the upset.

Track looks good as well, gonna be great when they eventually finish the redevelopment of the circuit locale.

Going to be a great race tomorrow, shame I wont be able to see it live (damn work!).

Last edited:
I hope it's going to be an exciting race tomorrow, the start will be crucial I think, I hope Massa can keep his position.

Great lap by the Brazilian, I wonder who is heavier, he or Hamilton.
Kimi and Kova behind their team mates, I don't think they'll have a chance to win tomorrow even if they carry more fuel.
Well done Kubica, good to see him back in the press conference.
Congrats to Toro Rosso, maybe they can score some points tomorrow.
Disappointing quali for Renault, Alonso must be upset, maybe his worst quali in the season in front of the Spanish fans.
What the hell is Red Bull doing?

I'm expecting (hoping for) a fight between Massa & Hamilton - though with those barriers it could get messy...

The track layout looks good - but can't say I've been impressed by the location, looks like they're running a race through a shipping container yard.

Hopefully Red Bull get things straight in the next season. Maybe they should swap enginges with Toro Rosso...

Hope Vettel gets some points today!