Where would you live?

Redliner

Y'all got any lamps?
DÖNER
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.
I was wondering yesterday: if you could choose which country to live in, ANY country, where would it be and why? Personally, I would like to live somewhere I could walk the streets with no fear of being robbed, where my house don't have to look like a fucking prison with tall walls and concertina wire, a place where my girlfriend can leave our home to go to college and I don't get worried about her getting robbed or raped or murdered while waiting for the bus. Sorry for the tone of this question, but I am truly getting fed up with this country, and I would like to know how it is to live in other places. :|

I don't think you will find that place anywhere. Melbourne, Australia has it fair share of problems but I think it less than New York or other places because we a so far away from anything.

I know other Melburians post here, so I would be keen to see how they feel.

I don't think you will find that place anywhere. Melbourne, Australia has it fair share of problems but I think it less than New York or other places because we a so far away from anything.

I know other Melburians post here, so I would be keen to see how they feel.

Most of the problems here seem to be exagerated by bored media (how seriously can I take the news when there 3rd story last night was a dog that had passed out next to some cats in a house fire was alledgedly "protecting them")

Then again I had no issues when I was in New York, I didn't feel unsafe at any time or anything like that.

I love the idea of a house in the country, all by itself - possibly overlooking a lake with a jetty of its own.

Then agin, I love the idea of living in a village with an active local community - so you know everyone and their names, there's a village pub and pool, and so on.

And then yet again I like living in the city, for convenience and because you're not entirely reliant on a car.

As for what type of house - I'd like to live above a pub (but not own it), or in a city apartment in a high-rise (with good views), or in a house all of my own, with wooden ceiling beams.

As for where, the Lake District, in England, or city centre of Bordeaux.

I don't know; I can see advantages to living in most places and assuming it's a nice place I wouldn't really mind where it is.

Though I live in the dorms here at University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Mi, the surrounding area is pretty cool. Tons of good places to eat, nice scenery and crime is relatively low (purse snatching now and then). The buses tend to run on schedule and lots of people use them, so you won't have to wait alone in a dark alley. Plus your girlfriend could go to U of M, which is the best school in the universe!

Though I live in the dorms here at University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Mi, the surrounding area is pretty cool. Tons of good places to eat, nice scenery and crime is relatively low (purse snatching now and then). The buses tend to run on schedule and lots of people use them, so you won't have to wait alone in a dark alley. Plus your girlfriend could go to U of M, which is the best school in the universe!

Only if she likes schools that lose to Division I teams.

Somewhere in the Mediterranean, right on the coast. I'll spend my fruitful days sitting on the porch of my beautiful oceanfront villa while palying flamenco guitar and tending to my olive patch to bask in the warm sun, right before an ungodly volcanic eruption blankets the entire island in several feet of searing volcanic ash and kills me. But I'd die a very happy man and that's what counts.

Last edited:
If not the United States then somewhere on Malta or the coast of Croatia.

I'm very happy with living where I do now - but if I had to choose somewhere else, the South Island of New Zealand would be very tempting - laid-back lifestyle, incredible scenery.

I have no urge to move anywhere. Not even to get away from the winter, I like the change.

Good question. Tough question, actually... I find southern Spain attractive, but I also find England and Vancouver attractive. All for different reasons, so it would be a tough choice.

Having said that, I'm pretty happy where I am already, too.

Where I went to college at Northern Michigan University there was almost no crime at all. You could walk the streets and never worry about getting mugged, raped, etc. as it's not a huge city, but a big enough town to have a decent sized college and culture. The police get bored because the majority of crime they have to deal with is traffic violations. It gets very cold though this time of year, so if you don't like snow it's not the place for you since they have about 6 months of winter. The scenery is great though, right on the coast of Lake Superior.

Last edited:
Armeria, Colima, Mexico

Peace, tranquility, and solidarity.

Also, there are never ending surf spots up and down the coast.
This is probably where I'll live the rest of my days once I retire.

Maybe there's one or two places more perfect than Vancouver, but I'd rather save myself the hassle of moving to a far flung location just so I can be at the top city. ;)

Seriously, there are most definitely more picturesque places on this planet... Vancouver though is not only beautiful but a relatively safe, friendly, comfortable and cheap city to live in as well.

Rankings aren't much, but for what they're worth, Vancouver competes with Zurich for the top two places on the list of the world's most liveable cities almost every year.

Rankings aren't much, but for what they're worth, Vancouver competes with Zurich for the top two places on the list of the world's most liveable cities almost every year.

Hey! we give you a run for the money most years :D

Hey! we give you a run for the money most years :D

Indeed we do.

Actually, according to the The Economist's World's Most Livable Cities 2008 Survey, Melbourne actually drew with Vancouver at the top of the list.

Last edited: