OH COCK

Just out of curiosity - how do you know these things? Because unless you have driven your beetle at and beyond the limit then no, you don't know what the car is capable of.

To be fair a base N/A Beetle doesn't have that high of a limit ;)
Although I really don't see how someone could successfully sue for being injured in their car when not wearing a seatbelt. That would take one hell of a lawyer. Yea there are plenty of frivilous lawsuits here, but not everyone wins them. But, the decision will boil down to money somewhere.
There was a case of a guy who set his RV to cruise control, got up, went in the back to make himself some coffee, went off the road, got 7 figures + new RV because the manual did not say he couldn't do that.

Last edited:
Oh I understand their reasoning, it's just not mine.

Although I really don't see how someone could successfully sue for being injured in their car when not wearing a seatbelt. That would take one hell of a lawyer. Yea there are plenty of frivilous lawsuits here, but not everyone wins them. But, the decision will boil down to money somewhere.

Right. But a person won a lawsuit because she (herself) put her own cat in a microwave. And sued the manufacturer and won.

Any source for that? Because that sounds a little too "email rumor" to be true just like the poodle.

Yes, I've seen it from serious sources, but I don't know where to find a serious source online, assuming that's what you're asking. Maybe google around a bit, I CBA.

There was a case of a guy who set his RV to cruise control, got up, went in the back to make himself some coffee, went off the road, got 7 figures + new RV because the manual did not say he couldn't do that.

Right. But a person won a lawsuit because she (herself) put her own cat in a microwave. And sued the manufacturer and won.

Snopes pwns you foolz.

The earliest version concluded with a seventh item that has since been snipped away, likely after someone noticed it was the venerable microwaved poodle legend. Its inclusion would have immediately called into question the truthfulness of the other six cases for any number of folks familiar with urban legends. The remaining six were still false, but they weren't as obviously false as the following poodle tale and thus wouldn't have set the alarm bells ringing:
7. And just so you know that cooler heads do occasionally prevail: Kenmore Inc., the makers of Dorothy Johnson's microwave, were found not liable for the death of Mrs. Johnson's poodle after she gave it a bath and attempted to dry it by putting the poor creature in her microwave for, "just a few minutes, on low," The case was quickly dismissed.

A version of the list that began circulating in the spring of 2002 has yet another urban legend included as its final item, the venerable cruise control legend:

In November 2000, Mr. Grazinski purchased a brand new 32 foot Winnebago motor home. On his first trip home, having joined the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly, the Winnie left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the handbook that he could not actually do this. He was awarded $1,750,000 plus a new Winnebago.
Some versions bear the following footer, although many omit it:
PLEASE ASSIST OUR LAW OFFICES IN A TORT REFORM PROGRAM. WE ARE ATTEMPTING TO PUT A STOP TO THESE INSANE JURY AWARDS BY SENDING THIS E-MAIL OUT TO THE PUBLIC IN THE HOPES OF SWAYING PUBLIC OPINION. PLEASE FORWARD IT TO EVERY EMAIL ADDRESS YOU KNOW.

http://www.snopes.com/legal/lawsuits.asp

To be fair a base N/A Beetle doesn't have that high of a limit ;)

So does an old boat of a maxima on crappy all-seasons, yet I never push it to 10/10ths on the street. Compared to a sports car, the limits of my car are really low; but compared to my normal road speeds (10mph over the limit usually), the limits are very high.

Yeah, wtf? I'm not saying that I follow speed limits to the T but 60 in a 25 is reckless.

Generally yea, but several townships around my home town enforce a borough-wide 25 mph speed limit. Which is incredibly frustrating considering the roads around there.

I got stupid last night in the Avalon...
2 friends and I were out (If anyone knows of this) down Renner where there are like 4 roundabouts in a row. It was like 11pm and there was no one else there so I got a bit reckless.
By reckless I mean taking roundabouts with a "suggested" 15mph limit at 50...
Was fun, though.

lol roundabouts have speed limits in the states? can you say "nanny"?

Speaking of stupid driving... another classic is going around roundabouts the wrong direction.

Speaking of stupid driving... another classic is going around roundabouts the wrong direction.

Some moron did that near my house about a month ago! How the HELL do you go around a rotary/roundabout the wrong way

Oh I go around roundabouts clockwise all the time, just for the heck of it...

Any we have around here have the yellow "suggested" speed limits posted. Technically the speed limit is that of the previous appearing white speed limit sign, the yellow ones are just the "The curve after this sign is sharp and you'll experience excess g-forces unless you stay below this speed" signs.

So... speed limits on roads = good, speed limits on a section of road that's not straight = nanny state?

Speed limits are there to protect other drivers and pedestrians from people like you.

Some moron did that near my house about a month ago! How the HELL do you go around a rotary/roundabout the wrong way

I've done that before. :blush: In my defense, the Westboro Town Center roundabout is really awkwardly marked and hard to pay attention to at 11 in the evening.

Brats. You know my car isn't as horrible as you say, and defiantly not the worst in this community. Not the slowest either. It functions perfectly daily driver with entertainment put above reliability. Sure you laugh, but how many times has a stranger yelled out your care was fucking awesome when you drove by? Ever had someone stop to chat about it at a stoplight? Ever have someone let you cut in front of them because of your car?. :p

Also, I'm not knocking speed limits. People are dumb. They will get in a car and look and think it can do X amount of speed but not factor in if THEY can do X amount of speed. That's why so many teenagers crash, doesn't matter WHAT you are driving if you can't control it yet. Speed is not something bragworthy either. YOU are not doing it. That's what the car is for. It doesn't matter if you're in a bug or a mustang, anyone who can reach the pedal can make it go it's controlling it that matters. Which is why an awesome driver can take a transit van on a track and pass the sports cars :lol:

Speed limits are there to protect other drivers and pedestrians from people like you.

To be clear here I did this when there were no pedestrians or other cars around... I definitely wouldn't have driven like that if there was any traffic.

So when there are no other drivers and no pedestrians to worry about, speed limits shouldn't be there, right? : )

I know the limits of that car VERY well. I've driven in a combination of track, slalom, lane-change, accident avoidance, etc etc etc and I'm fairly confident I know exactly how much the car can take. I didn't explore these limits on the streets, or even in a parking lot. I did it at a defensive driving school in Colorado.