Canadian politics: Funny Liberal ad about the culture

Quake

The liberal released a funny Here's a funny ad talking about the culture budget cuts the Conservatives are willing to make.

EDIT: Sorry. I thought it was a liberal ad but it wasn't, here's where I found the video http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/3393/125/

Here's the long ad version, the short version is below. You'll have to enable the English captions:
[youtube]http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=q3zBPnIYavI[/youtube]

Here's the short version, enable the English caption:
[YOUTUBE]http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhgv85m852Q[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I didn't really find it all that funny, but maybe I don't understand French culture. Must be all the cutbacks? :D

Don't really see where they are coming from. The Francophones seem to have a strong culture and identity to this day. Plus none of the other minorities in Canada complain. All the Asians, Middle Easterners, Europeans and other minorities who live in Canada are just happy to be in a peaceful, friendly nation. The French already have cultural supremacy in Quebec, I really don't see a reason for the continued nagging.

And here I thought that Canadian culture could be summed up with reruns of "The Tournament".

"Anglophone guy, Francophone guy" is Canada's version of Hollywood's "White guy, Black guy", only a lot funnier :lol:

You're sure that's a Liberal ad? Looks more like a "we're Quebec, we're special and no one understands us" ad.

I thought all Canadians were required to take French, regardless of which province they were in?

I thought all Canadians were required to take French, regardless of which province they were in?
It's optional in high school, I'm not sure about elementary school.

As epp_b said, it's only in elementary. But I have to say that most English people I know said their French course wasn't useful at all and at the end, could only speak a few phrases.

The west is worse since they don't need French. Quebec is so far away that French seems useless... unless you want a job at the federal government.

And sorry, it's not a Liberal ad, I wish I could change the thread title.

As epp_b said, it's only in elementary. But I have to say that most English people I know said their French course wasn't useful at all and at the end, could only speak a few phrases.
I think I can say "Can I go to the bathroom", and that's about it.

Is this really resonant with Canadians? How odd. Er why are there US flags hung up?
To show how "Uncanadian" they are. Calling someone Uncanadian is a big insult in politics here, though it's usually cheapshot to get someone to swing your way.

The easiest way to call someone Uncanadian is to call them an American.

"Anglophone guy, Francophone guy" is Canada's version of Hollywood's "White guy, Black guy", only a lot funnier :lol:

You're sure that's a Liberal ad? Looks more like a "we're Quebec, we're special and no one understands us" ad.
I bet it's a Bloc Quebecois ad.

It's optional in high school, I'm not sure about elementary school.
Not in my school district ... you have to take at least 1 course in French these days, mandatory for graduation. Mind you, you won't learn that much from just one course, if you learn anything.

Is this really resonant with Canadians? How odd. Er why are there US flags hung up?

It's a satire. They're trying to make fun of Harper and want to make him look like he's become so conservative that he's siding with the US and trying to turn Canada into a cultural melting pot rather than a cuturally diverse country where we have only one language and everyone has the same customs.

EDIT:
I think I can say "Can I go to the bathroom", and that's about it.
Luckily I can say more than that. Even though I'm seriously out of practice, I can understand French quite well and I can speak a bit. But you know why that is? Because I've been studying French intensively in school from grades 1-8 and I've had very good teachers. And guess what? I only took one course of French in Canada: The required grade 9 course. Aced it, it was that easy.

I learned better French in Romania than they teach in Canada. I learned French in a country with a different official language better than I've learned it here. So, there you go. Seriously, it's pathetic, we need more French language courses in Ontario schools.

And I seriously need to do some practice on my French.

The easiest way to call someone Uncanadian is to call them an American.
True that.

Last edited:

Mandatory until Grade 10. After that you have the option for Spanish, Italian, and whatnot.

Mandatory until Grade 10. After that you have the option for Spanish, Italian, and whatnot.

Depends where you go to school, I've never taken a French course in my life.

^ I have always wondered how something like cowboy culture can flourish somewhere so cold.

But I think it's an Alberta thing, because even over here in BC, French is mandatory up until grade 8. Yes, even though the French are probably much smaller than the Chinese, Indian, Iranian and other minorities in BC we still have to study French.

And they still complain... I think they are just still bitter from the Seven Years' War.