Street parking - are tall curbs a problem where you live?

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, Tesla Model Y
I don't know if its my imagination but the curbs seem to be getting taller these days and yes my car is lowered a little, but still there are way too many curbs where i have nearly no clearance to open the passenger side door

here's and example:

http://img530.imageshack.**/img530/4457/curbna7.jpg

As you can see a side shot of my car, its not exactly slammed, yet i always have to be wary that the door won't scrape on sidewalk pavement when opened:

http://img291.imageshack.**/img291/764/sideprofileip4.jpg

Not a problem here in the Midwest, curbs have to be short because of snow removal.

some areas in the city with new sidewalks have this problem too...and my car has a stock suspension. i have to tell my friends to be VERY careful when opening the doors or im gonna scrape them on the sidewalk.

(no im not really that mean to my friends :p).

Just start parking the car with the curb half side above the curb. :D

If a curb was too tall for me to open my door, then people would need stairs or a ladder to climb it :D

um.... +1 for lambo style scissor doors?

ummmmmm, no

I have had this problem in Baltimore a few times and the curbs in Korea were REALLY tall... like 18 inches!!

I don't know if its my imagination but the curbs seem to be getting taller these days and yes my car is lowered a little, but still there are way too many curbs where i have nearly no clearance to open the passenger side door.

I wouldn't know.

IMG_0897.JPG

IMG_1864.JPG

:lol::mrgreen:

And I always had to be careful of the Jags' doors anyway because they scrape on some of the lowest curbs. :p

If a curb was too tall for me to open my door, then people would need stairs or a ladder to climb it :D

Your Jeep doesn't even have doors, how would you know? :lol: :p

Last edited:
I'll have to make sure to not park my Koenigsegg there. :think:

Not a problem at all in Philadelphia. In some neighborhoods you'll be lucky if the curb is any more than 3 inches tall.

My friend has the issue with his Maxima only when it is full. There was one time it was a full car where I opened the door, scraped it and got it stuck. Everyone had to get out of the car to get it unstuck.

The only problem out my way with parking is lack of pavement. But I can verify that the curbs back home were growing, new development up the street had much bigger curbs than my neighborhood did. Never had a problem with it though.

Actually all the new streets (and even some older ones) have been receiving nicely rounded curbs. No idea what their meant for, but their nice because if you loose traction on black ice etc and accidently hit the curb you don't have to worry about costly suspension repairs.

nope, sometimes we have some high curbs but NOTHING close to as high as yours are.
Whats the point of having super high curbs anyway? to piss people off?

It a master plan by Peugeot to try and sell more 1007s. :lol:

^:lol:

In Singapore, with our BMW E90, no. Everything's standard down here, even up to the height/design and everything else of the curb. But if your car has lowered suspension, or you drive an Exige/Elise sort of car, yes.

south florida doesnt really have kurbs, at all.

In residential areas there is nothing dividing yards from streets :) No sidewalks either really.

In most places I don't have a problem, but in some places I do. In old town St. Charles, the curbs are at least as tall as yours, the Cougar doors don't have a chance (lowered 2-2.5") and the Mark VIII clears with the suspension raised, but lowered is a no go (active air suspension).