Help diagnose the integra

Eunos_Cosmo

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'84 Mazda RX7, '12 Mazda 2, '99 Porsche Boxster
I have a problem with the Integra

Pinging. Occurs under load from about 2000rpm-5000rpm in any gear. I admit that I only put 87 octane in it, but it didn't use to do it and the car is designed for 87. I know pinging is detonation, but I don't understand why its occurring. My thought that it maybe is the timing could be off. Does anybody know if the ignition system in the integra (b18b1) advances with RPM's? I put 89 octane in it on this tank, but I know its just a temporary solution, I would like to fix it. The car also seems down on power. No other problems though, gas mileage is still around normal, and its not drinking coolant or anything like that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Checked your timing belt? It may have skipped time.

Also, Hondas of that era have been known to have defective distributors when they get older.

All post 1975 cars advance their timing with RPM.

I have a problem with the Integra

Pinging. Occurs under load from about 2000rpm-5000rpm in any gear. I admit that I only put 87 octane in it, but it didn't use to do it and the car is designed for 87. I know pinging is detonation, but I don't understand why its occurring. My thought that it maybe is the timing could be off. Does anybody know if the ignition system in the integra (b18b1) advances with RPM's? I put 89 octane in it on this tank, but I know its just a temporary solution, I would like to fix it. The car also seems down on power. No other problems though, gas mileage is still around normal, and its not drinking coolant or anything like that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Your sig says it's an LS which uses the non vtec motor which doesn't require anything more than 87 octane, afaik the vtec models need premium

Yeah...the LS is a low-compression (9.2 IIRC) motor...87 is fine, as long as the ignition timing is within stock spec. It honestly sounds like your timing belt has jumped a tooth...when was the last time you changed the timing belt and tensioner? Checking the timing is fairly easy...you pull off the valve cover and the upper timing cover so that the cam gear sprockets are exposed, and then rotate the crank, either via the starter (one short burst at a time) or the crank pulley until the crank shows Top Dead Center (small white mark that will align with a "V" shaped tab on the lower timing cover) and then check to see if the cam gears are lined up. Another possibility is just the ignition timing has gotten messed up, but that's not likely. You could try retarding the ignition timing to see what happens.

I had not even thought about the timing belt skipping. I bet that's the reason, thanks for the input!

Yeah...timing belts can also stretch. They're a pain in the ass :mrgreen: My timing belt broke a while back, but rather than actually breaking, the teeth just stripped off at the bottom, so the crank pulley was just turning a smooth belt. Wierd.

Yeah...timing belts can also stretch. They're a pain in the ass :mrgreen: My timing belt broke a while back, but rather than actually breaking, the teeth just stripped off at the bottom, so the crank pulley was just turning a smooth belt. Wierd.

Damn these piston engines and their mechanical timing!!!:p

:lol: I can't deny that the fact that you need to beat on a rotary to keep it healthy is awesome though.

:lol: I can't deny that the fact that you need to beat on a rotary to keep it healthy is awesome though.

Redline a day keeps the carbon away.:cool:

BTW I just ordered this sticker to put on my back window of my seven
69230280v5_350x350_Front.jpg

:D

At least us piston heads don't have to dismantle our engine every year. :D

At least us piston heads don't have to dismantle our engine every year. :D

Yeah but you Jaguar owners do.:p

I believe I've read that the e type jag is the WORST car in the world to do a clutch job on?

No, we Jaguar owners don't have to. :p I did help a friend of mine with his turbo RX7, and we DID have to replace the apex seals every year. :p

And no, the E-Type isn't the worst, unless you're a moron. It's about normal difficulty. IIRC, I think the worst is the 1st gen SAAB 900.

No, we Jaguar owners don't have to. :p I did help a friend of mine with his turbo RX7, and we DID have to replace the apex seals every year. :p

And no, the E-Type isn't the worst, unless you're a moron. It's about normal difficulty. IIRC, I think the worst is the 1st gen SAAB 900.

Yeah where the engine is on top of the transmission? Isn't that how those crazy ass swedes did it back then?

Worse - the engine in that car is mounted in longitudinal and backwards - the flywheel is at the front of the car.

Worse - the engine in that car is mounted in longitudinal and backwards - the flywheel is at the front of the car.

That just sounds retarded. I will never buy one now, thats for sure.

That's like...dividing by zero...:lol:
The worst thing I ever had to work on was a Volkswagen Jetta...ever since then I've stuck to Japanese cars :mrgreen:

That's like...dividing by zero...:lol:
The worst thing I ever had to work on was a Volkswagen Jetta...ever since then I've stuck to Japanese cars :mrgreen:

I am firmly convinced that classic pre-GM design Saabs are the worst things to work on, ever. We had a Saab 9000 when I was in high school....

Saab likes Torx fasteners, protected and otherwise.... Lots and lots and lots of Torx fasteners everywhere.

To Saab, everything is Torx. :p