Nikon D90 price drop?

Solberg

Car(s)
Porsche 997 Carrera S & 2012 Ford Raptor!!
I want to get the Nikon D90 and upgrade from the D40x I'm using now.

I'm in no rush however. Will there be a price drop on the D90? If so, when is it expected? I don't mind waiting for a bit.

Well I guess in a few months. The usual sort of time. Hell I was REALLY tempted by a D80 a few days ago - was ?500 with 18-55 and 55-200 in Jessops. Then I realised I didn't have that kind of money. I tried a D90 in the shop, and you won't be disappointed. Its amazing.

I am so tempted to get it but a voice in my head tells me I should wait.

Im considering the exact same upgrade, But i think cash is going to be tight for me until after christmas, So it might have to wait until then. Unless someone offers me good money for my d40x & lenses.
Im sure there will be a price drop sooner or later.. there always is... but its the never ending cycle, we can wait for the price drop, but then theres something new and better we want..

I think I'm just going to wait until Nikon comes out with a replacement for the D40/D60, using the new sensor technology from the D90. I the mean time, I'll continue to enjoy my D40 :)

The D90 just has too many gimmicky features for my liking (live view, video recording, etc.)

Ever since I picked up my DSLR, I'm kicking myself for getting rid of a perfectly-good Zenitar film SLR I had sitting on my shelf for ages.

I'm actually tempted to get the D80.

My local camera shop is selling them at a real bargain price.

They are offering it to me for 600$ with a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D.

I think I'd be mad not to take it.

I've been buying there for years and I have sent many friends there that also spent a good deal of money in the shop.

They know me well and will even be willing to buy my D40x at a good price.

However no deals are to be had on the D90.

As long as you've got a standard zoom to put on it, that's a good deal. The D80 is a great piece of kit, and the 50/1.8 is a sweet little lens.

They are offering it to me for 600$ with a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D.

I think I'd be mad not to take it.

I've been buying there for years and I have sent many friends there that also spent a good deal of money in the shop.

They know me well and will even be willing to buy my D40x at a good price.
They want to sell you a D80 for effectively $500 and buy your old camera? I'd do it.

I have a 16-85mm VR and a 70-300mm VR.

The question is, is the D80 worth an upgrade from my D40x?

We didn't decide on a price yet.

All that was promised is a good price for both of us.

However, I don't know if I'll go for it after all.

From what I read, the D80 has slightly lower IQ, higher noise over the entire ISO range and a poorer battery life.

I understood that the D80 and D40x basically have the same sensor and image processing internals, but the D80 has a lot more additional features like an AF motor, more manual controls, more AF-points, AF selection lock, DOF preview (something I'm wishing more and more that I had).

If I got $250 for the D40[x], I'd do it, assuming my first statement in this post is correct. That would effectively be a D80 for $250 because you're getting the lens with it, and it happens to be a lens that I'd want anyway.

Is the D80 brand new?

Yes it is brand new.

From what I read, the D40x has a better photo processing algorithm. Therefore the photos look much better out of the camera and require much less photoshop work than the D80 photos would need.

Here's a direct comparison:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...meras=nikon_d40,nikon_d40x,nikon_d80&show=all

Ah-ha! Found it: from http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40x/ ...

Nikon D40X key features

* 10 megapixel DX format CCD (1.5x FOV crop)
* Nikon Image processing engine (as D80 / D200)
* 3D Color Matrix Metering II, 420 pixel sensor (as D80 / D50)

Something I just realized is that the D80 doesn't have the shooting info readout on the back LCD as the D40 does. I'd be pretty annoyed having to look on the top LCD read-out all the time. However, I think the number of advancements you'd get over the D40x are enough to outweigh that minor annoyance.

Last edited:
It's kinda hard to believe that D90 will drop in price that quickly but hey the holiday season is coming in. Maybe there's some door buster deals on black friday.

Something I just realized is that the D80 doesn't have the shooting info readout on the back LCD as the D40 does. I'd be pretty annoyed having to look on the top LCD read-out all the time.

That would be perfect to me - I have a D50, so its all the same to me. :)