2010 Mustang sans camo...finally!

Eunos_Cosmo

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'84 Mazda RX7, '12 Mazda 2, '99 Porsche Boxster
I like this model sooo much more than the current one. Looks more muscular, taught and it also promises to be lighter and more powerful. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I think Chevy and Dodge missed their marks with their new pony cars, making them way too heavy, so I'm hoping Ford does it differently. GT500 is also on the page, which also looks improved.

http://jalopnik.com/5047064/2010-ford-mustang-in-the-nude

Like pretty much all other facelifts I think this detracts from the looks of the original design.

Seriously, if I somehow controlled part or all of the auto industry the first thing to go would be facelifts. Just make the damn design an extra 2 years and then move onto something new.

I think Chevy and Dodge missed their marks with their new pony cars, making them way too heavy,

IRS has a way of doing that.

Still, it's a good looking but subtle face lift.

There was nothing wrong with the design in the first place, so it hardly needed a facelift, and I'm not convinced it's benefited in any way from it.

looks like the old one but i like some of the more modern lines. still I'll wait to see the final thing, it's still hard to tell with that camo on it.

It looks a tad watered down imo.. especialyl teh front end and some of the back end looks more curvy than the current one.
:thumbsdown: im afraid

Still like the Camaro or Challenger more.

You read my mind. I have a hard time taking a car with a solid rear axle seriously.

Why is that? A solid axle is much cheaper to manufacturer and, when setup correctly (the Mustang has a damn good setup with a 3 link and panhard bar) they will outperform an independent setup at the dragstrip (where probably 80-90% of Mustangs are raced) and can achieve virtually the same level of performance around a road course, with the stipulation that larger bumps can upset the rear balance mid corner.

People tend to scapegoat the solid rear axle because they don't understand what the real problem is. The real problem with the Mustang is that its too softly sprung, the bushings are too mushy, and the sway bars are not stiff enough from the factory to support real hardcore cornering. Doing that though could compromise not only the regular day-to-day comfort, but also the straight line performance unless lots of money is involved, and the Mustang has always been about its low price.

So you can buy a Mustang GT, order a set of polyurethane bushings, new lower control arms (better geometry) stiffer springs/shocks and some thicker anti-roll bars (can all be had in handling packages from Company's like Griggs) and you have a very competent-handling car. There have been many, many race cars and good road cars with solid Axles (Jaguar D type and E type? anyone?)

Why is that? A solid axle is much cheaper to manufacturer and, when setup correctly (the Mustang has a damn good setup with a 3 link and panhard bar) they will outperform an independent setup at the dragstrip (where probably 80-90% of Mustangs are raced) and can achieve virtually the same level of performance around a road course, with the stipulation that larger bumps can upset the rear balance mid corner.

People tend to scapegoat the solid rear axle because they don't understand what the real problem is. The real problem with the Mustang is that its too softly sprung, the bushings are too mushy, and the sway bars are not stiff enough from the factory to support real hardcore cornering. Doing that though could compromise not only the regular day-to-day comfort, but also the straight line performance unless lots of money is involved, and the Mustang has always been about its low price.

So you can buy a Mustang GT, order a set of polyurethane bushings, new lower control arms (better geometry) stiffer springs/shocks and some thicker anti-roll bars (can all be had in handling packages from Company's like Griggs) and you have a very competent-handling car. There have been many, many race cars and good road cars with solid Axles (Jaguar D type and E type? anyone?)

I think people are more talking about out of the box advantages, not "well I can fix my new car if I rip it apart" :p

There have been many, many race cars and good road cars with solid Axles (Jaguar D type and E type? anyone?)
Both of these had double wishbone suspension at the back, so did the Jaguar MK2 and all jaguars ever after that... The old XKs of the 50s had a solid axle, so had the Mercedes 300SL (Which was a weak point), but anyway...

Pictures from the OP's link...

thumb800x800_2842132645_8b31b39b7a_o.jpg

thumb800x800_2842967336_16d5339c6f_o.jpg

Also a new GT500 is on the way.

Anyway some renderings of the new mustang, with the camo "removed"

thumb800x800_2842137349_527cdb0f33_o.jpg

thumb800x800_2844024506_111d2304f3_o.jpg

I think people are more talking about out of the box advantages, not "well I can fix my new car if I rip it apart" :p

Well compared to the last generation Cobra, few people will "fix my new car" to get it to suit their needs. Like I said the biggest majority of Mustang owners do nothing but drag race there cars. In that case, the IRS (especially the compromised unit that fits in the Mustang) is a liability rather than an asset and would need to be modified to work well without breaking. So I think Ford looks at its customers and sees what they want. I do agree that the car is setup horribly from the factory for cornering, I've driven a GT500 and ridden in a GT and they just wallow like pigs in slow motion.:lol:

Like I said the biggest majority of Mustang owners do nothing but drag race there cars.
No, the vast majority of Mustang owners use it to drive to Chuck E. Cheese with the kids or the supermarket to pick up half a pound of the peppered turkey... There are obvious ride and handling advantages to IRS in everyday situations, as you yourself point out. The fact that the Mustang doesn't have IRS is a serious competitive disadvantage compared to the Challenger or Camaro.

So I think Ford looks at its customers and sees what they want.
I don't think so. IMO, the decision to go with a solid rear axle was made to save money, period.

No, the vast majority of Mustang owners use it to drive to Chuck E. Cheese with the kids or the supermarket to pick up half a pound of the peppered turkey... There are obvious ride and handling advantages to IRS in everyday situations, as you yourself point out. The fact that the Mustang doesn't have IRS is a serious competitive disadvantage compared to the Challenger or Camaro.

The vast majority of Mustang owners don't know the difference between IRS and live-axle, and the majority of that majority wouldn't care even if they did. People buy a Mustang because they either want 1) A Mustang, or 2) A Cheap RWD Sports Car. They don't buy it to drag or autoX, they buy it because they want one and it's not very expensive.

Best shots of the next Mustang Cobra so far!
http://img387.imageshack.**/img387/1203/55031788dr1.jpg
http://img119.imageshack.**/img119/2871/87630590io5.jpg
http://img119.imageshack.**/img119/1369/33951488wg9.jpg