Alfa Romeo's reentry to the USA delayed...

360 miles, big whoop. :p

I have yet to hear of an Italian car making the run from Dallas to LA or vice versa, ~1400 miles, without breaking down. :p

Heck, last month, I helped push a Maserati Quattroporte off the road when the gearbox died. 5000 miles on it. Obvious trophy wife driving, too. :p

Yes, we can talk about reliability when Alfa Romeo builds an engine that regularly runs 100,000+ miles without breakdown only changing oil and filters.
but... but... :cry:

if we count driving pleasure per mile between breakdowns I win! :D And whats the fun of having a car that you never have to work on :p

but... but... :cry:

if we count driving pleasure per mile between breakdowns I win! :D And whats the fun of having a car that you never have to work on :p

I don't know about having to work on a car, thats no longer a plus. Blame it on people becoming feeble and weak, blame it on what you want, but sadly the game has changed, all we can hope for is that the good in the spirit of Alfa Romeo does not die with the changes the rest of the market has seen.

The myth that Italian cars are unreliable is bullshit, if maintained properly they are just as good as your average jap or german car. I have done 600kms in my 20 year old Lancia today, averaging 130km/h, it ran like a dream!

I agree with you here, on not just Italian cars, but any car. If it's cared for, and well maintained, generally, unless it's a lemon, it's gonna run great.

Yes, we can talk about reliability when Alfa Romeo builds an engine that regularly runs 100,000+ miles without breakdown only changing oil and filters.
The diesels Alfa put in their cars (and mine) do that easily.

Speaking of which, do AR engines burn a shitload of oil as standard or was the mi-to I followed last week broken already?

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

This sucks... I can't wait any longer... Guess I'll have to find an old giulia to build up and distract me til the new ones come out.

360 miles, big whoop. :p

I have yet to hear of an Italian car making the run from Dallas to LA or vice versa, ~1400 miles, without breaking down. :p

Heck, last month, I helped push a Maserati Quattroporte off the road when the gearbox died. 5000 miles on it. Obvious trophy wife driving, too. :p

My dad's Alfa has made it up and down California several times without a hiccup.

The myth that Italian cars are unreliable is bullshit

I've seen a ferarri 355 driving around with a belt (like, a pants-belt) replacing the actual fan (i think) belt, i've seen a lambroghini diablo launch off the line and immediedly burst with white smoke, i've never even SEEN a fiat. (Rusted away into nothingness?)

I want a new fiat one day, but italian cars are notorious for unreliability.

I've seen a couple 164s on the road up here in Washington so they aren't all that bad.

I've seen a ferarri 355 driving around with a belt (like, a pants-belt) replacing the actual fan (i think) belt, i've seen a lambroghini diablo launch off the line and immediedly burst with white smoke, i've never even SEEN a fiat. (Rusted away into nothingness?)

I want a new fiat one day, but italian cars are notorious for unreliability.

The myth that Italian cars are unreliable is bullshit, if maintained properly they are just as good as your average jap or german car.

When quoting quote my whole sentence, I highly doubt those examples you mentioned where maintained properly. As stated, my 20 year old Lancia has been meticulously maintained as long as I have owned it, and when treated the right way it runs like a dream both on long distance drives and when pushed to the limit.

Watch Jay Leno's videos about his italian cars, he talks about the topic and how italian cars have a undeserved bad rep.

Where that falls apart (no pun intended) was that I had an Alfa Romeo Spider Graduate. I did maintain it properly, and it just disintegrated anyway. :p

Put a new part in, chances were good that that same part would fail again within the month.

Nope, only the more prosaic ones:lol:

By the way, was the Maserati Biturbo considered reliable over there? Because the ones we got here were unmitigated piles of crap.

I have no idea, but I hardly think Maserati put any great emphasis on reliability anyway. It's not like their customers care.

Where that falls apart (no pun intended) was that I had an Alfa Romeo Spider Graduate. I did maintain it properly, and it just disintegrated anyway. :p

Put a new part in, chances were good that that same part would fail again within the month.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't you only have that car for about a month? I thought you never even really got to drive it due to its downtime.

A month or six weeks, I can't remember which. The farthest it ever went without breaking down was about 100 miles. And yeah, it did chew through the same parts over and over. The constant-fail Marelli ignition boxes were a particular annoyance.

I (and my wallet) were never so relieved as the day that thing left my fleet. The thing I remember most about it, other than the asinine shift lever positioning is the fact that I spent more time working on it than I did driving it. At least Jaguars usually achieved a 1:1 ratio of drive time to work time! :p

I think the Alfa haters should just leave this thread...