2008 Canadian General Election (October 14)

The whole "do you think it's easy" thing is hysterical! :lol:

Anyway, as usual, it's a choice of the least worst. Dion is a spineless moron, Layton is a tree-hugger and the other parties are all irrelevant anyway.

What did I say about nobody caring about Canadian politics? That Sarah Palin thread by itself garners dozens of posts per day. :p

Anybody still following the election? It's been surprisingly up and down... I think so far Harper has shown how calculating and conniving he can be, Dion has shown he's inept and gives me a vibe similar to John Kerry, and Layton has shown the NDP are just there to cleanup on whatever votes the Liberals and Tories lose.

I found out one of my professors from UBC is running in this election, and in fact running in my electoral riding. Funnily enough he's also an NDP, so that makes my choice quite easy.

Got my voter registration card in the mail today, wooohooo!

The whole "do you think it's easy" thing is hysterical! :lol:

Anyway, as usual, it's a choice of the least worst. Dion is a spineless moron, Layton is a tree-hugger and the other parties are all irrelevant anyway.

Wait, the party in power is irrelevant?

Seriously, the Conservatives have done nothing good for me during their term. Sure, they delivered on their promises, which include nothing of what I wanted. Thus, I find them useless.
I'm still pissed off at the Liberals for betraying me. I don't like Dion, he sounds like a waste of a good parliament seat. Green party just purely sucks (why do they get seats in parliament anyway?). Oh, and there's no way I'm voting for the Bloc.

So it's Jack Layton for me. He's the only sane guy of the bunch who wants to answer my concerns and take Canada where I'd want to see it right now.

So it's Jack Layton for me. He's the only sane guy of the bunch who wants to answer my concerns and take Canada where I'd want to see it right now.
Like they have a chance anyway.

I'll be going to the local candidates conference and making my decision from there.

Green party just purely sucks (why do they get seats in parliament anyway?). Oh, and there's no way I'm voting for the Bloc.

The Green Party only got their first seat in parliament a few months ago when the MP from West Vancouver-Sunshine Coast switched from the Liberals to the Greens and thus transferred his seat. I doubt they will win any seats in October, not even the one they already have... West Van is pretty conservative for obvious reasons.

And how could you vote for the Bloc anyway? They only field candidates in Quebec... and they too will probably do horribly this election. Separatist sentiments are weak these days... and Gilles Duceppe is the longest serving of all the party leaders, I think we've all had enough.

I'll be going to the local candidates conference and making my decision from there.

It's not about who has a chance at filling the PM's office... first of all, if everyone thought like you then parties like the NDP will have no chance.

Second of all, you might be surprised... over the last 20 years, both the Bloc and Canadian Alliance (mostly western party) have been the official opposition. So if say you really like the NDP, go ahead and vote for them. Jack won't be Prime Minister this year if ever, but the more votes they get the more seats they'll win and the more influence they'll be able to exert on Harper or Dion's governments.

And I agree that Layton should shave off his mustache. I think he has it to appeal to more blue collar families, but it just makes him look like the Video Professor from TV:

videoprofpic.jpg

The point is having more MPs from their side, not who is Prime Minister. The Prime Minister can't do much without the MPs approving.

The Green Party only got their first seat in parliament a few months ago when the MP from West Vancouver-Sunshine Coast switched from the Liberals to the Greens and thus transferred his seat. I doubt they will win any seats in October, not even the one they already have... West Van is pretty conservative for obvious reasons.
Oh, so that's what it was... Didn't pay too much attention to the news as soon as they mentioned the words "Green Party".

And how could you vote for the Bloc anyway? They only field candidates in Quebec... and they too will probably do horribly this election. Separatist sentiments are weak these days... and Gilles Duceppe is the longest serving of all the party leaders, I think we've all had enough.
What I meant was I'd never vote for them, even if I could.

Seriously, the Conservatives have done nothing good for me during their term. Sure, they delivered on their promises, which include nothing of what I wanted. Thus, I find them useless.
I'm still pissed off at the Liberals for betraying me. I don't like Dion, he sounds like a waste of a good parliament seat. Green party just purely sucks (why do they get seats in parliament anyway?). Oh, and there's no way I'm voting for the Bloc.

So cutting the GST hasn't done anything good for you? If I may ask, what exactly do you want that the conservatives haven't provided?

It was the Conservatives who brought in the GST to begin with, I'm not going to vote for them just because they partially undid their own doing.

What bothers me most about Harper is his seeming insincerity. Yes, all politicians are probably like that but they at least try to project a friendly image. The only thing Harper is doing to seem friendly is wearing inappropriate sweaters during this campaign... he still comes across as a controlling, fierce leader.

Harper hasn't disappointed me too badly during this last government, I have to be honest, but is that all we strive for? I would actually like to see Ottawa start tackling some of the more important issues domestically and restore Canada's international image. Sure, they couldn't do much in a minority government, but the Conservatives still seem concerned first and foremost with serving their own interests.

It was the Conservatives who brought in the GST to begin with, I'm not going to vote for them just because they partially undid their own doing.

The Liberals were elected into power shortly thereafter, and getting rid of the GST was one of their key platform promises. They never did, so I'd call that one even.

What bothers me most about Harper is his seeming insincerity. Yes, all politicians are probably like that but they at least try to project a friendly image. The only thing Harper is doing to seem friendly is wearing inappropriate sweaters during this campaign... he still comes across as a controlling, fierce leader.

I'd rather have a strong, competent leader than a pandering weak one.

Harper hasn't disappointed me too badly during this last government, I have to be honest, but is that all we strive for? I would actually like to see Ottawa start tackling some of the more important issues domestically and restore Canada's international image. Sure, they couldn't do much in a minority government, but the Conservatives still seem concerned first and foremost with serving their own interests.

The Conservative government's key tasks of late have been rooting out the last areas of Liberal corruption and scandals and promoting more government accountability. I say we need to clean up our own internal messes before we go trying to project an "image" to the world.

Unrelated...... virtually.

Ok, so i land in Vancouver on the morning of October 13th.....my first trip, until 16th. I presume the 14th is not a holiday to go off to vote? Some countries make it a public holiday and some don't. I heard there is a possibility 13th is a public holiday, for Thanksgiving?

Wondering if i really picked the best week for a visit and some work.

The two reasons I'm not voting Conservative are that this tool bag, Jim Prentice, is my M.P. and the Libertarian party is actually running a candidate in my riding.

Unrelated...... virtually.

Ok, so i land in Vancouver on the morning of October 13th.....my first trip, until 16th. I presume the 14th is not a holiday to go off to vote? Some countries make it a public holiday and some don't. I heard there is a possibility 13th is a public holiday, for Thanksgiving?

Wondering if i really picked the best week for a visit and some work.

I don't think you'll be affected, October 14th is just a normal workday.

Canada's Thanksgiving is on October 13th this year, and it's a statutory holiday... but again I don't think you'll be affected. Other than Christmas and January 1st, the country doesn't really grind to a halt just because of a holiday.

Anybody know where I can find the Conservative platform? It is not readily available on their site unlike their competitors.

Canada's Thanksgiving is on October 13th this year, and it's a statutory holiday... but again I don't think you'll be affected. Other than Christmas and January 1st, the country doesn't really grind to a halt just because of a holiday.

Thanks, let i'll wait and see. Not doing anything on Monday would be a waste but i'm sure i'm not far from a bar. :D

^ Where are you staying? I might be able to recommend some good spots if you're a virgin to Vancouver.

^ Where are you staying? I might be able to recommend some good spots if you're a virgin to Vancouver.

As far as i think i know, i am staying in the Sheraton in Surrey.