NBC Still Snubbing Top Gear US

The TV season really just got started here. Nothing will happen until January or Febuary, during the middle of the season.

Discovery Channel would be a far better network for this than NBC.

^ I'm not so sure I agree.

I feel like the success of US Top Gear depends on having the least amount of commercials possible. Can the Discovery Channel really do that? Or would a network television station be more able to have less commercial interruptions?

The success of TG America depends on not just the least allotted time for commercials (none at all in a perfect world), but on no influence whatsoever from sponsors. If every TG America episode is going to have blatant product placement in every other camera shot, or some stupid "aftermarket accessory of the week", then the entire show's concept is compromised and TG America will be D.O.A. At which point, you might as well hand the show over to the desperate sponsor-whore Bob-Villa-style dorks over on Horsepower TV. As I said, in my opinion this has more to do with the creative integrity of different stations and networks and not so much on the actual amount of commercial time.

One second thought, scratch what I said about Discovery. Perhaps HBO would be an even better platform for something like this. Sure not everyone will automatically get this in their basic cable package, but at least there'd be no commercials. Maybe HBO's subscription numbers would go up, and everyone knows that HBO has some of the best no-BS no-holds-barred TV series out there (Sopranos anyone? Classic). I know that's a total pipe dream, but it's nice to make-believe.

Last edited:
I like the HBO idea myself. It would allow them to make a TG with proper swearing!:mrgreen: As far as NBC goes, I thought that part of the reason they're airing the ridiculous Knight Rider show was to test the waters to see if people would once again be interest in a show about cars. They've tried this before and failed miserably. They aired a show called Viper in the 90's. Guess what that was about? Then they (Universal, who owns most of NBC) produced a show called Team Knight Rider full of Fords, but they aired it on UPN. That at least made it 3 seasons. But it hasn't been since the 80's that a show about a car(s) was successful stateside. Maybe that's what NBC fears.

Even so, I can't understand why they'd be afraid to try. If it fails, so what? Lots of shows don't make it out of the first season. The only reason I can think of why they wouldn't try is they know to make the show good and something that would appeal to us on finalgear (let's face it, they ARE counting on our opinion for whether or not to move forward), they's have to spend as much if not more than the BBC does on the shoots and the cameras and effects and everything, and if you spend that much money and you still fail, NBC execs will have a lot of people to answer to.

If that is true, then NBC needs to grow a fricking spine. The concept is proven. Even the Australian port of the show is entertaining and starting to come together. And can a US TV network really play 2nd fiddle to the Russians? I'd never let them live it down. If NBC doesn't want the show, give it to someone that does. I promise there are networks out there that would pick it up.

^ I've been saying it should be on HBO for the longest time, just because it would be the only way to do it with no influence from sponsors, zero commercials, and no censoring. It's the closest thing we can get to the BBC, except for the no censoring. Plus it wouldn't matter at all if they offend anyone.

Shame it will never happen.

Is bias that big a problem here? Honestly, the original UK version which is on a publicly funded network is in itself a very biased show.

Much of it probably has to do with Clarkson himself, but it's still a very, very, very biased show as much as I love it. So I don't think it's that big a deal if they've got sponsors who might influence their views a little bit.

Last edited:
As for the sponsor-whores Rokovak mentioned above why not let NBC sell the add time as limited commercial interruptions like FOX has done with their Fringe premier this season? The only sticking point is that NO automotive related companies can advertise during the first 4 episodes. This gives the show a chance to develop without the viewer feeling they are watching an infomercial for a car company. There have to be some major companies out there like Coke, Kraft, or Panasonic willing to pick up the tab for a short run of shows. Or the network could have a different sponsor for each of the first 4 shows.

Honestly, the only thing I will not accept for example is that a review of a Ford Mustang is followed by an extended commercial break from "our sponsor Ford." If the advert is for say Hyundai, no problem. Just try to make it seem like the show is not paid for my car company X when reviewing a car from that same company. I fully expect the hosts to show bias for a specific brand or model, much like the intrepid trio on TGUK.

The NBC lineup is packed to the brim right now. I get the feeling that they might be holding off on TGUS until ER has ended its final season. Then they could move Heroes, Medium, or Chuck in to the Thursday slot vacated by ER and free up a slot for TGUS on Mondays. I doubt TG would get the Thursday slot as that has historically been for their heavy hitters. I hope I am wrong, though, as that would mean a longer wait for TGUS.

Also, all of the talk about sponsors preventing them from being critical of cars is a little overblown IMO. Sponsors care about their marketing no matter where they are, be it the US or the UK, and I don't see any problems with Fifth Gear saying they don't like a car. Maybe it is true that they will not be able to be as brutal as TG but I don't think you need that for it to be entertaining and successful.

Companies can be real pains in the arse about what is said about thier products. Can you imagine Gm, Ford or Chrysler paying to run ads during a car show that doesn't feature thier car? Unless something like the Mustang where to get a terrible review, then GM and Chrysler would be outbiding each other to get the ad for thier new musclecar into the ad space that immidiately follows the review.

I honestly see more value for car polishes and tires, etc,etc., than cars advertising during the show.

It's an American network, I wouldn't hold my breath on anything. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if TG USA just disappeared all together without any explanation or airing of material.

That's just what they do over at these studios. They were put on this Earth to senselessly and without any logic commission shit and cancel worthy programs.

And you know what, I've never thought about this, but how does a car program even fit into NBC's primetime schedule? It's a little weird seeing stuff other than serials and stupid reality 'shows' on American primetime TV. Sure in the UK Top Gear is now a full blown entertainment program, but for US viewers I'm guessing it would just come across as a nerdy car show, which would be very weird to see during primetime.

Typical Canadians, when will they learn all thier TV shows fucking suck.

Is bias that big a problem here? Honestly, the original UK version which is on a publicly funded network is in itself a very biased show.

Much of it probably has to do with Clarkson himself, but it's still a very, very, very biased show as much as I love it. So I don't think it's that big a deal if they've got sponsors who might influence their views a little bit.

Well it's one thing to have the hosts being personally biased and another to have the show being biased because of the sponsors.

Well it's one thing to have the hosts being personally biased and another to have the show being biased because of the sponsors.

Why? The end result is the same - biased reviews.

Why? The end result is the same - biased reviews.

Because one is a personal opinion (which in this case the viewers actually care about and a large part of the show's appeal is based upon), and the other is just some regurgitated half-truth from your typical PR monkeys.

Yes, both are biased, but one is from a perspective which most likely doesn't have any ulterior motives except to praise/criticize the car for its real worth, while the other just wants to sell more cars.

Because one is a personal opinion (which in this case the viewers actually care about and a large part of the show's appeal is based upon), and the other is just some regurgitated half-truth from your typical PR monkeys.

Yes, both are biased, but one is from a perspective which most likely doesn't have any ulterior motives except to praise/criticize the car for its real worth, while the other just wants to sell more cars.

Fair points, but the viewer is still going to get biased points of view from the presenters.

Top Gear UK have promoted the same biases, positive and negative, since the start of the series. If any buyers are actually being swayed by these shows then they're not going to get totally honest reviews regardless of whether the show has sponsors or not.

I still don't think TG really belongs on NBC though, it's not mainstream enough.

I've always had a fear that Top Gear USA could become a sort of more entertaining Motor Week if the advertisers get their way. I have my doubts of whether TGA will go down well during prime time television hours.

If it's that bad it will end up in the trash. I watch Motor Week when I can't sleep. Better than a sleeping pill any day.

Knowing NBC, they probably want to market and hype the shit out of it before you can get a scent of what it's really like. If it's coming, they're not going to quietly insert it into their lineup - they'll advertise heavily months in advance and make sure anybody who watches tv knows its coming.

I've always had a fear that Top Gear USA could become a sort of more entertaining Motor Week if the advertisers get their way. I have my doubts of whether TGA will go down well during prime time television hours.

That is straight where its headed. Plus some NASCAR thrown in.

That is straight where its headed. Plus some NASCAR thrown in.

Hah, not if Adam Carolla has anything to say about him. Download any of his podcasts that Viper posted in this forum, and you'll see that the guy detests NASCAR to the very depths of its pushrod heart.