Looking for a new mobile phone can anyone help ?

Ice_warmer

if i sign a contract for another year with vodafone i get these phones at rather good prices:

but what i need is: good battery life, quality pics and videos(wich i think all have) and i need the shortest ammount of time spent loading the video camera and the actual start of recording, and good signal, oh and almost forgot, probably not the most improtant but still ... low SAR value, mp3 player

Nokia N95 149?

+ Great camera video+foto
- Short battery life
- That thing that they call GPS, i've heard it actually get's your position thorugh GPRS wich isn't precise, plus you have to pay to use it.

nokia-n95-02.jpg

Sony Ericsson W910 119?

+ kinda nice desgin, rather small
+ sony people say walkman, me say good
- doesn't have same features as others

obviosuly i'm not going to get the red one
sonyericsson-w910-00.jpg

Motorola RAZR2 V8 179?

+ clearly the looker of the lot
- open the clam shell and it's HUGE
+ i have a motorola, so not much getting use to

it's bigger than it looks
motorola_razr2_v8_00.jpg

Sony Ericsson K810 169?

+ it kinda has a quality feel to it
- i've heard sony-ericsson joy sticks break often
+ camera

sonyericsson-k810-00.jpg

anyone got any past experiences with these friends, hear stuff on the magical internet ?

n95 is a good phone which you can pick up on good value due to being on run out atm and it does have a proper gps in the phone it just uses assisted gps to find your postion slightly quicker. but if you can get a n95 8gb the battery issues where pretty much cleaned up

W910i is a great phone even though it doesnt have the same features as the n95 it has a slick interface and they are very reliable

V9 is a great phone basic but good yet to miss a beat and its the phone i brought for my mum and i wouldn't buy anything crap

K810 we dont sell at work so i cant give you my thoughts on doesnt look to bad spec wise

other phones to look at are the LG vewity (ku990), LG Renoir and Samsung omnia (i900)all are touch phones with 5-8mp camera. Nokia 6220c is a nice phone with out the size of the n95 but still with the gps and 5mp camera, bare in mind all nokias now run nokia maps as instead of route 66 this means annual licensing fees

Featurewise, for the price, I dont think you can beat the n95. Yeah, its old as far as tech goes (18 months now, I think), but there are still only about 5 or 6 phones out that I would say are better than it. Personally, Im fond of windows mobile phones, but unless you like to hack and tinker, Id forget about it. Out of the box, they suck.

W910 ftw

I have an older Sony "walkman" phone and it kicks other phone/mp3 player's asses (or batteries)

The N95 does seem to have some of the worst build quality of the phones there. If your a gadget freak like me, your probably better off with the N95, though I do suggeest you try to get an N96. The V9 is a really decent phone, but It just doesn't have enough features to "wow" me in any sort of way. Same goes for the W910,an the rather dated K810.

N95 8gb FTMFW!

It's been 2 weeks since I got mine, and I'm loving it.

bestest phone eva!!!111! And you don't have to pay for GPS, go search for cracked S60 v3 applications on google and you will be amazed on how you can play around with your N95

You can knock the N95 out straight away if you want good battery life. The N95's battery life is terrible.

i;m going for these phones because their on offer, i can't get a n95 8 gb for 150 euros, though i am going to go to my operator and see if i can try out for a few mintues these phones, thanks for the replies

You can knock the N95 out straight away if you want good battery life. The N95's battery life is terrible.

3 days stand by time is good enough for me.

No problem with my N95 8Gb, battery life time isn't that bad at all, and I do quite a fair amount of browsing and GPS with it.

madcow do you pay for the gps function ?

oh and another thing, these phones are offer and price wise were attractive.

damit i have to make up my mind because my current phone won't recharge anymore :(

just more opinions i need:

is the n95 battery that bad ?
the w910 has some lower quality pics
v8 video recording is dreadful
and the k810 the only thing i know is that it's rather old

edit found a new phone from my operator

nokia n81 stand-by up to 17 days, wow, talk time only 4h
nokia-n81_002.jpg

Last edited:
Dont pay extra for the 8gb version. I recently got a 8gb microSD card for about $25 shipped off of ebay. A legit Sandisk, not a chinese copy. Just buy a microsd card. Also look for a free program called Joikuspot. If you have an unlimited data plan, it will turn your phone into a wifi hotspot.

8gb n95 doesn't have a camera lens and the regular one does.

decide to go an buy a n95 the other day, and was surprised to find out that there are none in stock.

meh, i need to remake the list damn it

In terms of price and features, the N95 wins hands down. I really want to pick one up when they get cheaper.

I have an N95 8GB and love it. There are a few great free apps out there for it like FlipSilent and Adnota Geotaggin camera. DivX Mobile got me through some long waits in airports as well. Works brilliantly with my home Wi-Fi.

Having said the SE phones generally have better audio capabilities and are much slimmer.

Good luck with your choice and hope this helped.

thing is the n95 was a steal at 149 euros, though many people found out that before me, and now have to go for something else, first that came to my mind was the w595/w910 that have an interesting app that somehow measures your steps, that i thinnk is great :D. but i have a fixation with sar values, and the sony's have about 1.0 W/kg wich i think is too much, on my moto v535 and i get 0.8 and it's a 4 year old phone.

though still undecide, managed to make my old phone work, though if i accidentaly put the charger in the wrong position in the slot in my phone i have to waste another 15 minutes of my life

In terms of price and features, the N95 wins hands down. I really want to pick one up when they get cheaper.

I just got one off eBay for ?110 (as much as I like my viewty, I need a physical keypad).

Which is mad, really, as you can sell them on, second hand, to phone recycling websites for ?115.

I have an N95 and am very happy with it.

The only thing I can think of that I don't like about it is that it is not a small phone, its quite chunky.

madcow do you pay for the gps function ?

oh and another thing, these phones are offer and price wise were attractive.

damit i have to make up my mind because my current phone won't recharge anymore :(

just more opinions i need:

is the n95 battery that bad ?
the w910 has some lower quality pics
v8 video recording is dreadful
and the k810 the only thing i know is that it's rather old

edit found a new phone from my operator

nokia n81 stand-by up to 17 days, wow, talk time only 4h
nokia-n81_002.jpg

No, you don't pay for the GPS function. There are loads of GPS programs online that you can download for free.

Right now I'm using :

TomTom Nav
Garmin XT Nav
Nokia Map 2.0
and PapaGo

and trust me, you WONT go wrong with a N95 8Gb, BUY IT! you wont regret it. There are loads of S60 apps for the SymbianOS, meaning that there is a whole world out there for the S60 fans, you will have no problem trying to find help or apps for your phone (provided that you can google well enough :p )

And the N95 8Gb's battery is sufficent enough, it lasts me 2 to 3 days with a bit of odd gaming and music every now and then. Honestly, it's the best phone I've ever used.

GPS Function : 10/10
5MP Camera : 8/10
Audio / Video Calling : 10/10
SymbianOS Interface : 9/10
User Friendly : 8/10

the only thing I'm not happy about is the camera lens, they removed the protective lens cover from the prev-gen N95 in order to accomodate a new battery due to demand (IIRC)

Last edited: