Can you drive a Manual transmission?

Can you drive a Manual transmission?

• Total voters
I actually enjoying driving, even I dont have a manual car (BUT I WILL). I drove many of my friends manual transmission vehicle and its much more fun than automatic.

I'm shocked at the amount of Automatic drivers! :eek: In the UK everyone learns manual, except if you do an automatic test! (only allowing you to drive automatic cars)

luvcars: A friend who took his license in the US (and had to do it again when he moved back to Sweden) told me about the drivers education system, and to put it this way, it is severely lacking. It's way too easy to get a license and allowing drivers with no training to drive a manually shifted car in traffic is dangerous.

Last edited:
As much as I love manuals, they're becoming obsolete. They use to be more efficient, more economical, and faster. But that's just not the case anymore. New modern automatics are quickly becoming superior to traditional manuals in almost every aspect, besides cost.

luvcars: A friend who took his license in the US (and had to do it again when he moved back to Sweden) told me about the drivers education system, and to put it this way, it is severely lacking. It's way too easy to get a license and allowing drivers with no training to drive a manually shifted car in traffic is dangerous.

ouch, thats pretty awful. :| Thanks for the info, I didn't know that! :D

As much as I love manuals, they're becoming obsolete. They use to be more efficient, more economical, and faster. But that's just not the case anymore. New modern automatics are quickly becoming superior to traditional manuals in almost every aspect, besides cost.

I don't drive a manual for any of those reasons, I drive it for the enjoyment.

Reactions: fbc

QFT. It doesn't matter how more efficient, economical & faster DSG 'boxes etc are - they'll never replace a manual for enjoyment, interaction and satisfaction. Never.

An Automatic has it's uses, but i would be very reluctant to buy one. I might buy a DSG if i was buying something like the Golf GTi, but that's as far as i'll go :)
Playing around with a manual is just so much more fun. And it takes a lot more skill, you can almost always improve on something :p I've only had my license for a year, and i'm often practicising downshifting smoothly for instance. I have been trying to do some heel and toe'ing, but the Suzuki Swift doesn't seem to be made for that kind of thing :p At least i don't bend that way.. :) Might just be me.. :p

QFT. It doesn't matter how more efficient, economical & faster DSG 'boxes etc are - they'll never replace a manual for enjoyment, interaction and satisfaction. Never.

Same here. But not all cars are enjoyable to drive. Sure, a stick could make even a boring car alittle more fun, but the purpose of those cars isn't to have a spirited sporty driving experience. So it makes perfect logical sense that those cars will be almost entirely slush boxes.

There seem to be very few sports cars that are designed solely for the incredible driving experience. Most modern sports cars are simply designed to be fast, no matter what that means for the driver. That's how we end up with cars like the Nissan GT-R. Car companies try and make the car as fast as possible, sacrificing the visceral experience, and then try to make the car as comfortable as possible, further sacrificing the driving experience.

Learned to drive with a manual, but living in the city I can definitely appreciate that there are times when automatic is better.

I have a manual, always had. But my bro had an automatic driven BMW Touring once. It is fun to drive though, but i think manual is the 'real' driving...

Funny question somehow from my perspective. I don't know hardly anybody who has got or ever had a automatic gearbox. Thats really rare here.

Well okey now with the new DSG gearboxes in VW/Audi it's increasing at the moment i think, but a real automatic... and thinking 3-4 years back mh no one...

At least in cars where automatic is an optional extra. Of course you can not get a bigger Mercedes E/S-Class with manual transmission.

Well okey now with the new DSG gearboxes in VW/Audi it's increasing at the moment i think, but a real automatic... and thinking 3-4 years back mh no one...

Yeah, they don't really count. The best automatics are on American cars - they like to upshift and downshift several times right in the middle of a corner. Oh joy!

I don't think i'll ever own another automatic car besides the beater I have now, they tear up more often and are more difficult to diagnose when something does go wrong.

Plus you can get better fuel economy driving a manual.

Yeah, they don't really count. The best automatics are on American cars - they like to upshift and downshift several times right in the middle of a corner. Oh joy!

Even on an American auto box, "hunting" like that is a sign of a malfunction.

The typical behavior for a good condition traditional American slushbox is holding the gear it's in and/or downshifting late.

Even on an American auto box, "hunting" like that is a sign of a malfunction.

The typical behavior for a good condition traditional American slushbox is holding the gear it's in and/or downshifting late.

Yup, I have a typical american slushbox, and it doesn't "hunt" like that. It will however never shift when I want to and to make it kick down you have to really prod deep with the pedal.