b_tapper

Car(s)
'87 E30 BMW 325, '08 Scion xB, '08 Scion xD
09suzwagrsting_04.jpg

09suzwagrsting_05.jpg

09suzwagrsting_06.jpg

09suzwagrsting_07.jpg

09suzwagrsting_08.jpg

As of today, Suzuki has a new Wagon R on the market in Japan. It's joined by a new Wagon R Stingray variant (above) as well, and the duo will set about filling the shoes of their bestselling predecessors. The new Wagon Rs don't lose their signature boxiness, but they wear all-new sheetmetal and sit on a longer wheelbase. The standard Wagon R gets a friendly face with large, tall headlamps, while the sportier-themed Wagon R Stingray gets a chrome grille strip that runs between its thinner, horizontal lamps.

The rest follows the standard kei-car formula. Darker, more masculine colors characterize the Stingray, while the Wagon R clearly includes women in its target audience, sporting a color palette loaded with the lighter solids and pastels. Normally-aspirated and turbocharged 660cc engines are offered, mated to either 4- or 5-speed automatics or a CVT, depending on trim level. The turbocharged Stingray with CVT even gets paddle shifters to give drivers complete control over the 64 ponies corraled underhood. A snazzier, dark interior with some nifty lighting is also available in the Stingray.

Suzuki hopes to sell 18,000 new Wagon Rs every month, and if the previous generation showed us anything, we can expect to see a variety of spinoff models over time.

For some reason I really, really want one of these. Now if only Suzuki would sell me one here.

That looks funky. There are alot more hideous cars on the road that's for sure.
But the name... for that reason alone it should be burnt to hell.

When i read the Thread title i though it'd be another uggo box but this is actually pretty cool, no more pointing at elderly people in Wagon R+ 's

That's amazing. Such a funky little car!

You say "Stingray" and I think either of some of the most beautiful Corvettes ever made or a graceful, elegant, sea creature.

What I do not expect to see is a boxy economy car - trendy or not.

Yes that is very OK, not 'brilliant', but what do you want for an nice 4 seat econobox?

Nice interior and suzuki in a quirky way make OK cars.

Oy, Suzuki, you appear to have forgotten something.... you're missing a wedge at the top front for it to be a full rectangular prism.... I say either go the whole hog, or stay home.

You say "Stingray" and I think either of some of the most beautiful Corvettes ever made or a graceful, elegant, sea creature.

What I do not expect to see is a boxy economy car - trendy or not.

But it'd look great with the Irwin family behind the wheel.

(too soon?)

Looks very similar to the 2nd gen Scion xB (Daihatsu Materia). Is this much smaller?

It's like 3/4 scale of an xB. I've seen these through Asia, and think they are great. A truly neat little commuter pod type car. I'd love to see it in the US.

Steve

I like the cluster.

i remember putting a 1000hp engine into these cars in old racing games just cause they're so light it gives an insane pwr/weight ratio.

I'm underwhelmed. Its hard to make a tiny box look much different form all of the other tiny boxes.

Very cute and funky modern looking mini MPV. Theres another car that we won't be getting here. Nope, rebadged Daewoos are good enough for us...

I think it looks cool inside and out, but kinda also looks like a roll-over waiting to happen :(

It makes sense in Japan and nowhere else. It's just so meh. Of course if all pickups would be replaced I'd be a happy camper, this one is actually useful for stuff.