So CERN's new Hadron collider gets turned on for proper in a few days....

Does somebody know at what time that thing is turned on?

They start just by spinning particles around one way then the other. After that they have to calibrate all the detectors and other equipment until they can start colliding things.

I can promise you that the end of the world wont come tomorrow. If Im wrong there is nobody around to complain. :D

my mates spoke to one of the programmers at the LHC (via the interwebz) and he said that they do actually have a crow bar in the office as a joke.

^Somebody needs to rip that, sounds really interesting!

I'd love to see a show about it

According to the schedule, they've started circulating particle beams through it about 20 minutes ago.

[takes a page out of jayhawk's book]

Yep, I'm still alive.

Guys is it just me or is there a houndeye squealing outside zapping people?

I wish the webcast was working. Located here: http://webcast.cern.ch/index2.html

If anyone does get a chance to watch something go down live, do post it here. I'd love to know what's happening.

Well this means logical scientists 1 and crazy handwaving fools claiming to be experts (but actually not being experts) 0.

Hooray for doing your homework and not destroying the universe.

The LHC has reached full power and we're not dead yet so there you go.

I thought they weren't going to actually start collisions until Saturday, it takes a few days for the thing to 'warm up'. Or so I've heard, one of my friends met a scientist from CERN, who apparently spent hours explaining why we weren't going to die, then sent him some photos of the LHC itself. I'll have words later and maybe I can post them here. :)

Ok, now that evil Europeans didn't destroy the universe, I'm expecting americans to whine about how 9bn dollars could've been used in a better way, for the good of humanity ( like, for funding a week of the Iraq adventure ).