James May: Has James bought a 120Y

gaasc

Desperately looking for a title
Car(s)
3 of them
i was looking at james's column while enjoying some tea and i was particuarly awed when i read this

in fact, you've put some of my favourite cars in this thing, including the Alfa Romeo SZ, you Philistines. Have you looked in the back of your passport recently? You think this is funny looking? And what's with the Datsun 120Y? I've just bought one of those.

i know james is a christian motorist but i didn't saw THAT one coming

It might be for a TG challenge, but if he bought it for real, I suspect he'll defend it in an upcoming column.

There was some sort of race to turn on the blackpool lights?

Eeck. I may drive a Datsun, but the 120Y is pretty dreadful.

Didn't they have a 120Y on the British Leyland Challenge? He could have bought that one from the BBC or at least been inspired by the experience.

Yeeesh. He missed the mark by a long way.

Does he still have that convertible Jag XJS? I love those, Im looking for one myself.

Yeeesh. He missed the mark by a long way.

Does he still have that convertible Jag XJS? I love those, Im looking for one myself.

You mean the Knowles-Wilkins car he used on a wine series with Oz? K-W bought it back, sold it again, and it's up for sale again. It can be yours...

LHP08-800.jpg

Look under "For Sale", first car listed:
http://www.kwengineering.org/kwe_frameset.html

Didn't they have a 120Y on the British Leyland Challenge?
They did.
And they had in the Japan episode sitting in the studio. James described the GT-R as the 'follow-up' to the 120Y.

If memory serves.

I've always liked the Datsun 12Y. Unlike British cars of the period, the Datsun 120Ywas unusual in that it appeared to have been built properly by people who knew what they were doing. Not work-shy communists.

Not even in the most far away corners of the Universe, is there any black, blacker than the interior of a Datsun 120Y.

Maybe James is getting ready for Oz & James' Big Japanese Adventure?

You mean the Knowles-Wilkins car he used on a wine series with Oz? K-W bought it back, sold it again, and it's up for sale again. It can be yours...

im...

Look under "For Sale", first car listed:
http://www.kwengineering.org/kwe_frameset.html

That would be nice, but im in Aus, and i need something that is in Aussie dollars and is in a reasonable state of repair, which might possibly be hoping for too much at the price im looking at. Oh well, hopefully more will spring up.:cool:

The 120Y is a great car. Small, underpowered and rwd, if you had the chance to drive one, Im sure you would agree. Simplicity is a great thing.

I love the 120Y. If I could give James all the +rep in the world for it, I would.

Great choice James, if I were asked to hand in the keys to my E36, in exchange for a 120Y, I'd do so in a heartbeat. No lies.