[12x01] November 2nd, 2008

[12x01] November 2nd, 2008

• Total voters
hey guys has this been posted yet?

"BBC acknowledged it has received more than 500 complaints about an unsavory joke made by another of its leading presenters.

The complaints were about Jeremy Clarkson joking on his popular TV auto show Top Gear about truck drivers killing prostitutes, the British broadcaster said. "

link

didn't know it was true:?

Yeah, there's a whole thread about it.

Gave this one an 8. Great return for the Top Gear boys, starting things off with a challenge off the bat.

Part of it seemed a little off-pace for some reason, not exactly sure why. I can't put my finger on it. I think it may have been the Porsche GT2/Lambo review. Something about it seemed off.

I think Parky more than made up for it though. That was fun to watch. :)

And to be honest I thought the grandma-dog-kid-driving-thing wasn't done at high quality Top Gear standards - maybe they should have done fake lorry chrashes instead of really obvious fake wheel turning.

It was obvious that they wanted it to look fake, especially with the kid. Maybe to keep kids at home from trying it, but more likely as an in-joke about people screaming FAKE!!! at film/tv special effects and TG as a whole ;)

First post, so hello everybody!

I guess this was the first time ever that i was REALLY dissapointed about a Topgear episode. I gave it a 3\10.

As others have stated, too much obviously and cheap scripted stuff, and the "review" at the beginning which i usually like very much was just dumb and unfair in my eyes.

I hope they don?t continue in that way and go a step back to the roots...

Cheers,
Koki

"BBC acknowledged it has received more than 500 complaints about an unsavory joke made by another of its leading presenters.

The complaints were about Jeremy Clarkson joking on his popular TV auto show Top Gear about truck drivers killing prostitutes, the British broadcaster said. "

it's been all over the net! even on facebook!

Well, people still complain about scripted stuff. Big whoop, we had a poll and 50% said, we want comedy, and 50% said we want proper car tests.
This is still somewhere in the middle. They are listening to us! After the Caravan Ep they stopped overscripting, and even I say (voted for car tests on the aforementioned poll) its alright the way it is. Damn funny, not serious, full on Top Gear.
Gave it a 9/10, it was only the first of a 10 ep (?) run...

Still I would love to know the destroyingly great time the GT2 obviously did. Jezza: you just gotta learn how to drive!

does anybody have a google earth location and view of the test track (lorries) from this episode?

that was quick, cheers mate :)
the show - good start to a great series. cannot wait for some boats, thoroughbreds and italy.
and i dunno whats all the fuss with some lorry drivers "protesting" or something, the guys showed how being a lorryist is not so easy. well, there's always the stupid people. the day when no moron is protesting top gear - it means the show is boring.

Anybody knows what was the lap time of the GT2 ? I'm not buying one tomorrow if it's slower than the Lambo.

Anyone else went on youtube to watch Parkinson's interview with Meg Ryan immediately after viewing TG?

I thought Parkinson started the interview on the wrong foot. And of course from then, Meg went all sensitive and defensive.

Btw, great TG ep. can't wait for the next one!

Yup I did. And I also felt that Parkinson handled the interview really badly. He was getting all serious and philosophical with Meg Ryan. She is just an actress; these questions would have been better served to the writer or the director of the movie. Meg Ryan was initially trying to be all intellectual but then realised that the questions were way beyond her capacity. She could hardly finish her sentences afterwards. Highly uncomfortable.

I don't know why jeremy is enemy to porsche??:mad: his reviews about porsche are rubbish.

I don't know why jeremy is enemy to porsche??:mad: his reviews about porsche are rubbish.

There is some balance within the Top Gear crew regarding Porsche, in particular the 911, James and Richard love them. It isn't as if Top Gear have ignored Porsche either .... in the excellent excel spreadsheet of Top Gear Episodes (which I can't find the link for but ends at series 9), there are 59 references to Porsche (news, reviews, comparisons, challenges) ..... they have done the 911 so many times, I thought Jeremy's 20 seconds of screaming was quite enough of a review on this occasion. :p

The Meg Ryan interview - it started with a misunderstanding (each of them differently understood what romance means i think) and then just got worse. Parky made a valid point though - if you don't like the spotlight, why be a movie star. sorry for OT

Nice episode, I gave it an 8. :)

Serving as a long range recon patrol radioman in the Finnish army at the moment, I couldn't resist finding out if the Stig's morse code had any joke in it and i decoded it. ;) It's faster than I can catch live, but after a few listenings I got it all.

The first one was "melikecheese" and the second "strictlyiscrap" :D

Actually, JC is always laughing about James for not turning of the ESP. Well maybe he shouldn't turn it off as well, as it is proved that he doesn't know how to drive. Just an example - here a vid of the 911 GT2 driven - with PSM = ESP - at full throttle through corners ( 1:50) without having to do anything at the wheel.

[YOUTUBE]http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=uvpMwtEPp30[/YOUTUBE]

I wouldn't have a problem with a cocksterish GT2 review, but that one was just cheap...

Good video and i agree. Jeremy has been off the ball of late. His thriller film is a good example. It seems like he likes paddle box transmissions now and hates manuals.

I really want to know what the GT2 did as it is a fantastic car.

btw...Walter Rohrl is so amazing.

Seems The Sun has read this thread :lol:

Check this out: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/article1908010.ece

MOTORING show Top Gear has been secretly poking fun at Strictly Come Dancing ? in Morse code.

Jibes were broadcast last week in dot-dash beeps dubbed over the soundtrack to the show, hosted by Jeremy Clarkson.

As mystery racing driver The Stig hurtled around a track in a Lamborghini, the message was tapped out: ?Strictly Come Dancing is crap?. Another spelt out: ?I love cheese?.

The jokes went unnoticed by most viewers ? but were picked up by Morse code geeks.

One said: ?I know Morse code when I hear it so I played it back and worked out what they were saying. It?s typical Top Gear to slag off Strictly ? can you imagine Clarkson in a sequined top??

:lol: ^That is so Top Gear. Just in case you've forgotten where the great British sense of humor has disappeared to.

Cudos to you all the same for getting the second message. I sat here for half an hour trying to input those messages into this translator and got nothing but gobbledegoop.
That was the second hit when I put "morse code" into Google. Presumably it's confused by the background noise of the engine and Jezza twittering all over it.

I want that spectrogram that DrLex has been using.

BTW, your sig reads "strictly is cral" ;)
Perkele!

Fixed it now. Never was any good with Morse.

Seems The Sun has read this thread :lol:
...they can't have been reading too closely!

As mystery racing driver The Stig hurtled around a track in a Lamborghini, the message was tapped out: ?Strictly Come Dancing is crap?. Another spelt out: ?I love cheese?.
Wrong on both counts. That's just sloppy journalism. Then again, I expect little more from the Sun...

The jokes went unnoticed by most viewers ? but were picked up by Morse code geeks.
As it was always going to be.

The production team must have known that one of us *cough* would try to decode it, however unsuccessfully, and if they keep on going like this we're going to end up with an endless string of dots and dashes that reads something like:

Arthur Smith in Red Dwarf: "Backwards" said:
You are a stupid, square-headed, balt git, aren't you? I'm pointing at you, I'm pointing at you, but I'm not addressing you, I'm addressing the one prat in this country who's bothered to get hold of this recording, turn it round and work out the rubbish that I'm saying! What a poor, sad life he's got!
By the time I managed to get hold of that recording and turn it round it was a simple means of clicking "Reverse" in whatever Creative Labs .wav recording program I was using at the time. In 1989, it would have taken far more of an effort, possibly involving a 4-track recorder...