Random Thoughts....

^http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawarma
Yes, I've gotten the taste for Iranian foods from my Iranian friends.
Great thing about Toronto is there's all sorts of cultures here and people from all over the world, so you can find very good restaurants with an international variety just about anywhere. If there's one thing that's good about Toronto it's the food.

BTW, anyone else sleep very short after drinking? I got home around 5, and now I'm up again (it's ten thirty here) - if I slept that little during the week I'd be struggling to even think about getting out of bed.

Yeah <_< Was at a birthdayparty yesteday, slept 4 hrs and I've been bloody tired all day, and I've got a meeting at work at 8 tomorrow :(

A lot of asians seem to have anglicized secondary names for some reason when communicating with westerners.

A lot of asians seem to have anglicized secondary names for some reason when communicating with westerners.

Yeah, we do....it's just too painful to hear our real name slaughtered every time someone tries to pronounce it.

Yeah, we do....it's just too painful to hear our real name slaughtered every time someone tries to pronounce it.

When I had mandarin lessons it was really hard to remember both the "real" name and the "brazillian" name of my teacher and her family. :lol:
Happily my pronunciation was good enough so we stopped using the brazillian names.:mrgreen:

You forgot ding and crash.

...it's just too painful to hear our real name slaughtered every time someone tries to pronounce it.

Yes, same here. Everyone knows me as Shawn, except for my parents. What really ticks me off though, is English speakers never even try to pronounce our names properly. I know, I have a 'white' friend who always mispronounces foreign names just to be funny. Let's face it, if they really tried they would probably succeed at trying most foreign names.

I probably would have stuck to my real name if I arrived out here as an adult, but I was really young and at that stage having a weird name would just be too painful, seeing as how foreign kids are bullied even if they're just named Bill or Bob.

On another note, anyone else get repped cyclically? I go weeks without one, then get a bunch for different posts in one day. Well, in this case I think it's just because a few people liked my new avatar... by the way, for those who asked, my avatar is indeed of Onslow from Keeping Up Appearances. I love britcoms.

Yes, same here. Everyone knows me as Shawn, except for my parents. What really ticks me off though, is English speakers never even try to pronounce our names properly. I know, I have a 'white' friend who always mispronounces foreign names just to be funny. Let's face it, if they really tried they would probably succeed at trying most foreign names.

I probably would have stuck to my real name if I arrived out here as an adult, but I was really young and at that stage having a weird name would just be too painful, seeing as how foreign kids are bullied even if they're just named Bill or Bob.

On another note, anyone else get repped cyclically? I go weeks without one, then get a bunch for different posts in one day. Well, in this case I think it's just because a few people liked my new avatar... by the way, for those who asked, my avatar is indeed of Onslow from Keeping Up Appearances. I love britcoms.

My firstname is Stuart and it seems quite difficult for people from other languages to pronounce (chinese in perticular seem to have difficulty - i've had people give up half way through :( ) I'll try and pronounce someones name if I think I can and then process to apologise about my poor pronounciation. Mind you I also don't perticularly like the way alot of Americans pronounce my name (it doens't seem that common either, hardly any novelty mugs with my name on it when I was in America :p) it comes out as Stewwert when it should be more like stu-art

So, I have this bowl of change on my desk, and I decided to count it and all of the pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters came out to exactly 16USD :blink:

I have probably about that much as well. I take a handful at a time to my car and use it when I stop for little things, there's no point keeping them.

I really wish we could do away with pennies at least. Are they necessary for keeping the economy running somehow? Because they're rather annoying.

Yes, but don't you find it odd that it came out to an exact even number?

http://img139.imageshack.**/img139/5992/dscf0169sg2.jpg
http://img139.imageshack.**/img139/dscf0169sg2.jpg/1/w1280.png

Proof.

I have probably about that much as well. I take a handful at a time to my car and use it when I stop for little things, there's no point keeping them.

I really wish we could do away with pennies at least. Are they necessary for keeping the economy running somehow? Because they're rather annoying.

The oldman mobile has a coin hole that i store coins in for parking, it has like the best soundproofing in the car because you can't hear them rattling around.

My school has decided that there is to be a "compulsory leadership and personal development program", we have a choice of the tri-service cadets, scouts or community service.

My question to those of you who have been involved in one of the cadets is that if there is any of the stereotypical harsh military discipline techniques or is basically just like scouts except more adventurous.

If it's any help, I'm planning on going for the Air Cadets.