New Look TG Websites launches October 1st

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
"A word about out blogs. We're grouping them together under subjects rather than by writer and we've given them all names."

I hope it's still relatively easy to get a particular writer's pieces.

Wood paneling? Helvetica? Reflection-y effects?
From a graphic perspective: I'm in heaven.

Hope it will now have the videos in a Flash player, like on the Aussie TG site. Cause that's just better.

Update Just finished reading the article. Great stuff. And new videos with new player - maybe they'll combine that with their YouTube channel?

So.. is bbc.co.uk/topgear defunct now?

That's an interesting question - the problem is that bbc.co.uk/topgear isn't allowed to link to topgear.com for a lot of political reasons.

So there is a bit of a requirement/expectation that the BBC has at least some kind of public service site for one of its most popular shows.

I wonder whether they will just move it towards /programmes instead - a number of programmes just have their own branded /programmes site now. Seems to make more sense than building their own site.

But there might also be an expectation that /topgear is kept and includes advert free versions of all the videos on topgear.com for a UK audience.

The TopGear.com player is as good as the BBC EMP.

Wood paneling? Helvetica? Reflection-y effects?
From a graphic perspective: I'm in heaven.

I just hope it's all valid HTML and CSS. :p

Love the retro graphics scheme they're using for the section headers. "Cars, culture, and other crap"...:lol:

To be fair, though, the current website isn't exactly stuck in the 90s with flashing GIFs either. That wood paneling is pretty curious.

That wood paneling is pretty curious.

But the wood paneling! It's so... so full of awesome. :|

Edit: The beta site broke. Goodbye yellow brick wood panel road.

Stay with us a little bit longer...

Stay with us a little bit longer...

Folks. This is Mikey, editorial director on TG in London. Thanks for all the positive feedback on the new site you so successfully hacked (how you ever guessed 'beta.topgear.com' I shall never know...;)

Sadly, after a few last minute tests, we decided it wasn't quite robust enough to 'go live' with today. We're currently aiming for Tuesday next.

What you'll get then is only a taste of what we have for you ? the full functionality will be rolled out between next week and Xmas, and then a whole raft of new content after that.

We've been on this for 10 months now, so another few days doesn't mean much to us, but we know it must be deeply frustrating for you guys.

Our Sincere apologies

Mikey and the team

Is this simply another case of "ambitious but rubbish"?