Stupid idea for a first proper car?

I come from driving a stripped out Miata, to me, the DC2 is like riding in a cloud. Even my friend, who came from a GT-Four Celica, thinks it's quiet and comfortable, and didn't complain once driving across Europe and back. Thats with a Mugen induction kit, and a 5Zigen exhaust (90db).

While that maybe the case, its all relative and its still unlikely to be considered a comfortable, plush car by the majority, (i.e. women, children, old ppl), young guys who are into cars have a totally different standard of 'interior comfort' from the average.

Please no, i've just found an S class with a TV in it (!) for ?8k.. 200k miles though :?

Must have been an S500/600 or a newer model...

I thought I'd take a look round Auto Trader for an S-class after I remembered JC's "Victorian cottage" job... he bought that P-reg S-class for two grand, so I figured it might be possible to pick one up for even less... and there it was. Prices for these huge old barges have got to have dropped through the floor since petrol became so hideously overpriced, and they'll last until it's gone over ?3 a litre (meant to be a decade or so in the future but probably some time in 2011 or so despite the recent drops... bah).

As for those 5-series you were looking at in the original post: if I was going to have a 5, I'd opt for an 03-plate E39 - so I could look at it when I wasn't driving it.

Haha, thanks! :cheers: I saw one in Milan that was rally-prepped and it absolutely ripped. Old Italian cars are the best.

That yellow one I saw had some tweaks to the engine and suspension, since the owner took part in classics racing. :cool: Too bad the mechanic couldn't turn the engine on because he was installing new camshafts.

You're in the UK, right? ?8K can get you some pure awesomeness there. Exhibit #1, #2, #3 and #4. There is a lot more snacks here... :woot:

Last edited:
Where did the Corvette come from. There's no chance of getting a good one for a decent price, adn they're totally impractical for driving in the UK.

This is the stupid idea for cars thread not good ideas!:lol: If you want practical, get boring corolla or something that's nice and reliable and so boring I would drive it off a cliff.

^

There are loads of fun, good to drive & reliable cars out there on the market.

Personally... I kind of like the Honda Integra... should be my pick of the bunch, but the smart brabus coupe/roadster sounds pretty good as well.

This is the stupid idea for cars thread not good ideas!:lol:

No, he was asking if the BMW was a stupid idea, hence the '?'

He wants sensible suggestions. :)

Where did the Corvette come from. There's no chance of getting a good one for a decent price, adn they're totally impractical for driving in the UK.

Which country do you think the Pistonheads website caters for? Thats a US import, available for around ?8k, in the UK. Besides, fuel consumption aside, what makes them impractical? LHD? Boo-hoo. Frankly, being LHD or RHD doesn't make it any more/less practical. The age old argument of ''well it's harder to overtake'' is bollocks. If you're driving close enough to the car in front that you can't see the road ahead, well then that's your own fault. Having driven a RHD car across Europe several times, I've never once found a problem with overtaking.

They're no bigger than a lot of cars over here, particularly the likes of modern saloons. Decent visiblity, tremendous, theatrical noise, and rare. I like my toys, and though I wouldn't buy a Vette of that shape (meh, it's just not my thing), I'd certainly consider it. For the same money you can have a decent C4 Corvette, and from experience these actually aren't bad cars at all.

I have to say, I've driven a Brabus Roadster and wasn't impressed. But if you're interested in one, try and arrange a test drive, it might be all the excuse you need to buy yourself something fun. Before you dump the cash though, test drive an S2000, Elise/Exige, and an MX5. This is a biased opinion, but you might just find an MX5 will do the same job as the others for less than 25% of the price. I tested a C4 'Vette, R32 Skyline GTR/GTS-T, S2000 (facelift and pre), a Pontiac Fiero, an S1 Exige and Elise, and an S2 Elise, then I test drove an MX5 as a joke and to cheer my partner up, who loves them. Guess which one I fell in love with? :D I wouldn't swap it for any of the other cars now.

Last edited:
Here's some advice. Don't buy a 70s Alfa or something for 8k, it will ruin you and will make your life miserable (if its your only car). You should always have at least one car that actually works everyday.

for that money id go with an older, lower milage E39

You're in the UK, right? ?8K can get you some pure awesomeness there. Exhibit #1, #2, #3 and #4. There is a lot more snacks here... :woot:

those tvr's tho...one needs an MOT and will need its tax renewing, which will be mega bucks coz it's no doubt in the top bracket which our gov are saying will cost over ?400 just to tax. then theres parts and servicing for WHEN it breaks down