Computer won't go past POST

XeroState

Car(s)
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT
This computer is pissing me off to no ends.. and it's not even my computer.

When booting up [there is no OS on it, it is a brand new computer that was built with brand new components] the computer goes to the Gigabyte POST screen for 2-3 seconds, during which it does not allow any user intervention [no BIOS, no Boot Menu, nothing]. The computer then restarts without even a beep sequence given.

The specs are:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R mobo
OCZ 500W psu
Intel E7300
Palit HD4850
1 7200rpm Seagate drive
1 DVD +/- RW drive [LG I think]
Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4

When turned on the mobo has all the lights come on, every fan turns on and stays on [like they should]. If it would give me beep codes, freeze, not do anything, etc I wouldn't feel so confused but the fact that it keeps restarting itself just hurts my head. I have taken everything apart, re-connected and re-seated everything. Tried booting with only 1 stick of ram [each of them on their own], without anything plugged in that didn't have to be [dvd drive, hdd, etc] and it's always the same.

Power On - Black Screen - Gigabyte POST screen - Black Screen - Gigabyte POST Screen - Black Screen - etc

And it does that endlessly. Anyone have any ideas?

Doesn't sound good. Look up the key to enter the BIOS in the manual, then try to start the computer while holding the key. Maybe you'll get to the BIOS then, that'd be a start.

Doesn't work.. I don't even get the solid beep telling you are an idiot for holding down a key.

Well, seems like the CPU and the graphics card are working, otherwise you wouldn't get a picture at all. Can't be a badly mounted CPU cooler as well, as the pattern of the error obviously doesn't change with CPU temperature. Could only be a faulty mainboard or the RAM. Maybe there's a general incompatibility with the RAM modules, do you have any source for a different brand to have a go?

No I don't. Gigabyte's site does list the ram as supported though but I was thinking maybe faulty ram but I can't even run a memtest [well I guess I could put it in my comp but he lives all the way on the other side of the damn city lol].

I have a request in with Gigabyte but I highly doubt they work on Sunday's so I'll have to wait.

I honestly think it's the mobo but this is beyond anything I have seen [or told how to fix at school] and at this point am just guessing.

What would happen if the psu was faulty and wasn't supply enough on the cpu rail? It would it constantly restart or just crash?

Theoretically possible, but the power draw during the boot sequence should be low to average. In that case, the PSU should be several sizes to small, which it isn't. I have seen that happening - a computer constantly rebooting due to a too small PSU. But unless this one is faulty, this shouldn't happen here. Also, the computer I saw it at did it when the graphics card switched to a higher resolution in Windows. But rebooting is the normal pattern: the computer draws power, the (faulty?) PSU drops the voltage, the computer powers off, the PSU get's the voltage up again, the computer reboots.

If you keep on searching the error, try another PSU after you've ruled out the RAM to be the source of misery. If that ain't it either, it's the MoBo.

Last edited:
Yah, the RAM will be easier as I can just plug that into my computer and test. The PSU on the other hand I'd have to rip apart my computer to get mine out [750W and runs my quad-core] and put it in his to see.

Any more idea's? lol

I'm still awaiting Gigabyte's response though, maybe, just maybe they will have an answer for me.

Last edited:
This is a time when it would be good to have an big inventory of parts to swap around until it starts working. That's really the only thing I can suggest.

Oh I agree. But in reality I have zero spare parts.

Although it's kinda funny, as this is his only computer so he is stuck using his PS3 as a web browser while I go unaffected...lol

Your motherboard probably needs a BIOS update to support the E7200 (Wolfdale core).

The P45 chipset boards should come with Wolfdale support from release. I also think that it's either the mobo or the ram. There's a small chance that it's the PSU though, if you have a spare PSU maybe give that a try.

Is this a computer that was put together from separately-purchased components or was it bought pre-assembled? If it's latter, send it back if it's still under warranty.

If he bought it pre-assembled it'd be going back but it wasn't.

And yes the P45 chipsets are suppose to natively support the Wolfdale chips [and according to the billions of stickers and pamphlets Gigabyte included if it didn't they'd be the biggest fraud artists ever.. hell I think it's even written in ink on the actual motherboard].

I still think it's the mobo though. I mean in theory I COULD rip apart my pc to try out my psu to see if that's the problem, could try my ram [or just test his in my computer...] or go as far as to rip out my cpu and put it in his to see if it boots.. but that is a shit load of work.

I say pull the ram out completely and power it on. See if you get beep codes then. I wouldnt expect video, but I would expect beep codes. If you still dont get them, that further confirms its the board or the CPU to me....

OH, and I can think of one other thing. Check to make sure the mobo isn't grounding out. If you forget a little paper washer in one place, it can definately cause this.

I think it can be possibly caused by something shorting out too? I built a system long time ago (amd k5), the mobo wasn't seated properly and it did the same thing to me.

I say pull the ram out completely and power it on. See if you get beep codes then. I wouldnt expect video, but I would expect beep codes. If you still dont get them, that further confirms its the board or the CPU to me....

OH, and I can think of one other thing. Check to make sure the mobo isn't grounding out. If you forget a little paper washer in one place, it can definately cause this.
Uh, what? You DONT need those at ALL... it's called an earth ground, which is required by the UL.

All I know is I had the same problem once, and it turned out to be a paper washer. Go figure?

Well Gigabyte gave me a direct set of instructions to follow to do things I already told them I did [fail?]. I'm thinking of just waiting a day, saying I did it then getting a RMA number.. then again it's not my computer.. maybe I should ask the owner lol

Well problem solved.

He brought the PC over to my place so I could use my known working parts to rule out things and it was the RAM. Both sticks are broken to an epic degree. Both are defective so badly it can't boot at all, meaning it's so bad you can't even memtest them..lol

Get this, I contact Corsair to get a RMA # to get the modules replaced and they want me to pay to have the THEIR defective modules shipped back to them, in Cali! It's going to cost me damn near as much as it was to purchase the RAM in the first place! If they don't do something about that I am not buying anything from them ever again as that is just piss-poor support. I shouldn't have to pay to have their defective product replaced, everything should be on their bill.

Well problem solved.

He brought the PC over to my place so I could use my known working parts to rule out things and it was the RAM. Both sticks are broken to an epic degree. Both are defective so badly it can't boot at all, meaning it's so bad you can't even memtest them..lol

Get this, I contact Corsair to get a RMA # to get the modules replaced and they want me to pay to have the THEIR defective modules shipped back to them, in Cali! It's going to cost me damn near as much as it was to purchase the RAM in the first place! If they don't do something about that I am not buying anything from them ever again as that is just piss-poor support. I shouldn't have to pay to have their defective product replaced, everything should be on their bill.

Glad to hear its sorted - but why dont you just return it to the retailer you purchased from?