Your favourite racing-related quotes

Gianni Morbidelli describes his drive to 3rd place in Adelaide 1995:

"There was a terrible smell all over my car because of the oil from Olivier (Panis)'s car... and for all the race I was thinking <<What is this (makes a horrible-smell face) smell??? Where is it from? Come on, engine! Come on, come on!>> I did my last 20 laps saying <<Come on, another one, another one!>> but the smell was from him, so this was my problem in the end..."

Damon Hill, same press conference:

"Gerhard dropped out, Michael dropped out, David dropped out, Johnny dropped out... it was ridiculous! I mean... this is a country famous for flies, and they were dropping out like them!"

Nigel Mansell:
"It's amazing how you can drive a F1 car with no hands when you've just won a Grand Prix."

I was just watching the 1985 season review, where that came from. For the uninitiated, that was at Brands Hatch when Nige had just won his first race.

Incidentally, vikirad, where are your quotes from the 90s coming from??Are they the season reviews as well or do you have a stash of old VHS tapes of the races themselves?

I'm going to take a look at the 1994 & 1995 reviews and see if they are. Especially that John Watson gem about the brakes.

Incidentally, vikirad, where are your quotes from the 90s coming from??Are they the season reviews as well or do you have a stash of old VHS tapes of the races themselves?

Most of them from season reviews. John Watson's line about the brakes was live in the 1995 Argentine GP. But I haven't got VHS tapes, of course... :lol:

If I had the money and if I were living in the UK, I would buy them happily. But I don't have the possibility yet, so RU FTW at the moment. And as soon as a good line pops up, I just keep it in mind and find a good moment to post it here.

And especially the '82, '84 and '86 season reviews have quite a collection of good lines, since they're narrated by Clive James.

Last edited:
Most of them from season reviews. John Watson's line about the brakes was live in the 1995 Argentine GP. But I haven't got VHS tapes, of course...
Wait a minute. You'd have been three or four when that race aired...

If I had the money and if I were living in the UK, I would buy them happily. But I don't have the possibility yet, so RU FTW at the moment.
...so what's this RU, eh? Is that where you get the races from?

And especially the '82, '84 and '86 season reviews have quite a collection of good lines, since they're narrated by Clive James.
Why'd they drop him for the years in between, anyway? In '85 we had Nige droning monotonically over his first win, and in '83...

"BRIIIIIIIIIIAN! YOU WANNANOTHER CUP O'CAWWFEE?"

That's what mute buttons are for. Even Briiiiiiiiian was getting pissed off with her long before the end of the video.

Why'd they drop him for the years in between, anyway? In '85 we had Nige droning monotonically over his first win, and in '83...

I think they wanted something different for each next year, and it didn't work, and they went back to Clive for the following year. Then an old man for '87, and then three years of Tony Jardine.

Oh yes, and RU is this thing.

Last edited:
I think they wanted something different for each next year, and it didn't work, and they went back to Clive for the following year. Then an old man for '87,
Peter Ustinov, for the uninitiated - musing about how we might get an East German Grand Prix...

and then three years of Tony Jardine.
...doing his Clive James impressions. By the time he'd finished the Berlin Wall was no more.

I would mention Nicolae Ceau?escu, but you weren't even born when he was on the throne. I'll bet your old folks have a few stories to tell.

Oh yes, and RU is this thing.
You just earned yourself a hatful of internet points for that one. I will investigate!

"If you see the blue and yellow flag, that means there's a race going on and you're not in it!" ~ Jeff Sackowitz, my racing instructor.

Of the season reviews currently on my PC, the 1986 one ("All Over Down Under") is probably the best, in my view. Clive James narrates it, of course. And it actually made it on IMDb.

Another gem from it:

"Rosberg's car blew up with the strain of trying to reconcile its delicate mechanical requirements with the weight of the Finnish foot."

And Clive's end line...

"Everything has to change, but everything stays the same... the race for the Grand Prize never stops!"

Last edited:
"Rosberg's car blew up with the strain of trying to reconcile its delicate mechanical requirements with the weight of the Finnish foot."
Heh... there were several lines like that one lampooning Keke's tendency to use a bucketload more fuel than everyone else.

Which was the video where Clive suggested they put a hole in his helmet so he could have a crafty fag during pit stops?

Which was the video where Clive suggested they put a hole in his helmet so he could have a crafty fag during pit stops?

Same one. It was during the Belgian GP highlights:

"Rosberg headed for the slip road and retired... probably because of nicotine starvation. They had still not given him a helmet with a little hole in it."

And there was a tiny dying trail of smoke (or maybe steam) from the TAG engine as he pulled off.

Oh, and there was a similar line during the images of a Williams pitstop at Zolder, in the 1984 review.

Last edited:
The worst case of a team manager being proven wrong...

Peter Warr, about Mansell, at the end of '84:

"He'll never win a Grand Prix as long as I've got a hole in my arse."

Sure enough, Mansell went on to win 31 races and a World Championship.

Clive James had to talk about three deaths while narrating F1 season reviews.

Gilles Villeneuve...

"He was a poet of a driver, a star of the sport, and his loss was a hard way to be reminded that the higher the excitement, the higher the price."

Talking about Riccardo Paletti's fatal accident:

"Saying what should have happened is a means of keeping busy while you watch helpless."

And Elio de Angelis...

"Unable to help being handsome and rich, he made up for it by being a wonderful driver as well, as his future career would surely have approved further. But the law of averages had not picked him to make its presence felt.

Everyone in the Grand Prix circus knows that a racing driver chooses his life on the understanding that death might choose him, but it still hurts when it happens."

"I was having a sh**"
- Kimi R?ikk?nen

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HHUkHbgAtM[/youtube]

:lol:

I see your Kimi and raise you a Juan Pablo Montoya...
(WARNING: does have some pretty strong swears, so be warned...wait, I said that already, right?)

[YOUTUBE]iEfme0UnsWM[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
For a change, something from classic rallying...

"How is it going?"
"Not very well, we can't find any roads!"
- Roger Clark on the conditions in 1971 RAC Rally during which, especially on the northern parts of the route, would not have looked out of place in Rally Sweden.

"The car went very slowly off the road, we got to the edge of it, it stopped and then sort of toppled over slowly. It was sort of a gentle roll, we were having conversation as we went down. Mike said something about 'this looks serious' and I said 'I think it's the end'..."
- Tony Fall describes how he took himself out of the 1971 RAC rally.

"Racing driver only has to go round a little piece of tarmac for a few minutes, rally drivers are going on for few days at a time, he's got to go all the time."
- Henry Liddon

I think i should have put Kimis quotes in here

Montoya?s success in NASCAR?- It doesn?t even interest me. :lol:

Will these tyres benefit your driving style? - I don?t know and it doesn?t mean anything to me. Tyres are what they are.

What advice would you give to the rookies Nico Rosberg and Scott Speed? - I hope that they are good in giving way. :lol:

Do you think that the speed is good at this point? - It doesn?t matter how much behind the others we are at this point. The car will anyway be rebuilt before Australia. Now we just drive around.

Media?s interest in Kimi after the WC? - They have thrown a lot of xxxx on me but I think that I?ll get even more of it now.

Schumacher?s role : - He doesn?t come and tell us drivers anything. And at least I don?t need his advice. :lol:

Montoya?s points: - If he believes in it, he can believe. I?m not interested in what happens behind me. :lol:

Gossip Media asks how are you prepared for the season? - I usually get to read from your magazines what I have done.

Montoya?s tennis accident: - We don?t call and I?m not interested in what he does. :lol:

?If the army would be volunteer I wouldn?t go there - Kimi about women in army

Austria 2002: - I haven seen it. I?m not the least bit interested in what Ferrari did.

Alonso teasing Kimi. - I couldn?t care less what the man is thinking.

Weather conditions: - It?s all the same if it rains or not.

Season 2006: - It doesn?t interest me yet what is going to happen. You?ll see it then.

An Italian interviewer tries to get Kimi to say something in Italian. - You can talk Italian if you want to.

Ferrari event 2007: - I?m not going to a language school to learn Italian, that?s not what I came to do at Ferrari.

Kimi, what?s the 5th grid place like? - It's the 5th grid place. :lol:

Ferrari party: - Ferrari?s own partys are the best one. I don?t know exactly what I will do there. Maybe I?m Santa Claus. :lol:

Party at the President?s castle: - Someone else will have to dance with her (Jenni).

Party at the President?s castle: - Ah, go and interview Mikko Leppilampi. He likes to talk.

Kimi, what is your feeeling before the race? - It?s allright. :lol:

French GP 2002: - xxxx race. :lol:

Hungarian GP 2007: - Boring race. :lol:

OHO!-magazine number 46/2006: - I read somewhere that I drive with the luck of a drunk. :lol:

Opinion of Ron Dennis: - He?s strange now and then. He always wants to know everything. He doesn?t interest me. :lol:

- My life would be much more easier had I been a f1-driver in the 70?s with the guys. I was definitely born in the wrong era.

What makes TAG Heuer special? - It?s ok. :lol:

Kimi, you speak a little bit? - Yeah, one two.. three.. :lol:

What kind of an atmosphere do you think McLaren has right now (the spy saga)? - I bet it?s fxcking great. :lmao:

- The Constructor?s Championship doesn?t really mean anything to me.

- I?m not interested in what Jackie says. He hasn?t got anything to do with me.

- Coulthard can say what he wants. I?m not interested in what he?s saying.

- I don?t give a damn about what Trulli says. :lol:

- Montoya?s comments doesn?t interest me. :lol:

- It doesn?t matter what he says. (Kimi about Hamilton?s defences after Canada GP) :lol:

- I?ve seen him (Schumacher) twice: when the car was displayed and in one testing he came to but I left almost immediately after that.

- You don?t drive races on paper.

- Driving is the only thing I love about f1.

- If there?s a red light when you leave the pitlane you have to stop. Then some wooden eye (Hamilton) crashes into you and breakes the car.
:lmao:
- What the papers write about me afterwards makes me laugh.

- Formula 1 would be a paradise without the media.

- I?m not interested in what people think about me. I?m not Michael Schumacher. :lol:

- The circuit broke totally. Every year same thing happens. They promise to fix it. They probably should hire the guys from Lemmink?inen (Finnish asphalt company) to fix it.

How does it feels to drive at 300 km/h? - ?It feels normal? :blink:

Your idols? - There aren?t any.

What kind of a relationship do you have with Peter Sauber? - He is my boss.

Is he a father figure or a god father? - He is my boss. :lol:

The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you? - It protects my head. :lmao:

Do you have any special rituals when the helmet is concerned like many have? - I wipe it so that I can see better. :lmao:

What would you if you met an alien, run away out of fear or try to talk to him? - The problem won?t arise so I don?t imagine meeting one.

What do you have to do to become one of your friends? - I?ve got my friends and that?s enough. I?m not on the lookout for new ones.

Martin Brundle?s gridwalk Brazil 2006:
Martin: ?Kimi Raikkonen doesn?t seem interested in the proceedings going on up there. Kimi, you missed the presentation by Pele.?
Kimi (nonchalantly): ?Yeah.?
Martin: ?Will you get over it??
Kimi: ?Yeah. I was having a shit.?
Martin: ?OK, thanks for that! Obviously you?ll have a nice light car on the grid, then.?