Jeremy to run against Nick Clegg??

Except that would mean that he would have to leave Top Gear right?

And I'm sure that even people who have read the Wikipedia article on the old format would know what happened when he left Top Gear.

To quote the article this is frankly bonkers.
Never gonna happen

Except that would mean that he would have to leave Top Gear right?

Actually he wouldn't - the only way he would HAVE to leave Top Gear is if he stood as a party candidate AND was given a job in the cabinet of that party.

So if he stood as a Tory candidate and got in as an MP and the Conservatives won the election he could still present TopGear and write for magazines/newspapers as long as he wasn't given a job as a Minister (say Transport).

So as long as he was just a back bench MP he would be fine to carry on as normal and as TG isn't technically a political programme he would also be allowed to carry on presenting it by the BBC.

Have I Got News for You is a very topical current affairs show and Boris Johnson was allowed to present that by the BBC - until he joined the tory shadow cabinet anyway.

Actually he wouldn't - the only way he would HAVE to leave Top Gear is if he stood as a party candidate AND was given a job in the cabinet of that party.

So if he stood as a Tory candidate and got in as an MP and the Conservatives won the election he could still present TopGear and write for magazines/newspapers as long as he wasn't given a job as a Minister (say Transport).

So as long as he was just a back bench MP he would be fine to carry on as normal and as TG isn't technically a political programme he would also be allowed to carry on presenting it by the BBC.

Have I Got News for You is a very topical current affairs show and Boris Johnson was allowed to present that by the BBC - until he joined the tory shadow cabinet anyway.

IIRC, Boris also edited a magazine (The Spectator) whilst in the shadow cabinet. My local MP is a practising lawyer and an MP.

And the First Minister of Scotland has a second job as an MP.

I don't believe there's any explicit rule about having to quit jobs unless there's an obvious clash.

However, I'll eat my hat if this does happen. I can't imagine Clarkson running for office.

I'm not sure how reliable the Pink News is as a news source. Probably no worse than The Sun or the Daily Mail, but I've never heard of it before ...

I'm not sure how reliable the Pink News is as a news source. Probably no worse than The Sun or the Daily Mail, but I've never heard of it before ...

You've probably never heard of it because it's a gay paper - it's pretty accurate as far as I know.