Would you buy a Nissan R35 GT-R

Would you buy a Nissan R35 GT-R

• Total voters
No thank you. I respect it, just don't want one.

2) Streetability - yes it can be driven on the street just. Yes it is faster than any alternative. However, in daily driving it will be no faster than a Civic because you can only go as fast as traffic allows you to and for those rare times when there isn't much traffic you are unlikely to break a 100, which lets face it just about any car can do.

If you are saying that then really there is no point of driving any sports car on the street.
BTW if i had the money it would be in my garage right now.

Nope. For the sole reason that it doesn't have a manual transmission, I wouldn't buy one. I'm sick of these wimpomatic transmissions. If you can't drive a manual, you shouldn't be driving one of these cars.

Besides, I'm too stingy. Given $72K, I'd go buy something fast and used for $20K and save the rest ;)

Last edited:
, same idea as the VW Phaeton - too expensive, no badge, nobody buys.

At least that's what I'm told! :D

I saw a Phaeton on the road about a year ago and it took me a good minute to figure out I wasn't looking at some new passat and honestly I only figured that out because I finally got close enough to read the badge.

As for the GTR it wouldn't be the first car I'd go out and spend 72 g's on, it would probably be around the 5th or 6th car on my list. It's a great car just not top o the list.

If i had the money i would have preordered it... As for the automatic, guys, i drive an manual all my life (its not that long given i'm 24 but what can i say?) and i love it but lets face it, those new twin-clutch transmissions are way faster than any manual will ever be.

There are other cars I would rather own. You could get a 355, Countach, Viper, Cobra R, and some other really interesting cars for that money. Slower for sure, but its not all about speed for me.

If i had the money i would have preordered it... As for the automatic, guys, i drive an manual all my life (its not that long given i'm 24 but what can i say?) and i love it but lets face it, those new twin-clutch transmissions are way faster than any manual will ever be.

Yes even the fastest of fast H-patterns will be MILES off of the 100-millisecond benchmark for flappy-paddles. And if you took the ignition kill out of the equation you'd be looking at uber fast changing speeds (like some race cars have, like FBMW).

Absolutely. Id even put up with the lack of manual box and the ride comfort

Some people would rather lose that time and gain that "feel" you get with the manual, they are the same people who hate the gtr in general and dismiss it as a "playstation on wheels"

Faster times or better "feel", not everybody cares about the times. (personally I'll take the faster, who cares how it does it)

yeah, why not?

I sure would. This car does everything I want a car to do.

No. I dunno why, but even with all the hype and the million hp and TG saying its one of the bestest cars ever, but I just don't see it.

Sure, it's quicker than anything else in the same price class (and then some), but I think it's too ugly to be driven around on a daily basis. Also, I'd probably be able to extract about 5% of this cars potential, so I'd be wasting 95%

Simple question, possibly not-so-simple answer.

"Given $72,000, would you buy a Nissan R35 GT-R?"

5-6 years ago, without a doubt, i'd talk about it without end and blather on about the specs and performance on the ring.

fastforward to today...not so much. My tastes have changed since then.
Perhaps if it received little media press and talked about very little except among a small group of ppl 'in-the-know' then maybe i'd consider it.

to be honest once i start approaching that price range and that level of super performance, i still would buy a more expensive and SLOWER 911 Carrera S, because it would be the car to make me happy, while the GT-R wouldn't.

GT-R is a pretty incredible car and the car of many ppl's dreams, and thats ok, but i've removed myself from that crowd a while ago and have no wish to revisit it.

Last edited:
Woow, its 50/50.

I'd say no. The GT-R is astonishing piece of engineering, but I don't like all the playstation read-outs, that makes this car too tech-y and not very attractive. For that kind of money I'd probably go for an M3 or RS4..

No, I would not. Given that amount of money I would go for one of these in a matter of nanoseconds.

mufp_0606_32_z+ford_mustang_clone_car_classics+eleanor_front.jpg

And also about 1,532? other vehicles. I just don't like it, does nothing for me. I still look at it and think "nice computer".....and don't start with me about "it's great and fast and can kill your spine in the corners".....yeah, I do not care, since in order for me to buy a car (especially a performance car) it needs to make me feel excited in some way, be it the looks, the noise, the sheer power.....GT-R.....nothing. Leaves me completely cold.

*yawn*

Sorry what's that, I was just falling asleep? I've never really liked Skylines/GT-Rs, because of the stupid backwards-cap-youth sort of image. But besides that, it just fails to capture my imagination. I've seen one in person, and it's not even close to pretty. I'm sure it would be one of the best drives of my life, but I'm afraid I'm not really in the position to give a shit about it.

My we all live privileged lives, yes? We can poo-poo a GT-R!

Woow, its 50/50.

I'd say no. The GT-R is astonishing piece of engineering, but I don't like all the playstation read-outs, that makes this car too tech-y and not very attractive. For that kind of money I'd probably go for an M3 or RS4..

Much like you, i'd much rather own cars like that because: they're fast, refined, stately, i never have to discuss or explain them, i'd get respect from the few that are in the know, and generally ignored by the population at large who would see cars like that and just assume they're like every other generic sports sedan.

So thats what i like now, subtle, near-invisible performance cars that are good looking, appreciated by few, ignored by many, including the police and racer kids.

Unfortunately the GTR fills none of those criteria

Interesting question because until recently I would have said no way. Just don't want one.

But now?? Yeh I really think I would, and not necessarily because its the cheap alternative either. Whats the competition. M3, C63 AMG, RS4, IS-F. The GT-R is faster and probably easier to drive than all those.

The only thing that worries me as an everyday proposition is the ride comfort.

Effectively the same for me, apart from the fact that we occasionally have proper winters here and for that the AWD would be a serious bonus over the others mentioned above (apart from RS4, of course).

If I had enough money and would need a car on everyday basis (which I don't at the moment) and the GT-R would be legal in Finland (not sure if it is, the old ones certainly weren't) I might well go for it. However, since I don't need a car on everyday basis I would get myself some old classic (or, for that money, three) and spend the rest of the cash fixing it(them)them up.

Hence, no from me, but if the question had been 'would I take the GT-R than one of it's competitors in the price range' it would have been yes.