Clarkson vs. May on tea and coffee:fight!

Coffee in the morning and chai in the evening for me...

Jezza said:
And chai tea? Have you tried that? Well, don?t ? because you can achieve exactly the same effect, for a lot less, by drinking your own urine.

:lol:

And it is coffee all the way for me. With or without milk. And never sugar.

Tea all the way. And none of that Liptons' yellow label nonsense that the rest of the world seems to think is drinkable
Coffee is foul swampwater flavoured with the devil's toenail clippings

Last edited:
Herbal tea is for communists and anarchists. Because they believe all proper tea is theft.

I'll get my coat........

Tea, all of the way. Coffee is hilariously repulsive.
Since I'm in a high school, it's come to the point in one's life where you, under some sort of birth rite, must carry around a Starbucks/Tim Horton's cup full of revolting 'Caf? Am?ricano' or 'Double-doubles'.
Then when it's done, all they go on about is "My coffee, where is it? God, man, I need to strike up some cash to go down to Timmie's!"
They sound like raging hobos with a crack addiction.
I sit and laugh. Then sip on my tea. ^_^

Last edited:
Caw-fee all the way for me, i was sipping a cup when i read the articles.

Vote for POWERR, not Pooonnncneeee! A vote for coffee is a vote for America Britain!

Edit: Why the hell do we not have the strike command?

I drink one cup of coffee when I get up (usually the higher-grade instant coffee) and a few cups of tea, followed by a hot chocolate (made like coffee but substituting cocoa for coffee) when it gets late.
The thing I like about tea is that there are a lot of varieties of it, but I agree with Jeremy that it would be a time-consuming beverage to prepare for guests.

Herbal tea is for communists and anarchists. Because they believe all proper tea is theft.

I'll get my coat........

She's here all week folks!

I enjoy my coffee but I have to be careful about how much because since the last time I quit smoking I have become rather more sensitive to caffeine. Two cups in a morning is enough - three and I get the jitters which is not pleasant. Then I switch to tea until 6pm aka Beer O'Clock!

Any more votes for beer?

:cheers:

Now here's a theory

Now here's a theory

Okay - here's a theory I've been carrying around for a few years that seems obvious in hindsight but I feel has yet to receive the recognition, research and royalties it deservers:

For decades, "taste leaders" in society have been smokers, smokers damage their taste-buds something rotten and need a completely different flavour map to find a taste exceptional than non-smokers. A smoker detects no flavour at all until it is strong/bitter/harsh above and beyond the essence of 3 day old ash-tray.

Traditional drinks: bitter, red wine (old style, heavy tanin), espresso coffee - all harsh flavours to the non-smoker, but ideally balanced for the smoker.

I believe that any review of food or drink should be accompanied by the declaration of whether the reviewer is a smoker or not.

The preference for lighter beers in the US, for Robert Parker style fruitier wines than the old French standards, for lattes over espressos, all an indication that fashion/taste setters in the US over the past 20-30 years have been more health conscious so non-smoker compared to European equivalents.

As it happens, I am a non-smoker and after many years of practise have taught my taste buds to enjoy bitter/espresso (it was the social pressure I tell you), but I think I thoroughly deserve a research grant to perform extensive taste tests on US and European fine food and finer wine, and then to report back here when my eyes uncross, my weight dips back below the quarter ton and my nose stops shining in the dark a la Rudolph.

Genius I tell you, genius (now where's my Igor?)

Crash

Black coffee all the way. I shun senseos though. Damn devil machines.

Okay - here's a theory I've been carrying around for a few years that seems obvious in hindsight but I feel has yet to receive the recognition, research and royalties it deservers:

For decades, "taste leaders" in society have been smokers, smokers damage their taste-buds something rotten and need a completely different flavour map to find a taste exceptional than non-smokers. A smoker detects no flavour at all until it is strong/bitter/harsh above and beyond the essence of 3 day old ash-tray.

Traditional drinks: bitter, red wine (old style, heavy tanin), espresso coffee - all harsh flavours to the non-smoker, but ideally balanced for the smoker.

I believe that any review of food or drink should be accompanied by the declaration of whether the reviewer is a smoker or not.

The preference for lighter beers in the US, for Robert Parker style fruitier wines than the old French standards, for lattes over espressos, all an indication that fashion/taste setters in the US over the past 20-30 years have been more health conscious so non-smoker compared to European equivalents.

As it happens, I am a non-smoker and after many years of practise have taught my taste buds to enjoy bitter/espresso (it was the social pressure I tell you), but I think I thoroughly deserve a research grant to perform extensive taste tests on US and European fine food and finer wine, and then to report back here when my eyes uncross, my weight dips back below the quarter ton and my nose stops shining in the dark a la Rudolph.

Genius I tell you, genius (now where's my Igor?)

Crash

I quite like your theory except..
I have never smoked but would much rather drink a decent full-bodied bitter (twigs optinal) or a properly oaked tannin filled red wine. And I loathe coffee.
Also Mr Clarkson - a smoker and coffee drinker - likes a nice crisp white wine and prefers lager to real beer.

That said, I would be happy to participate in your research and share in the hefty grant you hope to receive. Shall we be testing cheeses and and other complex flavours too....? ;)

Tea is for poofs.

Tea is why England got it's ass kicked by some upstart farmers.
English Diet - Tea and cakes and the occasional bit of gin.
American Diet - Black coffee, straight whiskey, and whatever we can kill and eat.

Who would you bet on?

As for you philistines who think coffee is inherently bitter, you're wrong. Coffee, proper coffee, isn't bitter at all. It's a rich and full drink with complex flavors. Coffee is bitter if it's (a) the wrong kind of coffee - Robusta rather than the far superior Arabica (b) over roasted or (c) improperly brewed. The problem is that most people get their coffee from large chain stores like Starbucks and that is the last place you go for a good cup of coffee. Coffee is like wine in many ways, you can taste the subtlety of flavors depending on the beans, the roast, how much sun the plants got, the content of the soil, when it was ground, and how it was brewed.

Anonymous neg-repper: Grow a set of balls and a sense of humor!

Last edited:
"Herbal tea is for nonces." :lol:

And those of us who get stomach cramps from black tea. :p

Damn, I miss my Earl Grey, though.

EDIT: And I'm a non-smoker. And I like my beer with twigs in it. ;)

Last edited:
Clarkson made a point about French and Italian banks, out of curiosity, what do Germans drink in the morning? Because those sons of a bitches are damn good drivers/chassi tuners. Any Germans wanna chip in?

Coffee, Coffee, Coffee and some Coffee. Our economy would pretty soon collapse without coffee, average consumption for all germans is 4 cups per day.

Tea is for poofs.

Tea is why England got it's ass kicked by some upstart farmers.
English Diet - Tea and cakes and the occasional bit of gin.
American Diet - Black coffee, straight whiskey, and whatever we can kill and eat.

Who would you bet on?

As for you philistines who think coffee is inherently bitter, you're wrong. Coffee, proper coffee, isn't bitter at all. It's a rich and full drink with complex flavors. Coffee is bitter if it's (a) the wrong kind of coffee - Robusta rather than the far superior Arabica (b) over roasted or (c) improperly brewed. The problem is that most people get their coffee from large chain stores like Starbucks and that is the last place you go for a good cup of coffee. Coffee is like wine in many ways, you can taste the subtlety of flavors depending on the beans, the roast, how much sun the plants got, the content of the soil, when it was ground, and how it was brewed.

A lot of very good coffee is a blend of arabica and robusta, its not just the species, there are a lot of other factors.