Can someone explain to me why anyone wants to vote for McCain/Palin?

Obama never made as irritatingly huge a deal on trying to connect with rural, "real" America and being portrayed as "one of them" beer-drinking everyday folks, like everything that oozes out of Sarah Palin's speeches. Do "real Americans" spend 3 times the average salary on brand-name clothing? :rolleyes:
Nope, but I know the Obamas are doing the same though. Clothes and style get Palin and Michelle into TV and magazines. To some women Cosmo is more influential than the AP.

Give me a break. McCain spends thousands on robo-calls harrassing random families on blown-out accusations of terrorism because he knew this dude who knew some dude. I'd rather tune myself out of a satellite channel than being called at dinner by some computer about how Obama's going to blow people up with his old chum Ayers.
So does Obama, it really depends on the state your in, here in Indiana we're being pounded by Obama calls and junk mail, I'm up to 28 Obama Smear flyers and just got the first McCain one the other day. I can't hold it against either candidate though, because I know it's not them behind it it's their press machines.

^ Dang, Joe Six Pack could have bought a lot of, uh, six packs for $150,000.
Something like 25-30,000 of them ... :beer:

Then again, I don't recall seeing 'clothes expenditure' for McCain, Biden or Obama, presumably as it's not out in the public domain.
Heh, presumably that's because none of them spent 150 grand on clothes. I could understand dropping maybe 10 or 20 on a closet of nice tailored suits, but god damn, 150k?!?

I do hope that universal heath care dies an early death. A government program of that size will not work. And no pointing to smaller countries, different circumstances.
Right, lets just leave any applicable precedents out of this argument!

Right what country is applicable, 60 million people enough? One the approximate same physical size? That will be the UK or France, and Canada then.

Right what country is applicable, 60 million people enough? One the approximate same physical size? That will be the UK or France, and Canada then.
Oh no, that stuff doesn't matter; the circumstances within those nations are just too different from our own!

Oh no, that stuff doesn't matter; the circumstances within those nations are just too different from our own!

That is true. The United States is just not set up for a program such as government funded universal health care. There are 300 million people in the United States spread over 3,794,066 sq mi. We get around 1,000,000 new citizens a year. You have 50 states, some quite a ways from the mainland. There is no country with universal heath care that is comparable.

Doesn't the PRC offer health care?

How does health care have anything to do with the size of the country? The idea is just to not let people go bankrupt when they become ill. I think that is quite a good idea which has been around for a while, strangely in the US nobody ever seemed to have heard about it.

strangely in the US nobody ever seemed to have heard about it.

Of course they have, it's just that most don't want it. Many believe that it is not the government's responsibility.

Doesn't the PRC offer health care?
They do but quality is greatly dependant on where you live. In Beijing care is excellent, hospitals are equipped with state of the art equipment. In poor provinces like Sichuan (where the earthquake took place) or Guizhou, it's a different matter.

Of course they have, it's just that most don't want it. Many believe that it is not the government's responsibility.

Doesn't the declaration of independence refer to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" as being three inalienable rights?

Strikes me that not being able to afford health insurance doesn't really fit in line with that.

On the other hand, you have to wonder which you would trust more (or which you trust less) - the government or big insurance businesses. That's not an easy one to answer.

^ That's an excellent point. For many Americans with tight budgets their right to life is being infringed upon because they cannot afford health insurance yet they make too much money to qualify for government aid.

As for which entity to trust, I think I would go with the one providing a service rather than the one trying to make a profit. You can't make money by giving it away to your customers. I've heard far too many stories about insurance companies backing out when it's time to pay up. And in many cases the level of insurance coverage isn't adequate to begin with. The insurance policy my family has now is severely lacking when it comes to dental work; it only covers cleanings and X-rays. What's the point of only covering that and not something you actually need to go to the dentist for like fillings or root canals? The only way around it is to take out a separate dental insurance policy which, as is the case with many families, just isn't financially possible right now.

The insurance policy my family has now is severely lacking when it comes to dental work; it only covers cleanings and X-rays. What's the point of only covering that and not something you actually need to go to the dentist for like fillings or root canals? The only way around it is to take out a separate dental insurance policy which, as is the case with many families, just isn't financially possible right now.

Even in here, I too go to private dental care. If I would go to public dentist I would have to wait atleast a month.

But still I don't need any insurance on that because goverment pays 60% of the care once a year. :p

edit: usually I take the bill to my mom, and write my own bank account number on the refund paper. So I make money every year by going to dentist. :lol:
(now I have to stop it unfortunately, because my mom and dad lose their jobs.)

Last edited:
I said it about a year ago and I will say it again now, McCain will win - mark my words. Decent man and so is Obama btw. I think that this should be a win / win for America.

/Edit tigger : we will see.

Last edited:
That is true.
That was sarcasm. I don't understand how geography has anything to do with the argument. Undoubtedly it would be huge task to move towards something resembling universal healthcare, but geography has nothing to do with it.

I said it about a year ago and I will say it again now, McCain will win - mark my words. Decent man and so is Obama btw. I think that this should be a win / win for America.
The only way that McCain can win at this point is if Obama loses.

That was sarcasm. I don't understand how geography has anything to do with the argument. Undoubtedly it would be huge task to move towards something resembling universal healthcare, but geography has nothing to do with it.

The only way that McCain can win at this point is if Obama loses.

The Democrats have a habit of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, so we shall see. My Government teacher mentioned something that made me think the other day. He said that some of the democrat members of the electoral college are die-hard Hillary fans so therefore they might not vote for Obama even if Obama wins the popular vote in that state.

Sarah Palin has run up $150,000 of the GOP's money on new clothes for the campaign trail.

And we thought Kerry's $400 haircuts were bad!

The campaign has also pledged to have all of those clothes donated to charities after the election... not so sure I believe that, but whatever. The bottom line is that they are free to spend their loot however they see fit and if they think 150G's worth of new clothes will help them win, then go for it.... :lol:

I am sure there are plenty other equally or far more ridiculous expenditures on both sides, and this is kind of a stupid argument with less than 2 weeks until the election.

Considering how much money has been spent this election (wasted), that's like a drop of water in the ocean.

Considering how much money has been spent this election (wasted), that's like a drop of water in the ocean.

I believe it is currently at around 1.5 billion dollars or so.

Doesn't the declaration of independence refer to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" as being three inalienable rights?

Strikes me that not being able to afford health insurance doesn't really fit in line with that.

The man who wrote that would roll over in his grave if he could hear you and yours twisting his words so. I can say confidently that he would have no mind for government-controlled universal healthcare in any way, shape, or form.