'No God' slogans for city's buses

"There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life"

That 'probably' makes me happy - "We're not sure! What if there's a tiny chance there is a god! Quick! Put a 'probably' on the advert!"

Well......if this isn't a generalisation, then I don't know what is. See, this is exactly what I mean. Now I don't have anything against you, if you are religious and believe in God etc.

It's just that you are here also implying, that most atheists are people who aggressively attack against religoin and hate everything about it. Or as you put it: I think many religious people misunderstand those who are atheists. It works both ways. I'm not here to start a flamewar, absolutely not. I just think your post was veryvery hypocritical.

It is exactly for this reason I like this idea so much. I don't know who the person behind this is and I really don't care. All I care about is the plain and simple idea behind this......to give and actually show people that there IS another way of thinking.

Well, you said this:

However I AM sick and tired of everyone always resorting to religion in every single aspect of life, wether it is politics or social relationships instead of using logic and common sense.....noo, let's do what the bible says

Which is why I said "many atheists", not 'all' or 'everyone'. I was sure to make that specification in order to not generalize like you did. My post was a response to your type of thinking as well as those who praise Richard Dawkins.

I think people have a very naive attitude towards advertising. Advertisements are made to SELL YOU something. That's the main reason I hate televangelism and religious ads. Trying to sell religion in such a transparent way. You simply cannot trust someone who profits off religion. It would be like finding out Jeremy Clarkson owns a couple Mercedes Benz dealerships in the UK, and then watching him praise the newest AMG on TopGear. That's not to say he is lying about how good that AMG really is, it could be the best car ever built, but you can no longer take his word for it.

On the subject of advertising, I find it funny that people make a special exception for religion. It makes it appear that they have a great deal of hate for it. Whether or not they intended to come off as hateful is beside the point. When you watch TV and you see ads for Coka Cola, Sprint, Target, Nissan, and then a religious ad, you get pissed about having "religion shoved down your throat". Then another ad for another night club opening downtown, while you're oblivious. Advertisements are all the same. Someone trying to sell you something. But I've never heard a fanatical Pepsi lover piss and moan about all these Coka Cola ads "trying to shove their product down my throat!"

Lots of hateful people in this world.

On the subject of advertising, I find it funny that people make a special exception for religion. It makes it appear that they have a great deal of hate for it. Whether or not they intended to come off as hateful is beside the point. When you watch TV and you see ads for Coka Cola, Sprint, Target, Nissan, and then a religious ad, you get pissed about having "religion shoved down your throat". Then another ad for another night club opening downtown, while you're oblivious. Advertisements are all the same. Someone trying to sell you something. But I've never heard a fanatical Pepsi lover piss and moan about all these Coka Cola ads "trying to shove their product down my throat!"

It's different because religion isn't a commodity that tries to seek more and more buyers for its message, it's a private, inherent philosophy that an individual must seek and understand for himself. It's what evangelists don't understand, and what I don't understand about evangelists: what's the point of getting more people to your religion? So you can make sure that they donate more money? That's how religion becomes corrupted and strays from the point.

Atheists don't need to donate. :D

It's different because religion isn't a commodity that tries to seek more and more buyers for its message, it's a private, inherent philosophy that an individual must seek and understand for himself. It's what evangelists don't understand, and what I don't understand about evangelists: what's the point of getting more people to your religion? So you can make sure that they donate more money? That's how religion becomes corrupted and strays from the point.
No argument from me.

Atheists don't need to donate. :D
Goes both ways really. Not many religions require members to donate. In fact, I can only really think of Mormonism, but I don't really know anything about that. Most of the churches I've been to didn't allow new members or guests/visitors to donate. They would only accept donations from people who've been there before, enjoyed it, and chose to return.

But Atheists can haver their own donations too. These bus advertisements, for example, were paid for by donations amounting to over $12,000 according to the OP.

... am I the only one who had to think about 'Dr Strangelove: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb' when he read that?
That 'probably' makes me happy - "We're not sure! What if there's a tiny chance there is a god! Quick! Put a 'probably' on the advert!"
That?s kind of the thing about the whole atheism-stuff ... to put knowlege above faith ... and because it?s never been proven that there is no god (like on the other hand it?s never been proven that there is one ... or more ... or wich one or ones it is now, and which religion got/gets it right) ... anything but putting a "probably" there would be misrepresentation of atheism. Atheists don?t need some god to make sense of this world or life, but of course they don?t know 100% there isn?t one ...

But Atheists can haver their own donations too. These bus advertisements, for example, were paid for by donations amounting to over $12,000 according to the OP.

They've now reached over $72,000 in donations, by the way.

My favourite bit, from this article :

But Stephen Green of pressure group Christian Voice said: "People don't like being preached at."

Stephen Green, of pressure group Christian Voice, meet the kettle. He's black, by the way.

Frankly, if religious groups are also doing this, I don't see a problem with it - you can't have it both ways.

13 goes both ways, but I don't think that's relevant here.

Which techincally makes it agnostic, since atheists are convinced that there can be no god and will use all kinds of science to try and tell you that.

Which techincally makes it agnostic, since atheists are convinced that there can be no god and will use all kinds of science to try and tell you that.
The line between atheism and agnostism is not really that clear at all. But not all atheists are trying to push atheism down others throats. Many atheists just don't bother with god at all, whether god exists or not is largely irrelevant anyway.

For Dawkins, he believes that there is no god so that makes him atheist. But he says he can't prove that there is no god, so that also makes him agnostic. He really only uses science to counter certain religious beliefs, like creationism, as opposed to trying to disprove the existence of god.

Frankly, if religious groups are also doing this, I don't see a problem with it - you can't have it both ways.

Exactly my thoughts. The cornerstone of a free society is being able to express yourself and your beliefs. Anyone who thinks it's wrong for atheists to claim "There's probably no God" needs to reexamine their values.

But I've never heard a fanatical Pepsi lover piss and moan about all these Coka Cola ads "trying to shove their product down my throat!"

I've actually heard lots of people complain about advertising being shoved down their throats. Adblock wouldn't be as popular as it is if people were indifferent to commercials.

Aye, but what can you do, besides trying not to be hateful yourself and hoping others follow suit?

That statement doesn't make a lot of sense, that's like saying the Pope is agnostic because he can't prove God exists.

Maybe my definitions are off, but isn't someone who is agnostic someone who doesn't know if there is a god or not? I always assumed that someone who believes in a god also "knows" that the god exists. I'm probably wrong, but I thought being agnostic was similar to being atheist. You raise a good point about religious (theist) people being agnostic though, I never really thought about that.

But being atheist means having no religion while being agnostic means being unsure of the existence of god. And since Dawkins can't be sure that god doesn't exist and he has no religion, maybe he's both atheist and agnostic? I'm hardly the most useful source of information on this.

That's perfectly acceptable. It's completely within their rights to do so. From a marketing perspective it is very bold, I just don't know if it's going to win people over. If it simply read, "Don't Worry, Enjoy Life," it'd be better. The whole, "There is probably no God," will alienate the people they're trying to assimilate. Plus the probably thrown in there adds a dose of uncertainty. It will create a lot of media attention, but in the end wont push the Atheist cause any further.

No sense arguing about religion, most atheists and Christians are good people, it's the extremists from both sides that get under peoples skin.

Never has there been a better time for this. . .

picard-headesk.jpg

I say it's not such a bad idea ... some religious fanatics have to be reminded to stop trying to convert people, either from atheism to religion or from one religion to another.

I'm an atheist ... but my beef is not with religion. My beef is with the church. They hardly ever practice what they preach, they much rather try to influence people than lead them on the right path, they ask people for money to perform religious services and despite a very big following, they still try to convert more and more people to the religion. I'm sorry, but that's pretty much against what their own religious scriptures tell them to do: Influencing people is just the same as imposing on their free will, asking for money is greed, and trying to covert minorities is also greed. If the church would actually perform according to religious scriptures, I wouldn't mind them. But if they're corrupt, they're not getting any sympathy from me.

Amen brother. Christians are hypocrites! Each and every one of us. I am a Christian, and I totally agree with you that the biggest thing wrong with my religion is Christians, myself included. We are all hypocrites. In my opinion you cannot seriously read the bible and not realise that. All of what Jesus said to the Pharisees in Matthew 23 is still relevant to the church today. He was ripping into them about not practicing what they preached and getting the whole basis of god?s law wrong. They were so caught up in the tiny details that they would strain their water to remove the gnats, but in doing so they completely missed the point. The law was supposed to be about justice, mercy and faithfulness but they (and us as well) made it about power, money and social status. I think if Jesus came back today he would be ripping into us for the same reasons.

Your point about not minding the church if they actually acted according to the scriptures is valid. But I think that if the church actually acted according to the scriptures it would be a sight to behold. ?Love your neighbour as yourself,? all of the law can be summarised as such. If the 2 billion (or however many of us there is) Christians in the world actually started loving their neighbour as themselves the world could not help but be amazed.

P.S. if any christians reading this are offended. GOOD, you should be. now do something about it