Do you like the SIARPC segments?

Do you like the SIARPC segments?

• Total voters
Just stop those rubbish two-person-interviews!!!

Although I'm not a native English speaker, so I don't get every word from the interviews, I think the SIARPC segment is still nice to watch.

So please keep it but only with ONE person. The two-person solution just doesn't work in this relatively small time slot and spending more time for the SIARPC wouldn't be any good...

I don't mind it if the guest is cool. I'm sort of in the middle with this question.

I mean there are those that want it scrapped and I agree with them but only when the guest is rubbish. Then there are those that argue that it cannot be scrapped and I agree with them also... if the guest isn't rubbish.

I'd agree with this entirely. I think the problem with SIARPC is that a) series 11's doubling up didn't work at all, having the dual function of killing dead people like Rob Brydon, James Corden and Justin Lee Collins who are normally hilarious, and also of taking up too much of the show, and b) that sometimes people who I would have thought would be quite interesting have turned out to be crap, and vice versa, you don't know until you get them in the chair and by then it's too late, you have to show it.

I do think they really need to make sure it's not getting longer, even if that means cutting more and making it a bit choppy.

Does anyone know how long the average segment is, and how it's changed over the years?

I'd agree with this entirely. I think the problem with SIARPC is that a) series 11's doubling up didn't work at all, having the dual function of killing dead people like Rob Brydon, James Corden and Justin Lee Collins who are normally hilarious, and also of taking up too much of the show, and b) that sometimes people who I would have thought would be quite interesting have turned out to be crap, and vice versa, you don't know until you get them in the chair and by then it's too late, you have to show it.

I do think they really need to make sure it's not getting longer, even if that means cutting more and making it a bit choppy.

Does anyone know how long the average segment is, and how it's changed over the years?

How do you kill a dead person? ;) Or more to the point how do you kill a person without them ending up being dead? :?

As for the timing you should find the info you are looking for on

http://forums.finalgear.com/top-gear/extra-guest-costs-how-much-30118/

I will normally skip through these segments unless I recognize the star.

When Patrick Stewart was on, I watched, and was glad I did because he started talking about a particular stretch of Sunset Blvd that is right near my house as being one of the few great places to drive in LA! So that was pretty cool to see. I'll also watch whenever its someone with a shot at setting a very fast lap time; Simon Cowell, Gordon Ramsay, Jay Kay, etc. But again, these are people who are recognizable to an American audience anyway.

As a non-UK person, you would think that as far as the SIARPC segments go, I would only be interested in guests that I recognized. Sometimes it's true, but more often than not it isn't. I'd rather gouge my eyes out than watch Cowell or Geri Halliwell, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching Ladyman, even though I really don't know who he is; mostly due to the roasting he was willing to go through. I have no clue who Lawrence Dallaglio is, but I know he was a damn sight more interesting to watch than Christian Slater.

I agree that guests ought to be vetted a bit better, and the car history in particular should be looked at. I like the idea of getting more "closet petrolheads" outed a bit. Especially in this era where it's fashionable to bash cars.

Depends on the guest. I generally like it, but in the last season or two I found myself skipping trhough it.

Reactions: MWF
Depends on the guest. I generally like it, but in the last season or two I found myself skipping trhough it.

Right, me too -- and I think it's because lately for some reason they haven't managed to get anyone with broad appeal.

The whole dual-star thing they tried in the most recent series didn't do it for me at all. I would invariably fast-forward as soon as I'd hear the two names that I'd never heard before.

SIARPC can be funny and interesting, but if the star is too obscure or the interview runs too long, it becomes much harder to watch.

Not to mention the Australian version... the UK version at least has a chance at getting someone big who has broad appeal. I'm afraid the Aussies probably don't have the budget or the cachet at this point.

I'm non UK and generally I like it. Some of the guests aren't that interesting or are a bit full of themselves, but I thoroughly enjoy the ones who joke around and get fully into it. The comedians are always good (Jimmy Carr, Rob Brydon, Steve Coogan) and there are some good surprises (I never thought I'd say I like anything that Hugh Grant and James Blunt do, but they were entertaining).

It's a tough one, it breaks up the program nicely but only nicely if the guest has some quality. It looks like Parky is a good start for this series, but I'm not keeping my hopes up for a lot of good guests.

I generally don?t like it that much but it really depends on the guest. For example Micheal Gambon?s second interview is one of the best things ever in the show. So meh for me.

Only the ones with rockstars and their stories of hedonism

If anyone is going along the lines of "Uhh im Ummericane ann uhhh i dunnnow any of the duuudes" that's plain ignorance for you, in case you wondered what it is but couldn be bothered to look it up.

So far i declare these people cool:
budgieishere, DaBoom, deathrazor, ESPNSTI, fbc, fluke667, Goob, halllo_fireball, klankymen, Mr. Nice, oxyd, Seasonone, skylock, TAL7, TopGearManiac, WellsieTRD

Depends on the guest and the topic. I reckon the best interviews are when the guests are talking about their car histories, car-related life defining moments, the anorak discussions about some little known aspect of their particular favourite make/model, the drives they've done etc. The best interview IMHO of the last series is the bit that didn't make it to air (the Jay Kay clip on TG.com).

I understand that sometimes in order to get people to potentially embarass themselves on national television is to give them the opportunity to plug whatever it is that they are trying to flog, but some of them should have just had the plug pulled before they even got onto the track. And the two at once? No. Really, just no.

If anyone is going along the lines of "Uhh im Ummericane ann uhhh i dunnnow any of the duuudes" that's plain ignorance for you, in case you wondered what it is but couldn't be bothered to look it up.

That's true. I would be watching some epi' with my dad, and he'd go "Who the heck is that?". Then the day after, he'd go "Eh, did you know Jay Kay was a musician? Wow!"

Google's a very good thing, sometimes. :lol:

I'm from the US and I think I've only known 10 of the guests so far but I don't mind as long they talk about car-related things. Coogan is probably my favorite guest cause hes funny and a petrol head. I think it would be better if they chatted a bit less though. The segment seems a minute or two too long.

I could take it or leave it, really. It's generally the segment I'm least interested in, but that said, there have definitely been some SIARPCs that I've enjoyed. Stephen Fry, Lionel Richie, Carr & JLC, Simon Pegg, David Soul, Joanna Lumley, David Tennant...I'm sure there's others I'm forgetting. Given that I'm not a fan of James Blunt's music, I found him surprisingly charming during his interview.

The guests I've been really interested in add up to maybe a quarter of the whole list at most. If SIARPC disappeared, say, today, I wouldn't miss it overly much...though I'd mourn the lost chance for some really cool potential guests, like Hugh Laurie or Chris Barrie.

If they're hot or have a reasonably functioning personality then I don't mind it at all, although there have been exceptions to that rule (Jordan :rolleyes:).

If they're hot or have a reasonably functioning personality then I don't mind it at all, although there have been exceptions to that rule (Jordan :rolleyes:).

Don't diss Miss Price. If Viper catches you then you could be in all kinds of trouble. Viper has a wee "thing" for Jordan, except I understand it isn't such a wee wee-wee when she is on his mind if you get my drift. ;)

If you have death wish then get an old beater pickup and drive through Alabama with "Man Love Rules OK" written down the side in pink paint. :D

Honestly, it depends very much on the guest and how into cars they are.

I've never heard of Kate Middleton, but hearing her remark about being allowed to take charge of a car on her own -- Jeremy's reaction to that pretty much made the segment. I've never seen Gavin & Stacey, but I totally sympathized with the fat guy complaining about using a manual. And I really liked the bickering with the Dragon's Den duo.

Future? Well, now that Gillian Anderson's had her baby, I think she (and David Duchovny) would be a perfect duo for the segment. Dunno if they've finished taping this season's House yet, but if Hugh Laurie's free it'd be nice if he and Stephen Fry were to appear together. Rowan Atkinson and Tony Robinson. Sir Jackie Stewart with a current F1 driver.

One other thing: once this series concludes, it may be time for a new Reasonably Priced Car (the Liana was retired after four years, and the Lacetti completes its fourth year after this one). Any guesses what should replace it?