Mapping the Test Track

Dumb question, I know. The credits list Bankstown Airport. So I'm guessing it's filmed at Camden, which is owned by BAC Airports.

Yeah?

The track is at Camden, the studio is at Bankstown.

Here is my biggest problem with the show. In this one thread in the space of a dozen comments you've already had better ideas they are using on the show. What were they thinking? Has anyone emailed them an 'improved' version of the track? :p

Here is my biggest problem with the show. In this one thread in the space of a dozen comments you've already had better ideas they are using on the show. What were they thinking?

You know it's worrying when an 18 year old up at 2am drawing with a mouse in 5?C weather produces a (in my opinion) more dramatic and faster track. :|

Nice track layout guys. I bet there are a ton of insurance concerns with all of those aircraft about. I am also sure that there is a concern with the "possible" abuse the track can handle. This is one of those areas that definetly need some polishing, hopefully they will see your posts!

i feel you could have made a much better track with this heh. http://www.sleemancentre.org.au/files/pdf/SSC Site Map V2.pdf

all the roads are more than two lanes wide(parking on the sides).

Unfortunately it is in Brisbane.

Nots: Map has no scale. But google maps would give an idea of size :).

I wonder if it is obvious your from the east side of Brisbane :p

Problem is since it is accessible to the general public and so close they would have us fans hanging around looking for what cars they are testing. Plus would need a lot of work to keep everyone happy (re: the bus station, police station, the pool and velodrome). They may as well use Lakeside Park or Morgan Park :cool:

Anyone thinking Bathurst like me? The Stig would find the Shell Bathurst most accomodating...

I think you guys may be missing something.

I've watched Stig's 911 lap a bunch of times now, and I'm sure that there is more to the TGA track than the previous maps show.

After Clarkson Curve, which Charlie says is "sweeping right hander", Stig starts accelerating "up and over the back of the circuit" and you can see he is giving it the beans for a good 5-6 seconds before he starts turning left into a corner Charlie describes as "tippy toes, tippy toes, this is kind of a double apex" and then he turns onto the main straight.

Here's my take on it. I'm fairly certain it's right after looking at the background scenery in the in-car and field camera shots, and watching the Stig's steering movements.

This also means that the track is actually approximately 2070m long, which gives Vince C (1:34) an average speed of 79km/h (49 mph), the Stig's Proton lap (1:22) an average of 91 km/h (56 mph), and the Stig's 911 lap (1:11) an average speed of 105 km/h (65 mph).

Still not a super fast track, but nowhere near as slow as previously thought.

http://img133.imageshack.**/img133/4642/topgearaustraliatrackwj1.jpg

I think you guys may be missing something.

I've watched Stig's 911 lap a bunch of times now, and I'm sure that there is more to the TGA track than the previous maps show.

After Clarkson Curve, which Charlie says is "sweeping right hander", Stig starts accelerating "up and over the back of the circuit" and you can see he is giving it the beans for a good 5-6 seconds before he starts turning left into a corner Charlie describes as "tippy toes, tippy toes, this is kind of a double apex" and then he turns onto the main straight.

Here's my take on it. I'm fairly certain it's right after looking at the background scenery in the in-car and field camera shots, and watching the Stig's steering movements.

This also means that the track is actually approximately 2070m long, which gives Vince C (1:34) an average speed of 79km/h (49 mph), the Stig's Proton lap (1:22) an average of 91 km/h (56 mph), and the Stig's 911 lap (1:11) an average speed of 105 km/h (65 mph).

Still not a super fast track, but nowhere near as slow as previously thought.

Annotated with screenshots of the Porsche lap.

* Camera positions are numbered to match the corners
* Camera numbers are placed to correspond to the actual camera position (including in-car shots)
* Camera numbers for long shots (cameras 'S', '4' & '9') are overlayed on the screenshot taken from that camera, which is placed approximately where the car is.

I hope that makes sense. :blink:

The other laps (Lotus, BMW, Merc, GT-R, Hummer) show some alternate angles.

http://img361.imageshack.**/img361/8384/topgearaustraliatrackwjpu9.jpg

Going around the lap, points of interest are:

s - Lots of buildings are clearly visible
1 - Lots of buildings are clearly visible
2b - The control tower is in front of Stig's helmet, which I think is the black circle on the ground
3a & 3b - Narrow strips of tarmac that form the right angle to the right of the track are in front of Stig's helmet
3c - Curved runway marking is in front of Stig's helmet - this marking also occurs at camera position 4 which could mean the corner is there, as assumed on the earlier revision but...
4 - The taxiway that intersects the main runway is at the bottom of the shot, plus the car is about the same distance from the camera in both shots from position 4 (front & rear) - both of which would be impossible on the previous revision because there's only one taxiway intersecting the main runway, plus there wouldn't be any room left for the chicane
5 - The extra width of tarmac and the runway markings are visible - it's hard to see in this screenshot (watch the video) - the location is correct but the chicane isn't as sharp as 14two10 has illustrated, it's more of a right-hand kink (it's pretty clearly shown on the GT-R lap)
6 - More runway markings... and braking hard for turn 6
9 - I'm not sure if this is going through turn 6 or 7. I'm pretty sure the camera position is correct based on the bollards for the bus stop and the lines on the tarmac at the bottom of the shot
8 - Hard right into the bus stop entrance (Lotus, BMW and Merc laps all show the bus stop quite well)
9a - Hard left into the bus stop exit

Well done 14two10!

Last edited:
2b - The control tower is in front of Stig's helmet, which I think is the black circle on the ground

It doesn't change your reasoning, but the black circle isn't the tower. That's tarmac (wind sock). I'm not totally sure, but the rather tall (use the shadows to judge building heights) hexagonal building down by the hangers is most likely the tower.

And, I have to say: that is some good analysis of the video!

Edit: Before I get attacked by another eagle-eyed nit-picker: it's an octagonal building :p

Last edited:
It doesn't change your reasoning, but the black circle isn't the tower. That's tarmac (wind sock). I'm not totally sure, but the rather tall (use the shadows to judge building heights) hexagonal building down by the hangers is most likely the tower.

Edit: Before I get attacked by another eagle-eyed nit-picker: it's an octagonal building :p

Oh yeah, I can see that. I think the placement of the screenshot is still about right, as no other buildings are visible behind the Tower but the light-green hangar with the double roof is visible through the rear-quarter window.

Are you guys looking to get a job in an intelligence agency?? I would have never picked out the control tower. Nice reverse engineering of the track.

If anything...it strengthens the argument...

because if the tower was those black circles, once could argue that i could still be viewed at that position (screen grab 2b) on the previously proposed track layout

but as you say, much respect for excellent video analysis!

I was a bit shocked when someone told me Camden Airport is being used for Top Gear's track (I haven't actually watched it yet - no tv and cant be bothered downloading it), but I've taxied many a plane on there so am familar with the layout.

The taxiways are incredibly narrow, the main runway isn't that long (plus the positioning of the taxiways don't allow the full use of it)and there is still a bit of air traffic using it. The control tower (and it is that hexagonal\pentagonal whatever shaped building) is closed during the week so I dunno how they stop planes landing there when the cars are on it and on the weekend there is constant aircraft movements.

I should be able to work out which layout is the correct one when I finally watch the episode. The Right-hand side section of the taxiways (going past the windsock) is uphill so it should be easy to spot if they really go up there.

And I hope SBS pays good money to use the airport. Pilots have to pay exorbitant landing fees to use it.

I should be able to work out which layout is the correct one when I finally watch the episode. The Right-hand side section of the taxiways (going past the windsock) is uphill so it should be easy to spot if they really go up there.

I just watched the lap again, and when they come out of Clarkson Curve and up the back of the track, they only show a little bit of footage before Stig enters the double apex corner, but he does seem to go up and over a slight rise, and Charlie says "up and over the back of the course now", which would seem to hint at a slight hill.

Yes thats where it is.

If you scroll to the right on google earth, you'll be able to see Oran Park Raceway - a real race track that's pretty much next door.

The UK TG track was designed by Lotus wasn't it? This seems like the producers just drew some line on a map and called it a track. I would much rather they rent out a real track like FG does. Oh btw, does anyone have the layout of the FG's new track?