VOIP help (Skype, GC)

cvrefugee

Car(s)
2005 Scion xB
I'm getting my computer repair business up and running (I'm the sole employee right now :lol:) and I'm trying to keep my business separate from my personal life. What I mean is that I created a separate email address for my business and now I'd like to create a separate phone number. Any service that is cheap or free is most ideal. So far this is what I've seen:

-$2.95/month + $30/year for SkypeIn

-Allows me to create a local phone number to receive business calls that can be answered on my computer or forwarded to my house/cell phone. Voicemail is also included

GrandCentral

-Free right now so who knows what the cost will be

-Does exactly what I want but I can't sign up!

don't go skype. was very usefull in the beginning, but nowadays you have many cheap standalone solutions which don't need your pc to be on line

if you don't want many functionalities, best would be a stand alone phone like the grandstream GXP-2000, 4 SIP accounts, 4 active lines, ethernet switch, ... but no option to phone via fixed line
http://www.voipsolutions.be/voip-te...andstream-gxp-2000-meest-verkocht/language/en

or if you want to go portable, the Siemens Gigaset S685IP phone, 6 VOIP SIP accounts, 3 simultaneous calls, up to 6 handsets/base, easy switching between VOIP/fixed line calling with single button, bluetooth, SMS, e-mail notification, yellow pages access, .... possibilities are realy endless on this phone
http://www.voipsolutions.be/voip-phones/sip-dect-phones/siemens-gigaset-s685-ip.html

(both are our best selling products in their respective categories)

if you want to keep your current phones, best would be something like the Fritz!box
http://www.voipsolutions.be/voip-routers/fritzbox-fon-wlan-7140-wifi-voip-annex-a.html (might need annex B, dunno)
it replaces your modem, router, pbx (phone switchboard), all with one device, features USB port for printer/external hard disk, wireless lan, 4 ethernet ports, firewall, ... everything you expect from a router, but your phone connects to it as well

you'll also need a VOIP SIP account, one both phones, you can set up to 4 accounts, on the fritz!box you can go up to 10, so you can look around, it might be best to get a few, and choose per call which one is cheapest

i work for http://www.ringonce.be and www.voipsolutions.be, so maybe go take a look there ;)
(only work there since 2 weeks, so i don't know everything yet)

Last edited:
If you live in a city where you can get SkypeIn, go for it, although bone's suggestions are work a look, too.

I have no problems with leaving my desktop on 24/7 for Skype, which I do. Just have it turn everything that isn't essential off (monitor, hard drive when not in use, etc) and you'll have nearly no spike in your electric bill. The one problem i've seen with skype is that, when i'm downloading anything over torrents, the call quality is degraded the smallest bit, about like talking on a cell phone when i'm not getting much signal. Other than that, it's quality.

Hope that helps...

don't go skype. was very usefull in the beginning, but nowadays you have many cheap standalone solutions which don't need your pc to be on line

The only problem with using the standalone stuff is cost. I have to invest in the equipment and still pay a monthly fee, is that correct? I know the VOIP techies don't like Skype because it's all proprietary but that doesn't bother me.

If you live in a city where you can get SkypeIn, go for it, although bone's suggestions are work a look, too.

Yes, SkypeIn is available here with my area code so I'm very happy about that.

I have no problems with leaving my desktop on 24/7 for Skype, which I do. Just have it turn everything that isn't essential off (monitor, hard drive when not in use, etc) and you'll have nearly no spike in your electric bill. The one problem i've seen with skype is that, when i'm downloading anything over torrents, the call quality is degraded the smallest bit, about like talking on a cell phone when i'm not getting much signal. Other than that, it's quality.

Hope that helps...

I found out that I don't even need Skype to be running or my PC to be turned on for call forwarding. Here's some info I pulled from the Skype knowledge base:

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cv/cvrefugee/2008/09/04/skype02.PNG

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cv/cvrefugee/2008/09/04/skype01.PNG

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cv/cvrefugee/2008/09/04/skype03.PNG

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cv/cvrefugee/2008/09/04/skype04.PNG

So unless GrandCentral opens up to the public I'll have to go with Skype for now since it requires the least amount of money per month and no equipment costs.

The only problem with using the standalone stuff is cost. I have to invest in the equipment and still pay a monthly fee, is that correct? I know the VOIP techies don't like Skype because it's all proprietary but that doesn't bother me.

correct, but you'll have to pay the montly fee anyway, a phone doesn't cost that much and sure beats mic and speakers you have to use for skype...

I found out that I don't even need Skype to be running or my PC to be turned on for call forwarding. Here's some info I pulled from the Skype knowledge base:
So unless GrandCentral opens up to the public I'll have to go with Skype for now since it requires the least amount of money per month and no equipment costs.

no such thing as free communication, if you have your skype calls forwarded to you mobile, YOU will have to pay for the communication between your skype account and your mobile. then it's better to directly give you mobile number, then the caller will have to pay for it.

I just thought I'd say, you can actually use Skype without a PC, per se.

Eg.:
http://www.belkin.com/skype/howitworks/

if you still can find a phone like that, go for it

don't ask my why but skype doesn't like these phones at all, they refused licenses to those firms, and none is still allowed to sell/make phones with skype integrated...

most webshops will have it out of stock, or as end of life

I have no experience with true VoIP, but I can tell you for about $20 a month I get a regular digital line (goes through cable lines, but works like a regular landline) with unlimited local calls.

That would be your cable provider's VoIP service.

^ It's not in that sense... even though it goes through cable lines it's still routed through my building's central switchboard or whatever the phone system is called. I just get regular phone service from all my phone jacks.

I guess it could go out, but my internet's never cut off.

That would be your cable provider's VoIP service.

that service would work with the regular internet packets, there is no special signal for VOIP

I have no experience with true VoIP, but I can tell you for about $20 a month I get a regular digital line (goes through cable lines, but works like a regular landline) with unlimited local calls.

same for me, analog telephone, analog TV, digital TV, internet all come in through a single coax cable

no such thing as free communication, if you have your skype calls forwarded to you mobile, YOU will have to pay for the communication between your skype account and your mobile. then it's better to directly give you mobile number, then the caller will have to pay for it.

The whole reason I'm doing this is to hide my mobile number, yet I still want to receive calls on it. Kind of complicated I know. I just want a new phone number that will be used solely for business.

^so can't you just get a second mobile number?

i also have 2 numbers, one for private, one for work

and i bought a samsung D880, supports dual sim. easiest thing in the world

There is one possible problem with Skype. If you start calling people, your caller id that shows on their phones usually is something like "1234567890" and some people are suspicious of these and never pick up when they see a number like this.

^so can't you just get a second mobile number?

i also have 2 numbers, one for private, one for work

and i bought a samsung D880, supports dual sim. easiest thing in the world

I could get another mobile number, but it would cost me too much money (over $40/month).

There is one possible problem with Skype. If you start calling people, your caller id that shows on their phones usually is something like "1234567890" and some people are suspicious of these and never pick up when they see a number like this.

Unless you have a Skype Phone Number, then it shows the number that you bought through skype.

I have a skype related question, is it possible to do conference calls with webcams? I still have not figured a way to do it. With conference calls I mean 3 individual people in one conversation with webcams, meaning each person sees the other two.

Unfortunatelly it is not possible yet. Video calls can be just 1 on 1 at the moment.