Honda unveils the new Hybrid Insight. Welcome to 1999.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/11/honda-unveils-a-hybrid/?hp

Next year Honda and Toyota will go head-to-head with new flagship gas-electric hybrid cars. We all know what to expect from Toyota; its Prius is the best-selling hybrid to date, with over 180,000 sold in 2007 alone. The next-generation model will likely be better and more efficient.
Honda will counter the Prius with its new Insight ? a five-door hatchback named after Honda?s first hybrid, discontinued in 2006 ? which will be unveiled next month at the Paris Motor Show.

533-Honda-Insight.jpg

The Insight is labeled a concept car, but in photos recently released by Honda it looks very close to a production model, with bits and pieces taken from the FCX Clarity fuel cell vehicle.
It is a five-door with room for five. The Insight features an improved Integrated Motor Assist system that relies less on the gasoline engine. The hybrid control unit and battery pack are located beneath the trunk, which allows for a lower center of gravity and greater interior space.
Honda expects to make the Insight the most affordable hybrid vehicle to date when it goes on sale early next year, around the same time the next-generation Toyota Prius goes on sale. Considering the heated competition, prices for both models could drop well below the $20,000 mark.
According to Auto Observer, Takeo Fukui, Honda?s chief executive, said in May that Honda plans on creating a family of hybrids, including a small sporty three-door hybrid based on the CR-Z concept and a hybrid version of the Fit.

109-toyota-prius.jpg

533-Honda-Insight.jpg

I guess they weren't low on tracing paper at Honda. The original insight was cool...this isn't.

Welcome to 1999? What does that mean? When Ford releases a new Mustang should I say "Welcome to 1964"? It's a continuation of the old model, no?

Well, next time you should post the news first so you can write the thread titles.

109-toyota-prius.jpg

533-Honda-Insight.jpg

I guess they weren't low on tracing paper at Honda. The original insight was cool...this isn't.

The Kamm tail is a commonly used aero trick for low. Using it doesn't make you a copycat.

By that token, all F1 cars are done up by tracing paper since they all tend to have wings in about the same general place, engines in the same general place, etc.

The Kamm tail is a commonly used aero trick for low. Using it doesn't make you a copycat.

By that token, all F1 cars are done up by tracing paper since they all tend to have wings in about the same general place, engines in the same general place, etc.

There is some similarity in size that makes them look close to each other. Though the original Insight was expensive compared to other compact cars, it weighed less than 2,000lbs and probably would have gotten very good mileage even if it wasn't a hybrid. I liked that one because you could tell they were just trying to squeeze out every last mpg possible. This new one just seems like Honda's version of the Prius.

The Chevy Volt has that same general shape too. It's just aerodynamic ... ugly, but aerodynamic.

I want to see something completely ridiculous and radical. Like a tear-drop with wheels. Uncompromised aerodynamics. :cool:

fun fact: The Toyota Prius has a drag coefficient of 0.26, the Honda Civic Hybrid has a drag coefficient of 0.27. The difference is negligable.

TAKE THAT FUGLY DESIGN! Although I'm a bit confused about that, because the regular Civic apparently has a coefficient 0.31, and I swear to god it's exactly the same other than the puketastic wheels on the hybrid. Also, the Lexus IS is up (or should I say down?) there with the aerodynamics of these hybrids at 0.28, and it's a sexy thang.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_drag_coefficients

Also tear drop shape with wheels: it's been done. The most recent one is this thing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aptera_Motors

I hate these company's marketing departments! Why should only boring middle-aged men with big families drive hybrids? Why not make a version that's a small 2 door hatchback, that's purely a commuter car.
Or they could make a performance Hybrid. Again a small 2 door hatchback with rear wheel drive, with a Turbocharged 4 cylinder (when you want to do some trashing) and the hybrid engine for the daily commute.

The torque of the electric motor would eliminate the need of a turbo charger. Again, a quirky small two seater high MPG hybrid has been made before, and we all know how well that thing sold... I think it's stupid for a hybrid to have a RWD layout, as it compromises space and economy.

799px-HondaInsight.jpg

fun fact: The Toyota Prius has a drag coefficient of 0.26, the Honda Civic Hybrid has a drag coefficient of 0.27. The difference is negligable.

TAKE THAT FUGLY DESIGN! Although I'm a bit confused about that, because the regular Civic apparently has a coefficient 0.31, and I swear to god it's exactly the same other than the puketastic wheels on the hybrid. Also, the Lexus IS is up (or should I say down?) there with the aerodynamics of these hybrids at 0.28, and it's a sexy thang.

Also tear drop shape with wheels: it's been done. The most recent one is this thing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aptera_Motors

There is a bit more to drag than just the cF. You also have consider frontal area; the more you have, the more drag you have.

See, the Aptera is really cool because its just so ridiculous. If you drive a Prius, you just look like somebody trying to fit in with the 'new' crowd, or whatever. If you are going to hypermile, go hardcore or go home. :D

Also, the Lexus IS is up (or should I say down?) there with the aerodynamics of these hybrids at 0.28, and it's a sexy thang

:mrgreen:

Well, I did pretty much win the Post Your Drag Coefficient thread. :p

As for this car, it looks nothing like the Prius other than the hump in the roof... people are so quick to hate just because it's a 'green' car. If anything, that car looks a lot like the new NA Civic sedan... which reminds me, doesn't that already come as a hybrid?

Original Insight was way cooler looking than this, which looks like an FCX clarity front end grafted onto a prius.

:mrgreen:

Well, I did pretty much win the Post Your Drag Coefficient thread. :p

As for this car, it looks nothing like the Prius other than the hump in the roof... people are so quick to hate just because it's a 'green' car. If anything, that car looks a lot like the new NA Civic sedan... which reminds me, doesn't that already come as a hybrid?

I don't think Honda is going to make a hybrid version of the Accord this time around and are instead working on this new Insight. The new Insight looks like it's a bit bigger than the Civic, so in the very least there might be a size difference between the two.

109-toyota-prius.jpg

533-Honda-Insight.jpg

I don't see why that is a popular shape.... If your gonna trace something, trace something good looking... Like an Audi A5/S5...

IIRC the new GT-R is something like .27. Modern sports cars, even with their downforce generating wings, seem to stay at or below .34. Of course most of them are all pretty wide.

The Cd figure itself is useless, as it also depends on the surface area which come into contact with the air as well.

A range rover could have a lower Cd figure than, say, a ford fiesta, but its much larger surface area will mean it experiences more drag.